RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2408226-extreme-flight-87%22-yak-54-build-fly.html)

TailTouch 09-26-2005 10:34 AM

RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Hi All.
Need your help...my canopy has developed a crack.
How do I fix the crack and not let it "run" i.e get bigger and spread.

TIA.

stomper 09-26-2005 11:10 AM

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack. Than you can apply a small piece fiberglass cloth with CA glue. It's not pretty but it will hold.
Good luck

flyingcrazy 09-26-2005 11:42 AM

i WOULD NOT USE CA . IT WILL SMOKE IT UP . TRY RC56 IT DRIES CLEAR AFTER YOU DRILL A SMALL HOLE TO STOP IT FROM GETTING LONGER.

ORIGINAL: stomper

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack. Than you can apply a small piece fiberglass cloth with CA glue. It's not pretty but it will hold.
Good luck

edgeman55 09-26-2005 08:15 PM

What drill bit size are you guys using for drilling out the prop on a DA50.Thanks

WaPilot 09-27-2005 02:15 AM

Ahh~~reminds me of good old days........ When I was 16 learning to fly.... doing preinspection on the cessna 150 that was older than my dad, asked my instructor about dozens of cracks on the cowl of a plane....... "umm...sir , the plane seems to be falling apart...." instructor replied " it's ok...we drilled a bunch of holes on them so now it's safe"....... I didn't quite understood then......But I know now.......

Fastlif 09-28-2005 06:59 PM

Use some epoxy and glass after drilling.

Whats the latest on these things????? Anyone talk to Chris? I know its a sore subject, but its been all year, I mean if they are not coming please post something on your website Chris, or find a new bunch to screw them together. I know its killing you, and everyone waiting, but at what point are we going to say they are not coming, period. ?
I know about the wait on the first shipment and all that, but it does not take much to put some info on the site about what the status is of the 100 and 50 size machines. Any info is better than nothing. Even if its bad news.

Thanks to anyone that knows something, Chris?

rcrick 09-28-2005 08:17 PM

Hey Guys,

Are the cowl mounting blocks just glued to the firewall or are they extensions of the fuse. sides (stringers) ?

THANKS,

Rick

Torqued-Up 09-28-2005 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: rcrick

Hey Guys,

Are the cowl mounting blocks just glued to the firewall or are they extensions of the fuse. sides (stringers) ?

THANKS,

Rick
They are "edge" glued to the firewall... The block extends past the side of the firewall and there is little or no material behind the firewall for the glue to grab... Many, including myself, have had the cowl mounting blocks pop loose after a few flights... It's recommended to add some triangle stock to the firewall / block to prevent this from happening...

ORIGINAL: WaPilot

Ahh~~reminds me of good old days........ When I was 16 learning to fly.... doing preinspection on the cessna 150 that was older than my dad, asked my instructor about dozens of cracks on the cowl of a plane....... "umm...sir , the plane seems to be falling apart...." instructor replied " it's ok...we drilled a bunch of holes on them so now it's safe"....... I didn't quite understood then......But I know now.......

Reminds me of an old 172 that was at the FBO where I used to teach... The spar was a little stressed and whenever you'd make steep turns, it would make noises like the wing was coming off... The AP's always said it was fine on inspections, but it still made everyone nervous, including me...

exeter_acres 09-30-2005 07:09 AM

Fastliff has a good question....
I have the OK from the wife to start a a 50cc project....

and honestly just curious of status
good or bad??

Anything?

Thanks

flat spin 10-02-2005 02:07 PM

A few weeks back we were talking about Knife edge Spins. Well here is one of the best ones i have ever seen. Infact the whole set is just great, i have seen it many times now and it still puts a smile on my face.

Anyway this is Nathan Farrel-Jones, one of the UK's finest putting his EF Yak54 87" throuhg it's paces in the music round at the UK Freestyle Championships in which he came second.

Copy and paste it to your bar and off you go.

www.3drc.info/2005/nathanfjyak.wmv

3de 10-02-2005 02:18 PM

Great video!![sm=cool.gif]

jrjohn 10-02-2005 05:14 PM

nice!

edgeman55 10-02-2005 05:27 PM

Awsome!!!!

flat spin 10-03-2005 04:58 PM

Yeah i really like that video. Here is another one of both Nathan and the winner Luke Shaw who incidentally will also be flying an EF Yak next year. In the video you see him flying a Capiche 140, very nice plane, especially with that YS 160 purring away up front.

www.3drc.info/2005/nathluke.wmv

exeter_acres 10-03-2005 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Fastlif

Use some epoxy and glass after drilling.

Whats the latest on these things????? Anyone talk to Chris? I know its a sore subject, but its been all year, I mean if they are not coming please post something on your website Chris, or find a new bunch to screw them together. I know its killing you, and everyone waiting, but at what point are we going to say they are not coming, period. ?
I know about the wait on the first shipment and all that, but it does not take much to put some info on the site about what the status is of the 100 and 50 size machines. Any info is better than nothing. Even if its bad news.

