RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   composite arf yak? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/1712546-composite-arf-yak.html)

DKjens 06-10-2004 01:07 PM

RE: composite arf yak?

Steven,

Maybe you can sell your hair [8D] and get enough extra dough together to get this Yak :D

DKjens

Texas 3D 06-10-2004 02:05 PM

well think I got it all figured out now. So here is my setup for the hopefully soon to arrive Yak 2.6m :

8x JR 8611's on all surfaces.
1x JR 2721 on Throttle
1x JR 4721 on choke (not sure yet if I want a choke servo but it's so nice to have one ;) )
3x JR Matchboxes (ailerons and rudder)
1 or 2x JR 955 PCM receiver (not sure yet)
2x 4400 mah Fromeco Lithium Ion (regulated to 6V) on rx and matchboxes.
1x 2200 mah Fromeco Lithium Ion (regulated to 5.4 V) on ignition.
3x JR Heavy Duty Charge Switches (2x rx and 1x ignition)
Don Harris Smoke system
DA-100 for power
KS Canister front exhaust
Biela 27x10 Prop
CF Spinner from DA

Sounds good ? All comments welcome

JohnVH 06-10-2004 02:34 PM

Texas, your going to LOVE that setup!! You have to get us a bunch of pics of that baby all done. What scheme did you get? Were gonna need a bio and pics for our site from ya;)

Texas 3D 06-10-2004 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Texas, your going to LOVE that setup!! You have to get us a bunch of pics of that baby all done. What scheme did you get? Were gonna need a bio and pics for our site from ya;)
got the red, yelllow and blue one too (same scheme as schroedm). Should ship any day now. Snatched the last one of the conatiner that arrived this week. :D
Will make sure and get pictures once done.

JohnVH 06-10-2004 03:29 PM

awesome! Im jealouse!!

Texas 3D 06-10-2004 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

awesome! Im jealouse!!
well, you got the BIG version. I'll trade ;):)

JohnVH 06-10-2004 03:31 PM

haha, yes I did.. I want both!:p

schroedm 06-10-2004 05:01 PM

Started on mine tonight with the main gear & tailwheel. Nightmare! The carbon main legs were too large for the sleeves and it took me about 2hrs to sand/file them so they fitted. Then I moved to the tailwheel and had a few problems as the fuselage is not flat at the rear so I had to re-shape the tailwheel clamps to conform to the round section! The spats were dead easy to fit though. See pics.....

My setup is pretty much the same as Texas 3D's - Texas, I wouldn't bother with a choke servo if you have a kill switch of somesort - that cowl is so open it's a doddle to reach in and flip the choke plus you'll save 3oz!

JohnVH 06-10-2004 05:16 PM

alright! Nice start!

Paul Cataldo 06-10-2004 05:57 PM

Hey Vic,
Got a question I need your help with. Where did you end up putting your Rx batteries? I am about to solder on some special MPX connectors that have to be used with the Emcotec DPSI, and I need to know if my battery leads are going to be long enough to be able to obtain correct cg. As of now, I've got about 6" of lead coming off the Rx batteries, and that will pretty much put the batteries right up next to the Emcotec DPSI itself, UNLESS I solder on some extra wire, to be able to move the batteries farther away from the DPSI.
So, WHERE did you end up putting your Rx batteries? Any idea on where my two 4400's might have to go? I'm using two 4400 Fromeco Lithiums, DA100 on standard mufflers, c/f spinner, Emcotec DPSI unit, and c/f tailwheel that weighs less than 3 oz.
BTW Vic, Did you ever receive my self-addressed, stamped envelope for the control horn locating pieces?
Thanks!

Kevin (Eruption) - If you are reading this, let us know where YOUR Rx batteries are too. (If I recall, I think you might have already posted a pic, but I don't recall the Rx batteries)

Vicster 06-10-2004 06:43 PM

Hey Paul
Got an answer. The reciever pack is on the "shelf" in front of the wing tube. I located it on the right side close to the side of the fuselage. I f you install everything in front of the wing tube ( as you should ) I think 6" of lead will be long enough to reach your DPSI. BTW how big is the DPSI? If it will fit, mount it in the center of the "shelf" and the batterys on either side. I mounted the ignition battery on the firewall to the right of the ignition unit. ( see picture on page four ) My lateral CG came out right on. ( got lucky )
And yes, I did recieve your envolope. I have been side tracked with work, but will send the templates VERY soon. My apoligies for the delay. Have you got YAK? LOL
Vicster FL-PSU

