RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Any Interest In............. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/1373749-any-interest.html)

Gammaman 12-23-2003 06:51 PM

Any Interest In.............

Is there any interest out there for a foam Ace Seamaster 120, or a 96" w/s Northrop Gamma, or a D-17 1/3- 1/4 scale Staggerwing? I am in the first stages of having these kit's cut by a professional Foam Cutter and would like to do more than just one kit each. Maybe even cheaper to do several at a time. These kit's would build with the same technique as a NWHT plane. After building a NWHT Gee Bee Z I will probably never do another stick plane of these sizes, so foam seams to be the answer. If there is any interest you can catch me here or e-mail me direct with any questions. Thanks 4 reading, Lon.

DougT 12-23-2003 07:19 PM

RE: Any Interest In.............

Gammaman,

I'm interested in the Seamaster 120. 3 friends and I are contemplating building from wood, but would be interested in a foamcore version. What do you expect the cost to be? What sort of time frame?

Doug

Gammaman 12-23-2003 10:34 PM

Doug,
Thanks 4 your interest. The Seamaster 120 I believe would lends itself to foam easier than the other two planes, so I would tackle that one first. I have the plane, plans and hardware like front wheel ass., landing wheels & axle that could be copied for the kit's if you choose to fly off the ground. If not no big deal. Mine has an ST 3000 but now you have more choices than in previous years when the kit's originally came out. There are still fiberglass componies around that make the glass nose & motor pod's.
Waiting to hear from a couple diff. foam cutters as to what info they need to start cutting. Also there was some talk about the Seamaster 120 having some recommended changes made, I need to find out what the changes were to make it handle a little better. If anyone has this info please fill me in.
As far as price and time per kit, this will depend on the cutter. I could only take a wild guess and I hate to do that at this time. I would think that it would have to be comparable to what a foam plane of comparable size would be. Right now just trying to get a feel of how much interest there is. You, 3 friends and I (5 planes) is a good start, enough to get excited about anyway. The secret to a fun build and a great flying 120 would be how good the foam cutter is. All else falls into place relatively easily. When I hear more I will fill you in. Thanks, Lon

DougT 12-24-2003 02:56 AM

Lon,

We all want to run 25-32cc gassers in ours. Are you talking about only the foam components? It would be easy to supply your own balsa and glue it on. I have a hot wire cutter and might just tackle this project after the new year. I printed out an article on how to build your own adjustable hot wire power supply and will have that done in Jan. I haven't talked to my 3 friends yet so I'm not sure if there "in".

As far as modifications, I searched the seaplane forum about 6 months ago and found a little info. It seems the rudder needs to be enlarged. You might want to do a search also. Let me know when you get some numbers.

Doug

Gammaman 12-24-2003 01:06 PM

Doug,
By the look of your bio seems you could tackle making your own foam plane! The fuse, and tail feathers would be fairly simple. The wing would be over my head. Plug in wings would be a nice touch also. There are several ways to make a "kit". One would be to just have the foam parts cut and sheet as you said. That's the direction I was going to go. Next would be a full blown kit with all balsa and hardware, and anything in-between. First would be to get a proto done and flying though.
Looks like a little bigger rudder and a stronger landing gear is the recomended revisions. No big deal. As I said mine was built with a ST 3000, I have another ST 3000 on gas I would like to try. Maybe even experiment with another gas powerplant. Lon

Gammaman 01-11-2004 02:43 PM

Doug, sent you an e-mail ......................... Lon

Birddog-RCU 01-11-2004 10:57 PM

I would be very interested in a Staggerwing.

barek 01-17-2004 11:10 PM

Very interested in a 1/4 scale Staggerwing...I'm patiently waiting for NZ to finish his plans...later this year is the last I heard but would like something sooner!

Gary

livinlrg 12-26-2004 07:59 PM

I would like to build a gamma can anyone help me find a kit or plans?

Thanks
Don