RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Please Help Me>>> Bonanza Tail Dragger (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/172614-please-help-me-bonanza-tail-dragger.html)

raskco 06-24-2002 03:20 AM

Please Help Me>>> Bonanza Tail Dragger

1 Attachment(s)
Ok.. I have a Bonanza piece of sh__ that I've been trying to get airborn for a while.. It has gone up 4 time and was under powered with the 90 super tigre).. Now I have a 3250 in the pig... Why a pig, Well I need 3 pounds of weight in the front to get the cg right.. (1 pound now that I have the 3250 in her.. Flying weight is 15 pounds... The problem is that I don't feel like building that whole front wheel bracket brace thing cuz it came off on the last dead stick due to the lead in the front)... I want to put landing gear in the front and make it a tail dragger for this year... (not scale I know but I'm fet up) Now being a tail dragger BEECHCRAFT BONANZA, Would it be alright.... The wing would be on a slant..
Meanning the trailling edge would be around 2 1/2 inches below the leading edge... Has any one converted there's yet??
I'll re do the plane right in the summer.. Tail dragger is the easiest and the fastest way for me.. But UI don't want to do it unless I know it might work... Or I'll sell it for 100 us plane only...
Condition is good except for the front landing gear brace... I could send pics...

raskco 06-24-2002 03:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another pic.

rc-sport 06-24-2002 01:07 PM

Sounds like you have the Cg all wrong, don't always go by what the instructions tell you. Look in last months Model Airplane News there is a great article on how to calculate CG. A nose heavy plane will be hard to take off and will land hard on its nose gear. Personally I'd check the CG again before any mods are made.

Yak18 06-26-2002 11:38 PM

No problem making it a tail dragger except that that would be a lot of work too...to move the main gear ahead of the CG instead of behind where it is now and adding a tail wheel. I don't recommend it!

You said you were fed up with it, I noted. This is a hobby which is supposed to be fun! Not frustrating! When I am fed up with an airplane, I sell it (or chop it up so it fits in my trash can) and get back to having fun.

Yak

INJUN_EAR 06-27-2002 12:06 AM

Originally posted by rc_sport
Sounds like you have the Cg all wrong, don't always go by what the instructions tell you. Look in last months Model Airplane News there is a great article on how to calculate CG. A nose heavy plane will be hard to take off and will land hard on its nose gear. Personally I'd check the CG again before any mods are made.

Ordinarily I would agree, however this is a pig of an airplane.
Mine has 2 1/2 pounds in the nose and the plan is clearly in error concerning the CG. This had been talked about many times on it's first kit release a few years ago.
This airplane is inherently tailheavy. I can understand his frustration.
Making it a taildragger however would be extremely difficult, if not impossible. This was/is the last Top Flite airplane I'll ever build. They (Great planes were evasive, and downright denied that there was any problem with this airplane at all, despite all the complaints about the ridiculous power plant they recommended and the obvious CG problem on the plan.
Top Flite kits are extremely tedious and time consuming to build, and unnecessarily so.
It's no mystery to me why their Giant Scale airplanes are poor sellers, making choices like the use of their own junker, the US41.
I guess they're the biggest now so they can be the most arrogant.

http://injun-ear.freeyellow.com/bonanza1.jpg