RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Comparf 2.3m with zdz 80 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2258969-comparf-2-3m-zdz-80-a.html)

Mattyb 10-16-2004 09:43 AM

Comparf 2.3m with zdz 80

Hi guys

Have been out of the game for a bit but am looking to get back into it with a 2.3 zdz 80 combo and am looking for opinions please. Would this combo be a good 3der or is it getting on the sluggish side. Am still learning 3d but only really have hovering left to learn. Was flying an 80" with da 50 .Was considering the 2.6 but the DA 100 is 1000Aus$ more than the zdz 80 so the 2.3 sounds like the cheaper option for me( price is a factor). So opinions on plane or engine please. I have done a search but there isnt to much info there.

Thanks guys

Matt

rmh 10-16-2004 10:11 AM

RE: Comparf 2.3m with zdz 80

2.3 with ZDZ80 single- It doesn't get much better than that -
According to my underground information -yet another of these combos will surface this weekend---
It isn't for the faint of heart-------------------

GoeKeli 10-16-2004 12:30 PM

Dick, do you mean next weekend?;)

joe

WILDMAN 420 10-16-2004 08:01 PM

If you use a C/F wing and stab tube, plus li-po's you shoulld have an incredible flying machine, Derrinc just finished a 2.6 YAK using C/F na dhe got it down to 23 pounds!!, with a da 100, I am going to try a zdz 80 in my 2.6 YAK, and use the same set-up as he did.

Mattyb 10-16-2004 09:01 PM

I was thinking about going the 2.6 with the 80 and building light with one servo per aileron(8611) heard someone had done this. But the price difference is still a big factor. the white 2.6 is still 500 more to my door than the 2.3. Plus i dont want to muck a round with cannisters or anything.

Does anyone have info on a 2.6 with stock zdz80 single.??

WILDMAN 420 10-16-2004 09:28 PM

he is flying with just stock cans on his 100, one 5945 per aileron and a 5735 for the rudder, i am gonna use my 80 with my own design exhaust, similar power to a JMB can.

Mattyb 10-16-2004 09:31 PM

Hmmm the more research i do the more i think i will go the 2.6 with stock zdz80, and gws servos. maybe i am game or stupid who knows but the price is right then. i know it wouldnt be a powerhouse but might be enough for me?

rmh 10-17-2004 12:08 AM

The 80 single with a tuned 80 size can plus a front in/rear out KS on 12" header is very good power on 26x10 Mejzlic- and you would probably like it --providing it is not tail heavy on the 2.6.
It will likely be much like a 50 with tuned setup on the 2.3 - nice .
The 80 in the 2.3 balances easily - no ballast needed - no batteries hung on the motor etc..
This may NOT be a setup you would like .
A friend has a 2.3 with a ZDZ 100 in it- It actually got tailheavy with batteries under pilot location.
He is a very good 3D flyer and it was simply too tail heavy for any decent flying-he changed it.
but the power is wild.
As would be expected.
PS-- next weekend----

GoeKeli 10-17-2004 12:29 AM

Matt, have fun! I love the 2.3 with DA50. THe 80 would be fun too. Lots more power. THe 2.6 with the 80 might be a lot like my 2.3 like Dick said. If you are too tail heavy get the carbon fiber stab tube and move everything up front. I could think that might be a better setup for some styles more than a heavier one. I have no experience with GWS standard size servos. Good luck.
Dick, yeap!~)

