RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   composite arf yak? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/1712546-composite-arf-yak.html)

Mike3579 09-11-2005 09:48 AM

RE: composite arf yak?

I have a wood 27X10 menz but the prop will not balance at all. I've tried everything. It drops like a rock on the one side. Funny thing is I bought two of them at the same time from DA and the other 27X10 balanced perfectly.

RTK 09-11-2005 11:09 AM

Crash-
Keep us informed on your progress, I am thinking of this Yak with your set-up. I am interested where you will be mounting items to balance.

dorfriedman 09-11-2005 02:04 PM

Hello guys,

Here is a link to my first video with my new yak 2.6

The airplane powered by DA-100 , and Biela 28X10. JR DS-8611a all around . I have the DPSI RV MINI 5, and two longgo 3300 bataries from EMCOTEC. The yak flying very well and light, and I had great time with him. The harriers are realy stable, and there is a lot of power.

In the video is the third flight with this model. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.planesandmodels.com/image...os/yak55sp.wmv

Dor Friedman

GoeKeli 09-11-2005 02:46 PM

Dor, that is my new favorite video! Nice flying and the scheme is top on my list. Will you get a spinner? Nice TRs!

Joe

Crash90 09-11-2005 03:12 PM

RTK. Good enough. I have most of the parts on order just waiting for them to arrive. I have decided to make my own servo extensions. I'll let you know how it goes.

flyingcrazy 09-11-2005 04:05 PM

I have a used set of cans and headers for DA 100 in great shape for sale they were in my 26 Yak.

Mike3579 09-11-2005 08:11 PM

That was the best video of the 2.6 yak I have seen so far!:D

stomper 09-12-2005 08:36 AM

Hey Dor

I have to say as well, Thats the best video I have seen of this plane too!

I just started putting one together and i am going with dual horns on all surfaces cut from G12 so as to use ball links.

Whats your AUW and where do you have the CG set at?

Thanks

pfact 09-12-2005 01:54 PM

Does anyone know of a supplier that makes fiberglass cowl vents for this plane?

Thanks,

Phil

rcdart 09-12-2005 02:38 PM

For fibreglass vents look here http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

Mick

Mike3579 09-12-2005 02:58 PM

Stomper I doubled up all my control horns also. I'm using the SWB double lock servo arms and I'm also using ball links and the stock control horns flex way to much. If your going to use ball links you MUST double up the stock control horns or use something different.

rcdart 09-13-2005 04:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike3579

If your going to use ball links you MUST double up the stock control horns or use something different.
Desert Aircraft Australia sell a horn upgrade kit made from different material, you can use a single blade with ball links, work real good.

[email protected]

stomper 09-13-2005 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Mike3579

Stomper I doubled up all my control horns also. I'm using the SWB double lock servo arms and I'm also using ball links and the stock control horns flex way to much. If your going to use ball links you MUST double up the stock control horns or use something different.

Hey Mike

You mean like this ( see picture )

The stock horn material is G10 fiberglass i belive and i'm using G12 which is much much stronger material.
Same weight as the stock surface horns though. The stock horns flex so much there is no way i would bolt up a ball link to the side of just one horn!

Has any one weighed the Fiberglass Specialties vents they offer, against the weight of the stock vents?

Thanks

Mike3579 09-13-2005 04:17 PM

Yep thats what I'm talkin about ! You can't go wrong there. :D I have the fiber glass specialties louvers but I don't have a scale that would weigh something like that so I will make a trip to Wally World and pick up a scale and weigh them. I'm going to use the stock louvers anyways I think but I will hold on to them just in case.

ben beyer 09-13-2005 05:43 PM

I saw on another site, which will remain nameless because the name is blocked here on RCU, where the author named Joe Hunt just simply drilled a hole in the proper location, tapped it, and then put a rocket city horn in it. That's what I would do.

mrc100 09-13-2005 07:25 PM

I'm thinking of ordering one of these but I want to be sure of the dimensions. The CF site indicates a length of 91". Can someone tell me if this measurement takes a spinner into consideration or is it from tail to cowl?

Thanks,
Mike

hobdean 09-13-2005 10:18 PM

dorfriedman,
Yours is the second yak I have seen not wing rock.
Where is your cg?

Mine was just behind the wing tube and it would wing rock real bad in an upright harrier. I moved it forward to the middle of the wing and it still rocked. I got it down some but have to fly it all the way, there is no letting up. Your angle was more than 45 and maybe that helped.
I am Useing a 27x10 menz prop, noticed your prop was 28x10 did you ever try a 27x10?

flyingcrazy 09-13-2005 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would ask here first . I have for sale a set of 2.6 cans and headers used but in great shape . They were in my 2.6 C.A. YAK. $349 NEW plus shipping I will take $275 shipped. Thanks Rodney

skreamer 09-13-2005 11:20 PM

Hey fellas I am installinga set of cans in a sxtra and need to know:

1. what is the rubber that goes on the rear former amd wher do you get it?
2. are those springs over the top of the cans holding them down on the former? and where do you get those? and length of springs?

Mike3579 09-14-2005 09:51 AM

Need help here. Looks like my maiden flight will be tommoro providing the weather holds. What should I have for throws on AILERON and ELEVATOR on LOW rates. On high rates I have as much as I could get and I dialed in EXPO .

Banker 09-14-2005 05:13 PM

Has anyone used the stock 3W106 mufflers on this plane. If so can you post some pics. Thanks ever so much.

propwashed 09-14-2005 05:37 PM

I'm in the final assembly stages of my 2.6 Yak. I purchased the white kit with red bottom and went ahead and painted it. The plane looks great but I know the airframe weight has been increased. I never weighed the original out of the box airframe prior to painting. I guess what I need to know is. How heavy can this bird be ready to fly, and still maintain excellant flight characteristics?

Just a little worried...

Thanks, Tripp

skreamer 09-14-2005 11:04 PM

Hey all you techno-wizards I need a reply to post 1269. Is this something you all have made yourselves or is this something that can be ordered as an accesory and if so where?

rcdart 09-15-2005 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is just under 30Lb, no worries, flies like a dream, my 2.6 extra is 27lb, and the Yak feels like it flies lighter.

Mick

stomper 09-15-2005 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: skreamer

Hey fellas I am installinga set of cans in a sxtra and need to know:

1. what is the rubber that goes on the rear former amd wher do you get it?
2. are those springs over the top of the cans holding them down on the former? and where do you get those? and length of springs?
The pipe supports are made from lite plywood and silicone tubing.
If you support the pipe in the middle and at the end and keep it from moving fore and aft. you will not have any problems.
You can use springs, but most don't.

Here is just one place to buy silicone tubing >
http://www.aerotrend.com/index.php?c...2a4275598e2673

HTH