RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   What is this airplane? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2261304-what-airplane.html)

Flying Cowboy 10-17-2004 09:34 AM

What is this airplane?

1 Attachment(s)
A few years ago a friend gave me this fuselage and I kept it saying someday I will do something with it.

The problem is I don't know what it is and I have no plans of it.

If you recognize this plane let me know and if you have any indication of what it calls for wing, stab and rudder I would like to know.

Tired Old Man 10-17-2004 10:47 AM

RE: What is this airplane?

Looks a bit like a Diabolo, but I wouldn't hang my hat on that. I don't recall anyone producing a glass fuse for the Diabolo, so I'm probably wrong.

flyinrazrback 10-17-2004 11:29 AM

Its an ohio superstar. I cant remember the name of the company (thinking altech or something like that), and has a 87" wingspan or so. hope this helps some.

hajowe 10-17-2004 11:37 AM

It is definite a superstar

Hans

v-snap 10-17-2004 12:52 PM

It is a Haigh Superstar (Real name RATSREPUS highly modified Superstar), maufactured in the mid-90's. It had a 87" wingspan with foam core wings. A good set of laser or 300 wings would work as it tapers pretty close. Was meant for a Q-52 and weighed in at about 16lbs ready to fly (mine was just over 16lbs). Nice airplane, needs some mods for 3-d capability, but definitely do-able. I can't remember the name but can still get the directions since I passed mine on to a friend who lives nearby since I dorked it and was not in the mood to repair the front end.

It was a Canadian manufacturing Company and the name still eludes me for some reason if I stall maybe just maybe I will remember.

Good luck with it, it is a pretty airplane when done, and flys quite good for a older design.

Flying Cowboy 10-17-2004 01:02 PM

Thank you guys, it's exactly what I need to know. Now I will look for the wing and stab design and Scott, if you could give me a hint as to what it needs to 3d, I would appreciate.

v-snap 10-17-2004 01:21 PM

When building the wings, the origonal used only outboard ailerons, this wing is basically a laser 200 wing, so if you go with a extra 300 wing you will bring the ailerons to the root. As for the stab it was an airfoiled stab but the elevators needed to be enlarged, Reduce the stab area creating larger elevator. As for the rudder, mine was highly effective, but it could use a little tweeking as far as plan form. It was basically a rectangle, I tapered mine out towards the bottom some, so that is also possible.

I still can't remember the name though...And if I know they made one 87", and one 100" so how long is the fuse..

The company also kitted a nice P-51 also..

Flying Cowboy 10-17-2004 01:57 PM

The fuse is 57 1/2 inches long but without the rudder, so I would need a 87" wing I guess.

I have an Edge 540 which I fly with a Sach 50cc It's a 80" wingspan I guess that with a 87" I would need more power to 3d. Something around 70cc.

If you could recall the name, I would try to see the wing and stab.

v-snap 10-17-2004 02:07 PM

I will call him tomorrow, and get the name of the company. I can't believe I can't rember.....Interested in selling the fuse? Do you have the canopy?

Flying Cowboy 10-17-2004 02:18 PM

It's kind of you to call for the name, I don't have the canopy but if I don't find it I will mold one or fabricate one.

For the moment, I don't want to sell it but if I decide not to build it, I will. If you're interested, I will let you know.

v-snap 10-17-2004 03:13 PM

SKY Aviation or Sky-tech aviation....

Flying Cowboy 10-17-2004 04:22 PM

Thank you very much, it's in the neighborhood.

It takes a guy from Ct. to tell me to go to a neighbor I live about 10 miles from their place.

v-snap 10-17-2004 06:27 PM

Glad to help, let me know what you find out. Their 100" really interests me, Somebody was selling one a while back but would not return any e-mails..