RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/1029475-composite-arf-33%25-gee-bee-r2-first-flight-pics-videos-l%40%40k.html)

robersteam 12-06-2022 07:43 AM

great,thanks Richard.now i´ll cancel my glasses order,jajaja!
what do you think about landing gear extention,is it necessary or could i try it as it is?

RichardGee 12-06-2022 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by robersteam (Post 12753877)
great,thanks Richard.now i´ll cancel my glasses order,jajaja!
what do you think about landing gear extention,is it necessary or could i try it as it is?

The longer scale gear look SOOO much better.
Also, IF you build the plane and flying wires with the standard length gear, IF you want to replace them with the longer scale gear later, your flying wires will be too short.
The longer gear do not present a ground handling problem; they are a bit more work, but look alot better.
Your call...

robersteam 12-07-2022 06:53 AM

[QUOTE=RichardGee;12753893]The longer scale gear look SOOO much better.
Also, IF you build the plane and flying wires with the standard length gear, IF you want to replace them with the longer scale gear later, your flying wires will be too short.
The longer gear do not present a ground handling problem; they are a bit more work, but look alot better.
Your call...

i´ll study it a little more. unfortunatlly my old 3w turn out to be 120cc not 150 as i thought.it a 30 years old 3w 120b2

5th GeeBee 12-17-2022 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by robersteam (Post 12753861)
hello Richard,i just read the 36 pages manual from Carf web page and couldn´t find control surface deflections,i there any other manual or maybe i´m getting blind?,LoL

Heres's the thing...I doubt your a novice, building a CARF GB. It's a racing plane and as such requires minimum inputs. Your previouse experience will give you a pretty good idea of surface deflections....cut those down by about 25% to start with. More important than control surface travel is ailron differential. The R-2 and R-1 were yawing MF's. Benjamin claimed that even in straight and level flight the R-2 would "hunt" in yaw.
Build or program at least 35% differential.. I used 50% on mine.

5th GeeBee 12-17-2022 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 5th GeeBee (Post 12755193)
Heres's the thing...I doubt your a novice, building a CARF GB. It's a racing plane and as such requires minimum inputs. Your previouse experience will give you a pretty good idea of surface deflections....cut those down by about 25% to start with. More important than control surface travel is ailron differential. The R-2 and R-1 were yawing MF's. Benjamin claimed that even in straight and level flight the R-2 would "hunt" in yaw.

And a Demon Cortex

robersteam 12-19-2022 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by 5th GeeBee (Post 12755193)

hello,
no,I´m not novice.I build and fly since i was 14,i´m 44 now. Also I´m in use to speed.I have a Carf Ultraflash that flies 100% throttle whole flight,but i´d like to minimize chance of dissaster with this one.thanks for your data!!!

jvaliensi 12-19-2022 05:32 AM

[QUOTE=robersteam;12755322]hello,
no,I´m not novice.I build and fly since i was 14,i´m 44 now.
Sheeze - beginner!

5th GeeBee 12-19-2022 05:12 PM

I never said you were a beginner! Something got lost in translation. I said your NOT a novice or you wouldn't be building a CARF GB. (I'm 67 and I've been building since I was 10)
BTW. Carf has an updated pictorial manual that you can dowload after you contact them.. It's completely pictorial but is very useful. You'll have to contact them in Germany and it's a locked file or I'd forward you mine. I forgot the womans name there but she is prompt with emails and is very helpful.. ( Richard, your manual was fantastic but mine was missing the control surface travel page also)
Oh. Congrats on the World Cup!................Mark
(P.S. Are you in Northridge or Buenos Aires?)

robersteam 12-21-2022 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by 5th GeeBee (Post 12755386)
I never said you were a beginner! Something got lost in translation. I said your NOT a novice or you wouldn't be building a CARF GB. (I'm 67 and I've been building since I was 10)
BTW. Carf has an updated pictorial manual that you can dowload after you contact them.. It's completely pictorial but is very useful. You'll have to contact them in Germany and it's a locked file or I'd forward you mine. I forgot the womans name there but she is prompt with emails and is very helpful.. ( Richard, your manual was fantastic but mine was missing the control surface travel page also)

yes,i undestood.I´ll ask manual to Andreas. i live 20 miles from downtown,it´s been crazy.over 5 millon people were at 9 of july Av. to greet Soccer Team.

jvaliensi 12-21-2022 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by 5th GeeBee (Post 12755386)

My comment was a tongue in cheek joke - clearly you are not a beginner!

5th GeeBee 12-23-2022 09:01 AM

Now I feel stupid. If you are building a V1, something you might want to consider is adding extra reinforcement behind the motor dome or even replacing it with the updated carbon version.I'm pretty sure the carbon dome will fit perfectly. The old fiberglass dome had a tendancy to flex, unwinding the built in right thrust. We probably know each other. I'm guessing you fly at Appollo?

robersteam 12-26-2022 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by 5th GeeBee (Post 12755805)
Now I feel stupid. If you are building a V1, something you might want to consider is adding extra reinforcement behind the motor dome or even replacing it with the updated carbon version.I'm pretty sure the carbon dome will fit perfectly. The old fiberglass dome had a tendancy to flex, unwinding the built in right thrust. We probably know each other. I'm guessing you fly at Appollo?

i think i´ll add carfon fiber reinforcement to original one,or maybe make it new in CF, we don´t have any access to Carf parts here in Argentina,also Customs are very difficult to import one from Germany.