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

Hey Vic,
Got a question I need your help with. Where did you end up putting your Rx batteries? I am about to solder on some special MPX connectors that have to be used with the Emcotec DPSI, and I need to know if my battery leads are going to be long enough to be able to obtain correct cg. As of now, I've got about 6" of lead coming off the Rx batteries, and that will pretty much put the batteries right up next to the Emcotec DPSI itself, UNLESS I solder on some extra wire, to be able to move the batteries farther away from the DPSI.
So, WHERE did you end up putting your Rx batteries? Any idea on where my two 4400's might have to go? I'm using two 4400 Fromeco Lithiums, DA100 on standard mufflers, c/f spinner, Emcotec DPSI unit, and c/f tailwheel that weighs less than 3 oz.
BTW Vic, Did you ever receive my self-addressed, stamped envelope for the control horn locating pieces?
Thanks!

Kevin (Eruption) - If you are reading this, let us know where YOUR Rx batteries are too. (If I recall, I think you might have already posted a pic, but I don't recall the Rx batteries)

Paul Cataldo 06-10-2004 10:44 PM

Thanks Vic,
The DPSI is approximately 3 1/4" wide x 7" long. Only about 1/2" thick (tall).
I appreciate ALL of the help you have given on this project. I feel like I've already got the plane built inside my head, ten times over! I've been going through the entire process over an over! Bottom line: = I'M READY MAN!!

But no, I have not received my plane yet. It's looking like sometime next week, I guess. I keep on checking the "status" on the Composite Arf website, and it is STILL the same.
I wish something would hurry up out there with the dang container....[:o]

Anyhow, no problem on the wood plates, I was just checking.
Keep in touch bud.

Paul Cataldo 06-10-2004 10:51 PM

Hey guys,
Now that Schroedm has mentioned his tailwheel issue, it has me wondering if a c/f tailwheel (specifically the carbon pro from R/C Blimp Productions) will work? The tailwheel is a FLAT piece of carbon fiber where it mounts to the fuse. Will I be able to make it work, without it wanting to "roll" over to either side of the fuse, when it is under impact on landing? Thanks.

Darrinc 06-11-2004 01:10 AM

For the carbon tailwheel you could make a fillet out of epoxy/microballoons/milled fibers, but then your heavy. It looks like this is going to be a Haig type tailwheel plane. Thats cool, they look more scale anyway. Dave Patrick makes a light one.

schroedm 06-11-2004 03:34 AM

Paul,

I would say that a "flat" tailwheel simply won't work without building up epoxy/microballons under it as Darrinc suggested. Any sideways load on landing would cause the mount to 'roll' and could well pull it out.

I got my tailwheel from www.TroyBuiltModels.com - it's a nice bit of kit.

Rgds,
Mark

Eruption 06-11-2004 05:37 AM

You can dremel away part of the fuse to expose the hardwood for mounting the tailwheel if you want to use a Troybuilt of any flat tailwheel.

Kevin

Sorry not to have posted any followups lately. I have not been home for a week and a half....and am just heading out the door for another week.

Eruption 06-11-2004 05:44 AM

Paul,

I started with everything in front of the wingtube. When I picked up the airplane by the wingtube, the airplane gently tipped forward. Like this, it flew nose heavy. I have since moved the batteries such that the airplane tips very slowly backward. Actually, if you put two fingers in the tube and try to squeeze them into the back half of the tube the plane will balance. I have found that to be perfect for IMAC.

As for 3d, I have added 8 oz directly to the tailwheel and the airplane is STILL super stable....not pitch sensitive at all! Chris from Extreme Flight flew it last week in this configuration and liked it, but I think it could still use even another ounce or two.

Vicster 06-11-2004 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul- here is one idea of how to mount a flat tailwheel mount. Install two hard dowels into the supplied hardwood in the fuselage. Pre-drill the dowels so as NOT to split them when installing the screws. It works fine on the Yak. Notice the 1/16" space between fuse and mount. This will allow a solid, flat surface for the mount to rest on. Use 30 minute epoxy/fibre for strength.
Vicster FL-PSU

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

Hey guys,
Now that Schroedm has mentioned his tailwheel issue, it has me wondering if a c/f tailwheel (specifically the carbon pro from R/C Blimp Productions) will work? The tailwheel is a FLAT piece of carbon fiber where it mounts to the fuse. Will I be able to make it work, without it wanting to "roll" over to either side of the fuse, when it is under impact on landing? Thanks.