Joe

Gotta_Fly 10-17-2004 05:05 AM

That's amazing, about two months ago I got on here and was asking everybody and there mothers if they knew anything about a 2.3mm CompArf and a ZDZ80R combo, and this was a combo that everybody seemed to really like specially the whole weight, ratio, thrust concept, well I have both plane and engine and after doing tons of research I simply stopped and said no to the project, I realized that you had to do some modifying with the pull out firewall engine mount, which is not a problem but if you ever want to sale and keep the engine it its going to look a little ugly with out the ZDZ in it,(of coarse they could always buy another one) next I also have another 2.3 that I use and of coarse I stuck a DA-50 on it, But you really don't hear much about this but the ideal engine for this plane and really the engine that the company thinks is perfect and not only that it fits perfect on the pull out firewall and that's the DA-75 that we just haven't scene yet, but anyway right now with the DA-50 its a little 3D devil but for those of you who have flown the 2.3/ DA-50 combo you know what I'm talking about, the CG works out great with this combo, In fact I set my batteries just a tad behind the CG to give me that better 3D feel, but anyway I still have both ZDZ 80 and 2.3.mm just setting on my shop shelf.
But if you need any questions please fill free to ask, but the only thing I don't know about the 2.3/ZDZ80 setup is how it would fly, but what I did do was see what the weight would be like, I put some bolts up front on the fire wall enough to simulate the weight of a ZDZ 80 to see how the plane would fly but of coarse of the CG was different but I then put it through all the 3D maneuvers, and as you know the power wasn't there but I learned alot as far as how these composite planes work under hard wing load with a engine out of its zone which wasn't really any different then any other plane but you can sure see the wings bow which was kind of fun, but hey I was experimenting pulling up hard out of a dive, I was feeling bold and dumb that day but anyway I also did several other things that would take to long to get into, but if you want to know just email me.... but anyway if anyone does ever put this combo together I think you will be the first cause I haven't heard anything on it and there are 4 of us that have been watching out for it but nothing yet, so Matt if you got a wild hair and want to put this together if you don't mind take pictures and notes as you put it together cause I'm sure a lot of people would really like to see it, and I can almost promise you that with in a week someone else will be starting on there's hell who knows I might pull my off the shelf, But Ive got some other ones right now that I'm working on just don't have the time.. anyway good luck and take care

Randall

Mattyb 10-17-2004 05:24 AM

Gotta fly, what sort of mods do you need to do to the firewall? I am still tossing up between the 2.6 and 2.3 (there is an 8 week wait on the 2.3) but if i do go with this combo i will definately post a build thread. Heres another thought, if its meant for a da 75, what about using a 3w75. that is pretty much same price as zdz80 here? Hmmm decisions decisions,

ernie58 10-17-2004 07:20 AM

I'd be very interested in comments on the 3W75iUS (side Carb) on it's interface to the motor dome and of course the performance.

Stuart D 10-17-2004 07:36 AM

MattyB , over the next few months I will be putting this combo together . I have done WAY to much research on this topic and always seem to come back to the same point , if you want BALISTIC vertical the ZDZ80 is the only way to go . The other engines to consider are the MVVS 58 & the 3w 75 but they are very close to the ZDZ 80 in weight . As they say "there is no subsitute for cubic inches".
If you can get in contact with Glen O in Mildura he uses the 2.3 DA 50 a fair bit and can give you all the info you need . As for me if you want to talk go to my website www.metalspinning.com.au and contact me at work .
PS if you want the blue & red 2.3 i think Ian has them in stock now , beats the hell out of painting it your self.

thanks Stu D

rmh 10-17-2004 07:38 AM

- there is about one lb difference - 50w/pipe and 80 sans pipe. depends on how you do the job
as for mounting engine - I had no problems at all. just drill and cut some holes
Personally I thought the plane was on the heavy side- no matter how you powered it -
pretty tho--
I like REALLY light airplanes and the 2.3 was for a friend.

otisflies 10-17-2004 12:26 PM

Dick,

Just wondered how the ZDZ100 fit in the 2.3? I have an 80B2 that I was looking for a plane for and thought the 2.3 might work. Not sure if the 100 and the 80 are the same measurements from plug to plug but if the 100 fit the 80 would for sure. You don't happen to have any photos of it do you?

