RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   composite arf yak? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/1712546-composite-arf-yak.html)

propwashed 10-13-2005 11:29 PM

RE: composite arf yak?

I have'nt added springs yet but I think i'm gonna drill a hole down low behind the hinge pin (clearing the rotation to the fuse) on the rudder and run and epoxy a piece of threaded 2-56 or 4-40 threaded rod through the rudder and attach small thread-on horns to it for the springs to attach to. My initial thoughts...

ramrod 10-21-2005 11:09 AM

:)Hey All - I just tested mine yesterday and am very happy with it - she flys like a dream for sure ! Thanks again to the great deal from Mike (from earlier post) and the fine job he did on putting it all together - Great job Mike !! After 2 great normal flts I started to SPANK it some on the 3rd flt and she performed wonderful !! Does beautiful upright and inverted flats, harriers, knife edge loops, shoulder snapps, waterfalls, etc.... and lands like a trainer too :D! The DA-100 rules and has wonderful unlimited power and it is also brand new with just a 27x10 woody on it. Real anxious to get out and have some more FUN with my new baby ASAP !! PS - I did not put any springs on the tail wheel yet and it is a bear to try to taxi in the wind - not to bad on high rates holding full up to add pressure on the tail end. I will be putting springs on it for sure ! Keep havin FUN and enjoy!! [8D]

DMichael 10-21-2005 01:11 PM

Rod,

Congrats on your new plane.

Just don't let you know who fly it- I'm not sure your heart could take it!

Dave

LOUM 10-21-2005 10:34 PM

WHAT A WONDERFUL FEELING. THAT IS CALLED SUCCESS. GOOD ON YA. :)

pfact 10-23-2005 08:20 PM

2 questions for the group at large.

1) What is the best place/route to bring the fuel tank vent through the fuselage (pictures would be very much appreciated)?

2) for those using flex headers - what did you use to wrap the headrs to limit leakage into the fuselage?

Phil

Hoss 10-24-2005 10:25 AM

Regarding the flex headers you can use teflon tape and wrap around the flex part of the header. Eventually the header will seal it's self.

Crash90 10-24-2005 11:06 AM

can anybody post pics of their tailwheel assembly? I am having trouble figuring out the best way to attach the springs. Thanks.

LOUM 10-24-2005 04:46 PM

I used a "T" shaped attachment on the rudder and attached springs to it. Got the unit from Dave Patrick Models. He has pic's posted on his web page. A very simple (2 small sheet metal screws) backed up with CA. VERY EFFECTIVE. Good luck.
Lou

FLYEDGE 10-26-2005 06:18 PM

Hi all

Anyone have pics of the bottom of the Fantasy yak. Would like to see some before I order one.

Thanks[8D]

rcdart 10-28-2005 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: dkaisken

Hi all

Anyone have pics of the bottom of the Fantasy yak. Would like to see some before I order one.

Thanks[8D]
I can take some if you like, but the wings and stabs are red, the fuse is yellow at the front turning red toward the back. simple as that

FLYEDGE 10-28-2005 09:43 AM

Thanks RCdart

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure about. You don't need to take any pictures.

PTS 10-28-2005 05:19 PM

Somewhere in this post was a picture or a drawing of the pull-pull cable exits on the fuselage. I have looked and looked. Also how does the 3W-106 compare to a DA-100 on this plane? I really do not want to run tuned pipes due to the weight or maybe I am thinking wrong. Looking for options...

Perry

Mike3579 10-28-2005 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's that picture!:D

PTS 10-30-2005 12:56 AM

Thanks for the pic! I have a few more questions on the Yak.

1. What has been done successfully to prevent wing rock in this plane?

2. RCDART had someone make him alluminum vents. I e-mailed him to find out who made the vents. Does anyone have an answer on this?

3. I like what I read about the 3w-106. I am at 3300 ft and does this engine really make a comparable difference over the competition? Loaded question I know. If I were to install this engine w/ headers and tuned pipes could someone please summarize how the installation went and what components were used.

Thanks in advance,

Perry

GoeKeli 10-30-2005 07:35 AM

Does anyone have a light 75 or 80 in this plane? How does it balance? The 3.3 is still by far my favorite 40% but maybe some of the not so great things about the 2.6 can be improved if it was lighter. Thanks for that picture!~)

Joe

propwashed 10-30-2005 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just completed mine with the 106 w/cans . The installation was straight up and no hassel. The only semi tricky part is the can installation because they actually kinda tuck behind the gear mains wich come through the fuse on a diagnal right were you woud want the front of the cans to be. The cans must be inserted one at a time into the support (wich you need to make at the back of the cannister tunnel) before mounting the engine to the fire wall. Then mount the engine with headers already installed and make the connection to the cans at the same time. this took a little patience at first and I'm sure I dropped a few F bombs in the process but now it's no big deal. Just worry about the engine mounting, holes, and allignment first get all that adjusted and test fit then deal with the cans. The 106 will mount directly on the firewall per the instructions. The right thrust is already built in the FW. I believe the offset was 1/4-5/16" to the left (viewed from the cockpit of course). To find center vertically; cut a piece of scrap balsa stick that just fits snug top and bottom in the fuse against the firewall. This will take several attemps and when it fits good just measure the total lenghth and split the distance. This process worked great for me. I ended up moving the engine forward/out 1/2" to help with the CG. BTW, This plane and engine combo are Awsome!! This plane floats like a trainer on landings with "NO Bad Habbits!!!"

FWI It's very difficult to access the header bolts when the engine is mounted so make sure they are installed good and tite with lock tite prior to running.

PTS 10-30-2005 09:11 PM

Hello!