Vicster 06-11-2004 06:13 AM

Hey Eruption- glad to hear your flights are going well! We have about 12 flights now. It is an awsome plane! With the full length tuned pipes, we came out a little tail heavy. After flying, it needs a little more for 3D. Going to add some today to fine tune it. Also, for first flights, we used a Menz 27/10 prop. Now installed a Mezlech(?) 28/10 carbon. This should also make a "flying" difference. Only other thing is, with 27" wood prop, it would pull slightly to the right on up lines. We'll see what it does with the carbon. If needed, we will take 1/2 degree OUT of right thrust. Other than fine tuning the plane it has been flawlwss in flight. I hope your haveing as much fun as we are! Later.
Vicster FL-PSU

ORIGINAL: Eruption

Paul,

I started with everything in front of the wingtube. When I picked up the airplane by the wingtube, the airplane gently tipped forward. Like this, it flew nose heavy. I have since moved the batteries such that the airplane tips very slowly backward. Actually, if you put two fingers in the tube and try to squeeze them into the back half of the tube the plane will balance. I have found that to be perfect for IMAC.

As for 3d, I have added 8 oz directly to the tailwheel and the airplane is STILL super stable....not pitch sensitive at all! Chris from Extreme Flight flew it last week in this configuration and liked it, but I think it could still use even another ounce or two.

Texas 3D 06-11-2004 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Started on mine tonight with the main gear & tailwheel. Nightmare! The carbon main legs were too large for the sleeves and it took me about 2hrs to sand/file them so they fitted. Then I moved to the tailwheel and had a few problems as the fuselage is not flat at the rear so I had to re-shape the tailwheel clamps to conform to the round section! The spats were dead easy to fit though. See pics.....

My setup is pretty much the same as Texas 3D's - Texas, I wouldn't bother with a choke servo if you have a kill switch of somesort - that cowl is so open it's a doddle to reach in and flip the choke plus you'll save 3oz!
Looks great. You are right about the choke servo. Will forget about using it. The cowl should be big enough to stick my fat hand in there :D
What wheels are you using, and what size. I am thinking about using the Kavan wheels because they are so light but looks like they might not be that appropiate for flying of pavement. I read in another thread that they puncture and go flat to easy. Any comments or suggestions ? Thanks

schroedm 06-11-2004 12:19 PM

Texas,

I'm using the 5" Kavans mainly because they weigh 5oz a pair!!!!! On my 2.6m Extra I had some 5" Sullivans wheels that when I took them off I realised they weighed 10oz EACH [X(]

I fly off of grass so I don't think wear will be an issue. If you really want to keep the weight down, use them and replace them once they wear out otherwise switch to the lightweight Dubro wheels that I believe a lot of guys are using off of pavement with no issues.

Rgds,
Mark

Paul Cataldo 06-11-2004 08:28 PM

I've used Kavans successfully on paved runways, but they are NOT the best option.
I wouldn't use the Skylites either, as they, as stated above, are HEAVY.
Truly the best option is the Dubro treaded lites. Not the air filled ones, but the solid ones. I'm going to use the 4.5", but you can use 5" also. The manual calls for 5", but 4.5" will be plenty big, and save a little weight.

To everyone else:
I've always used carbon fiber tailwheels, and nothing else in the past. What is the BEST Haigh style tailwheel? Ohio superstar?
I will not use the Dave Patrick, as it is cheap, and I will not give their company my money. MANY BAD experiences with their customer service, has left a VERY bad taste in my mouth. To put it mildly.
Anyhow, just trying to find out the best haigh style tailwheel out there.
I will also look into a KLETT tailwheel, as I think I researched them a while back, and they looked to be good.

Darrinc 06-11-2004 08:35 PM

Ohio superstar is the heaviest of all. Give Gene a call at Troy Built Models, if anyone knows where to find a light one, he will!

I have some 4.5" H9 Pro Lite wheels that are 4.5oz.

Paul Cataldo 06-11-2004 10:00 PM

Yeah, I forgot about the H9 wheels. Never used them, but always wanted to try them out.
Thanks.

Paul Cataldo 06-12-2004 04:18 PM

Well guys,
About a week and a half ago, my Composite Arf rep told me I should have my plane by yesterday, 6/11/04.
Well,
My online "STATUS" has not even changed yet!
Does anyone know how the online "status" works? Does it EVER change, or does it change only a day or so before delivery of your aircraft?
I just really figured it would have changed by now....[:o]