Airbusdriver74 01-06-2023 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 5th GeeBee (Post 12755196)
And a Demon Cortex

why specifically a Demon Cortex? I fly jeti and consider to put a jeti assist receiver in my GEEBEE. Is there an advantage using a cortex that’s missing in a assist receiver?

hannes83 01-07-2023 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Airbusdriver74 (Post 12757806)
why specifically a Demon Cortex? I fly jeti and consider to put a jeti assist receiver in my GEEBEE. Is there an advantage using a cortex that’s missing in a assist receiver?

It doesn´t matter if you use an iGyro, Cortex or a JETI assist - the main thing is, you use one - no matter the brand :-)

On the video you see a iGyro (plane with markings) and a JETI assist (plane without markings) - handle exact the same!

2x CARF GeeBee R2 in flight

All the best,
Hannes

Airbusdriver74 01-07-2023 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by hannes83 (Post 12757813)
It doesn´t matter if you use an iGyro, Cortex or a JETI assist - the main thing is, you use one - no matter the brand :-)

On the video you see a iGyro (plane with markings) and a JETI assist (plane without markings) - handle exact the same!

2x CARF GeeBee R2 in flight

All the best,
Hannes

that’s great to hear Hannes. Everybody is always talking about a demon in the geebee, never understood what makes the demon so special. I know Gernot had a demon in his geebee, maybe that’s where it comes from .

Stefan

hannes83 01-07-2023 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Airbusdriver74 (Post 12757815)
that’s great to hear Hannes. Everybody is always talking about a demon in the geebee, never understood what makes the demon so special. I know Gernot had a demon in his geebee, maybe that’s where it comes from .

Stefan

All bullsh** sorry! Stories from people who never built or flew one... if someone tells you something about a GeeBee and he cannot show you a video, where he flew the plane succesful, DON´T trust him!
I´m sooo tired of all the myths around the plane, told by people who has no idea...

PS: I built the one from Gernot and YES it had a Cortex - worked as great as the iGyro or the JETI assist... the airplane needs a pilot who does know what he is doing, the gyro is only the cherry on the cake...

All the best,
Hannes

5th GeeBee 01-07-2023 03:09 AM

I suggested Demon Cortex because that's the one I'm familiar with. It was well made, compact, and easy to program. I was told never to maiden with a Gyro on because the gains won't be established but I did it anyway and the results were spectacular on my CARF R-2..(Hannes, I don't have video.....guess you'll have to trust me) It required NO right rudder on takeoff and was very stable, I followed the mfg. suggestion and reduced the expo and started at 15% gain. I can't speak to the other brands. ( I'll say this though, I wouldn't touch the one Horizon sells with a ten foot pole).
Mark.

Airbusdriver74 01-07-2023 10:43 AM

I used long time ago a demon on another plane as well and yes it works fantastic. But programming the jeti assist is nicely integrated in the jeti transmitter. @Hannes, do you know which assist mode and gains/settings you’re using on your jeti system?
stefan

hannes83 01-11-2023 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Airbusdriver74 (Post 12757879)
I used long time ago a demon on another plane as well and yes it works fantastic. But programming the jeti assist is nicely integrated in the jeti transmitter. @Hannes, do you know which assist mode and gains/settings you’re using on your jeti system?
stefan

No, sorry - I built the plane for a customer and he did the maiden flight by himself. I never asked him about his settings.

Hannes

hannes83 01-11-2023 10:19 AM

The 50% is also growing fast ;-)

Thread: 50% GeeBee R2 powered by a 420cc VALACH radial

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d8fa85452c.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...75a733bdb1.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...a2d55a0f67.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...36d0b5ec27.jpg

5th GeeBee 01-11-2023 05:21 PM

That things *****en!
Is the fillet composite? RC Univewrse won't let you say Bitc*en? *****^n. B^tchen. How about *****. I don't like being censored. Especialy by an algorithm.
What if I say batchen and you replace the a with an i. Ridiculous.

hannes83 01-11-2023 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 5th GeeBee (Post 12758420)
That things *****en!
Is the fillet composite? RC Univewrse won't let you say Bitc*en? *****^n. B^tchen. How about *****. I don't like being censored. Especialy by an algorithm.
What if I say batchen and you replace the a with an i. Ridiculous.

In the end it will be a full composite airplane like the CARF and yes, the kits will be for sale after the prototype flew succesful :-)

robersteam 01-13-2023 04:35 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...5abc7bc2be.jpg
my LG mod,hope it reduce bouncing!!!

Airbusdriver74 01-13-2023 05:13 AM

Is it a spring or an oleo damper? I’m afraid it won’t dampen the landing if it’s just a spring

hannes83 01-13-2023 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by robersteam (Post 12758618)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...5abc7bc2be.jpg
my LG mod,hope it reduce bouncing!!!

We did the same thing many years ago, works perfect with the right one - if it´s to weak the landing will be a nightmare! The stiffer the better ;)
No more neccessary with the new CARF gear :)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...6325cff57f.jpg