Thanks to anyone that knows something, Chris?

Christmas at the earliest

flat spin 10-03-2005 05:23 PM

It has been a nightmare year for Chris, me and everyone out there who is waiting but rest assured that they will be comming and with any luck not before too long. Chris has already turned down another 87 from an alternative supplier because it was not quite up to scratch and that just goes to emphasize how much dedication goes into delievering the right product even after this long delay.

Hold tight though by the end of October there will be some more concrete news on delivery timescales, amongst other things.

rcrick 10-03-2005 06:52 PM

Is anyone that has their Rx batteries mounted on the engine box having ignition noise problems or is the DA ignition shielded enough that it is not an issue ?

THANKS,

Rick

edgeman55 10-04-2005 08:34 PM

Rick,I have the tuned pipe so for CG I have all three batteries up in or on the side of the motor box-no problem at all.

Josey Wales 10-04-2005 09:02 PM

For those using the hatch latches how are they holding up?

morecashthansense 10-05-2005 06:24 AM

Hi All, Just thourght I had better post my current problems with my Yak. I had refrained from posting for quite some time as I didnt want to start a flame war however I am now at the end of my tether with this plane. I must add the airframe is a very good performer if not a little to easy to damage with hanger rash the bottom of the fuz being the worst... The engine however has proved to be a right dog. The Da I have does not transition well vibrates like crasy and is mostly unflyable for the kind of flying this plane was designed for. And before everone jumps on the bandwagon about DA's super service I have given them every chance to make me belive in them however after returning it to DA for the transition problem they rebuilt the crank/rod and sent it back with the needels so far out of wack it wouldnt even start untill I put them back to factory settings despite being assured it was run up during the repair... now I have been waiting for 2 months for a new carb in a last attempt to fix the problem I have been given the run around and empty promises about when it would be shipped now they dont even answer any emails.....
All this is making me want to either get rid of the engine and replace it with a different 50cc or sell the whole plane altogether which wopuld be a great pity as i belive the plane has realy great potential just the engine is making me look at it in a different light.
Any suggestions for a good 50cc ??

Ricmussman 10-05-2005 07:39 AM

I am flying mine on a Brison 3.2 with a Mej 22X8. It will hover at half throttle and pull out well. It does not have the authority as a DA but it flies it well. The best part is I bought it (the engine) at Toledo last year and the price was $515.00 with the bisson pitts wrap around. The cowl cutting was nominal too. I am approaching 150 flights on this bird, yes it is fragile, but it is strong in the air. It is due for another check and recovering around the firewall. Those with this plane know what I am talking about, the covering around the cowling breaks and the glue joints weeken after so many abusive flights. I still will do blenders, walls, and elevators with this amazing plane. It lands so easy that my 10 year old is flying it now. I still get scared when he flies it because he has no sense of $$$ invested but so far he has been careful. He wants to fly IMAC with it next year.

torqmeister 10-05-2005 08:57 AM

I fly mine with a Brison 3.2, & I couln't be more satisfied. It turns a 3W 22/8 at 7,350 rpms, & is absolutely ballistic. The trandition ( midrange ) is smooth as silk. I would put my Brisons (yes, I have two of them) against any other 50cc engine witha stock muffler. I know the DA & the ZDZ are hot on a tuned pipe, but then the 3.2 would be also. By the way, did I say, the 3.2 is strong, dependable, & Brison offers great service,--- if you ever need it. Save yourself some serious money, & buy a Brison.

mightychuck 10-05-2005 09:44 AM

Taurus 3.2. Not a lot of people know about them, but out of the ones that do you won't find a negative comment. Incredible power and probably the smoothest 50cc around. Only 3 ounces more that a DA50. Bill at Taurus is a great guy and always quick to answer questions. Great support. You may want to do a search on the forums for taurus to see what I mean.

Or check them out here:

http://www.taurus-engines.com/

coche 10-05-2005 09:53 AM

Try using the phone with DA! they are not good using e mail! trust me!!

I am sure they will work your problems right away! just wait after this week end! they have the tucson shootout right now and I am sure they are working hard on the event as they are the spounsors!

on they plane you have to be very careful! it is very fragile! and if you hit the bottom of the fuse you better inspect it! and fix it if there is a broken piece!

40 - 60 size planes are built very strong it dont matter if you dont take good care of them when handling them! but once you get to big 3D planes they are all the same!

I can show you pictures of my bigger planes and they are just like the yak! build very fregile! they have to be this way! since you want them to fly 3D

going vert 10-05-2005 07:07 PM

Have you called Brian H. at DA? He will jump through hoops to make things right. One time I broke a flex header off the 50 and he sent me his own personal header b/ they were out of stock. Brian is probably very busy w/ the Shoot Out right now, but he will take care of you!

Drew