Thanks

rmh 10-17-2004 03:36 PM

100 plugs require holes in cowl sides
the 80 single mounts head down -or angled down I did not use 80 twin
I did no pics on the 80 and I don't know if Eric has any close ups of his 100 setup -

Gotta_Fly 10-17-2004 04:56 PM

Hey Matty
If your trying to decide from a 2.3 or the 2.6, I look at it this way I have flown both and there both great flying birds, But then again the engines you put in these planes make a ton of deferents in how much fun you can get, now with that said when I flew the 2.6 it had a DA-100 in it and it was a blast, vertical was just insane in fact I may have cause I few airliners to go around me lol, but seriously that was a great flying plane and I would have bought the same setup, but I already have a Carden. But if a DA-100 and the 2.6 is a little out of your budget, Go ahead and get the 2.3 with the ZDZ80, you will get the great vertical cause the book says for the 2.3 use a 50 to 70 cc so that extra 10 cc from the ZDZ 80, Go ahead and do it, I wish someone would....

Randall

AJF--2 10-17-2004 06:14 PM

Just finished a day of flying my 2.3 with a Brison 4.2. Very, Very happy with this combo. Not sure about the ZDZ.

mAvRiCk-inactive 10-17-2004 06:15 PM

3W75iUS is a great motor. I had one and it will insanely over power this airplane :-) I had it in a 31% Aeroworks Edge that weighed aroudn 18 pounds..Recently sold it now...

Dan

BBW Walt 10-17-2004 06:28 PM

A flying buddy of mine has a 2.3/ZDZ-80 Extra he's been flying this past summer. This plane defines the term Hot Rod. Dont know all the particulars on this beast but after seeing his fly anything else would look "nemic" ala' pokey in the 2.3. If I were to build another plastic plane in this size the 80 would go in mine. Where ya at yzman? :D

rmh 10-17-2004 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The manufacturers know that many guys who buy their stuf , have the throttle wide open from take off to landing - so - they try to be conservative about power rcommendations
witness the newest 3D gassers - the newbies blow the wings n things off em on take off!
The 2.3 balances nicely with the 4.25 lb 80 -
and as to being overpowered - never had an overpowered model yet -
but then throttle is to be used as needed - not to see what it'll do .
Once you learn how to handle one of these setups (20 lbs and 35+ lbs of thrust) you will likely dump your more sedate setups.
BTW--- The 35 lbs was on a lawn pull test with a 26x12 Menzs.
On a flatter prop -the thrust goes waaaay up.
here is my (sold it) home made 94" span Extra weight 22 lbs and almost 40 lbs thrust . 80 on a special tuned can.
here is a 18 lb Giles - with about 36 lbs thrust
Isold it also - but performance showed the approach is completly practical- th models take no planning to allow for holding speed - you just add speed when needed -any maneuver.- Up -sideways -knife edge - all the same.
Try it -you'll like it.

Brad330l 10-17-2004 10:58 PM

Hi guys,
This is what i have achieved so far. Awaiting exhaust. Still.
2.3m Composite ARF and ZDZ80 twin.

OH YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!

[img][/img]http://www.aeromodellers.pilbara.net.au/ZDZ80%20on%202.3.JPG [img][/img]http://www.aeromodellers.pilbara.net.au/First%20run.JPG

If pics don't work i will put them in between 'image' symbls

Brad

Brad330l 10-17-2004 11:05 PM

http://www.aeromodellers.pilbara.net.au/First%20run.JPG [img]http://www.aeromodellers.pilbara.net.au/ZDZ80%20on%202.3.JPG/[img]

Now if this don't work will some one help? (the pics i mean)

Brad330l 10-17-2004 11:07 PM

MMM sorry guys,, can't seem to find how to do this pic thing right ,,, can some one help?

Brad

Brad330l 10-17-2004 11:45 PM

[img]/http://www.aeromodellers.pilbara.net.au/ZDZ80%20on%202.3_small.JPG[img]