What are the part#'s for the headers and cans? Did you buy the engine and accessories from Cactus Aviation or Aicraft International? Also is the engine the Competition/TOC series? The paintjob on your plane is phenemonal! Is the cowl paint or vinyl? What does your plane weigh?

Thanks for the response,

Perry

propwashed 10-30-2005 09:26 PM

Bobby at Catus just sent me everything I needed. I didn't even ask what brand cans/ they were but he will know what you need for that plane. I believe it's all 3W stuff. I pretty sure if you order it all at once (engine cans, headers, prop) He will make it right with you. Sorry No part#'s. Nothing is marked on the parts. This is the standard 3W 106-B2 with the new crank and new style ignition. I'm still in the break-in mode with about 12 flights on it. This motor is sweet. This was the white with red bottom version from Comp Arf I painted it including the cowl ring The only vinyl on the plane is Logo's ect. I'm right at 30lbs. Seems heavy but flys very light. I was concerned about wieght at first but now I don't even care. I know lighter is better. but this plane hovers just fine with plenty of power to pull up and out of site. Still feeling it out though not getting too crazy down low yet.

flyinrazrback 10-30-2005 09:32 PM

PTS, I had the red bull yak, I used a 3w QS 106 and the full length pipes KS 1090s. It weighed 26lbs and was a rocket. I have seen the yaks with a DA on full pipes, and there is not really a comparison beteen them. The 106 loves tuned pipes. Mejzlik 28x10 @7300 and Mejzlik 29x10 @6600. If I had to do it over again I would still go this route. No mods to keep it light, 4 aileron servos, 2 per ele, 2 per rudder on pull/pull, 2 TBM 2800 rx batteries, 1 2800 ignition battery, pete model spinner, smart fly power expander and super regulator. Another 1/2 lb could be saved if using a carbon wing tube.

PS, if you wanted to drop some weight, another good option would be a BME 110 on cans, it wont put out as much as the 106, but will save you some weight there.

PTS 10-30-2005 10:00 PM

Thanks Guys! The QC 3W-106 it will be. Below is how I will setup my plane. For the most part I have everything listed. Plane should be here shortly . . .

CA 2.6m Yak Red/White
CA Tailwheel
PBG Composites Wing Tube
TBM CF Stab Tube
Fiberglass Specialties Louvers
8 - JR 8611a Control Surfaces w/ 1.5" SWB Half Arms
1 - JR 2721 Throttle
JR XP-9303 TX
JR 649 Receiver
32oz fuel tank
Smartfly Ign Cutoff
Smartfly Power Expander
Smartfly Super Regulator
1 Fromeco Lithium Ion 2400mAH Ignition
2 Fromeco Lithium Ion 2400mAH RX
5" Kavan Wheels
5" True Turn P-51 Spinner (depend on c.g.)
3W-106 QS w/ Headers and Tuned Pipes

Perry

flyinrazrback 10-30-2005 10:07 PM

PTS, if you are going to go with cans anyhow, go with the full pipes 1090s, trust me its worth it on the 106. I use the smart fly power expander and turbo regulator, very easy to setup, very clean, and doesnt weigh that much, plus has a failsafe switch. Also, with a 106 and cans, my friends needed a few ounces of weight in the tail, so you might want to hold off on the carbon stab tube, also 2800 rx batteries will give plenty of flight time and half the weigh of the 4800s. Even mine with the full pipes needed some tailweight.

propwashed 10-30-2005 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's afew pics of the inside. I did need toi reinforce the area were the rudder servo tray mounts to the fuse this area is weak and flexes. If you look close you can see that I built a new rudder servo tray and modified the fuel tank box. The rudder tray mounts to the fuse and then I installed arms back to the wing tube. What was happening was the servo tray would flex when you apply rudder. Not anymore. Also I went with the power expander super regulator and dual 2800's ion's on the Rx and 1 2800 ion on the ignition. No optic kill switch the choke works great. and you will use it alot when starting. So a servo for choke is the way I went. Flynrazrback gave me all the info on the set up and I'm very pleased with the way it all works

PTS 10-30-2005 10:24 PM

The lithium deal makes me uneasy due to the fact I really do not understand just yet. I have two 4800mAH and I assume that one will be entirely enough power for the RX and save weight. The reason I bought or was talked into two 4800mAH was for redundancy. When you use the Power Expander and the Turbo Regulator do you do away with the Fromeco Super Regulated Switches? The other thing with my setup is that everything is wired JR and the other thing I might regret is the push-pull pin power switch. Also what does 3W say about what to use for the ignition on the 106 meaning do we use a regulator?

Thanks for the help!

Perry

propwashed 10-30-2005 10:30 PM

No regulator needed on the ignition (don't use one!!!) need seperate 2800 on the ignition. I went with the heavy duty switches from Smartfly I didn't use the pin and flag that came with the super regulator. The heavy duty switches have deans leads that the regulator plugs into also. My system is JR also. I wanted charge jacks on the outside of the fuse. So the heavy duty switches were the ticket for me. Although nothing at at wrong with the pin and flag setup. 2 HD switches for the rx paks and 1 standard wire switch for the ignition pak. It also came with seperate charge jacks that can be mounted on the fuse to clip in a standard jr lead.

flyinrazrback 10-30-2005 10:32 PM

with the smart fly power expander and turbo regulator, it comes with your choice of switch, either a standard switch or a pin and flag switch, either works well. I am not saying use one 4800 pack, but instead, use 2 2400 or 2800 packs, this will save quite a bit of weight. My setup as mentioned above I could get 12 flights easy on a full charge. If you get a brand new 3W with the new ignition, you run a straight lithium, no regulator, a regulator will damage the ignition.