RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2408226-extreme-flight-87%22-yak-54-build-fly.html)

TailTouch 12-09-2004 03:07 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Hey Stratos,
The ? mark header and clamps come from DA.

If you are ever in philly, I can show you.

P-51B 12-09-2004 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

ORIGINAL: dgfick

Wayne, when is your building party going to happen???
An appropriately premature question for this premature thread.

Who's gonna use a BME 55 on theirs?

:):D:):D

LOL, you're killin' me BB!

Stratos 12-09-2004 03:13 PM

Tailtouch,

Thanks and I appreciate your reply. But perhaps I need to be more specific. Is this header the right one for this plane?
in other words is the 'drop', length, and shape of the header the right ones for where the pipe will be located in the plane?

Stratos.-

Jleyland 12-09-2004 03:46 PM

Hey BasinBum! One sarcastic post deserves another!!! ;)

N45328 12-09-2004 04:02 PM

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)
BasinBum, I dont want to sound like an old man that throws a fit hearing anything louder than a mousefart, but to be honest with you, your posts on this thread have offended me. You are making it where I cannot enjoy RCU without getting offended. As the RCU warning states, can you please take your degrading and insulting comments some where else, becuase some people are offended by them. Thanks for your understanding.

TailTouch 12-09-2004 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK,
Here is the pciture of the combo I have. If you call DA, they know exactly what Chris used and that's what you can use too. Not too complicated.

Chris,
I have a suggestion. Most of us will be using the DA-50 (coz it's in vogue :) ), why don't u make a template for drilling the firewall. All you would have to do is tape it to the firewall, and drill the holes.

Here is what I am getting:

DA-50 with KS-1060
Hitec 5945's
JR 8611 on rudder
Fromeco 35% package for batteries...

vertical ts 12-09-2004 04:21 PM

Ok,ok,back to the yak,

Goingvert,when do you expect to see your new yak?I wish I was lucky enough to be on the first order,guess Ill have to wait until jan.I just ordered my ks pipe and header.I look foward to your review.

Bryant330L 12-09-2004 04:45 PM

I took myself off the list for this plane, so there might be a spot open. I don't know if Chris had a waiting list already in place or not. If anyone is interested give him a call.

wgeffon 12-09-2004 07:54 PM

The ? mark header will work perfectly for this plane / DA 50. The pipe tunnel is in the middle of the fuse and the header will provide the correct drop and placement.
The instructions will show you how to mount the pipe in the tunnell.
If your not using the pipe or a can, the tunnell will just be covered. I have a pic of the tunnel I can post but, I am not at home right now and that pic is on my PC at home.

Guy's,
This is not your typical ARF where you are going to have to retrofit things to get it in the air. This whole plane has been thought out to the Nth degree.
We are planning on having them built and RTF in one day.
Then come the video's!

We will be making a video as it goes together with tips along the way.
We plan on having lots of freestyle videos and are also planning to video the Yak flying each of the 2005 IMAC sequence's.

going vert 12-09-2004 08:27 PM

The word is pretty soon. I will post the day it ships out.

Chris - do you have the part number for the Dubro 1/4" tube we need to buy? I tried to track it down on their site, but couldn't find it.

Thx,

ORIGINAL: vertical ts

Ok,ok,back to the yak,

Goingvert,when do you expect to see your new yak?I wish I was lucky enough to be on the first order,guess Ill have to wait until jan.I just ordered my ks pipe and header.I look foward to your review.

GoeKeli 12-09-2004 10:09 PM

Drew, I run and fly the DA50/KS1060 setup, as a fact I ran it all day today in a plane know as a comp-arf 2.3 extra, nice weather too!~). You need no tape on the coupler or anything. It does not leak oil, gasoline or mythical yak crap juice. Not sure what your friends setup looked like but I have not had any of these problems with the DA50/KS1060 system. DA sells you exactly what you need and it performs very very nicely for me. The power and sound is absoultly wonderful. It is sort of the cadillac of 50 setups!

What type of tape are you guys using for the plastic coupler between the header and pipe? I understand they leak oil and 'crap' until they seat - after a couple flights. This happend to a friend w/ a DA100 and cans on his CA Yak 2.6. He had a hell of a time cleaning the inside of the engine compartment.

Thx
quote:

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Drew,
My buddy in crime, Joe Kelly knows quite a bit about running the DA 50 on a pipe. If you have any specific questions about it he's a good one to ask.
N45328, you could not have flattered BasinBumâ„¢ or made him happier with your post![sm=lol.gif]

BasinBum, I dont want to sound like an old man that throws a fit hearing anything louder than a mousefart, but to be honest with you, your posts on this thread have offended me. You are making it where I cannot enjoy RCU without getting offended. As the RCU warning states, can you please take your degrading and insulting comments some where else, becuase some people are offended by them. Thanks for your understanding.
Keep the yak build pictures coming!

Joe [8D]

going vert 12-09-2004 10:45 PM

Plane does not come w/ servo arms. Mine just came from SWB today. 1.5" & 3.0". I think Chris was worried about the plastic disks stripping on the 8611s. There have been some reports of plastic disk failure.

People are telling me to maintaining a 1:1 mechanical relationship (arm to surface), which is easy to do on those arms. They have holes drilled every .25".

ORIGINAL: TailTouch

Why change the arms to SWB when the plane comes with the bolt on arms.

EXTREME FLIGHT 12-10-2004 10:53 AM

I believe Drew is referring to the flex header. You must wrap the flexible portion of the header with teflon plumbers tape or you will have a huge mess on your hands. After a few flights the tape can be removed as the exhaust residue clogs up any leaks. I too spent quite a while cleaning out the inside of one of my planes before calling DA for a solution.

Drew, the Dubro part number is 553. It is 5/32 silicone tubing.

Mike Bogh 12-10-2004 11:36 AM

Hideho all,
I am reading this thread with great interest...I have on on order, hopefully on the boat.
Just a FYI to those who get offended to posters..use the red hand on the bottom of their post..you won't be offended again because anything that they post won't be visible to you.
I hope that there is room for a smoke tank on the YAK...does anyone know for sure?

rmh 12-10-2004 11:41 AM

We build a lot of the KS systems for local flyers - If the installation is correct - there is typically NO leaking.
However---If the flex is pulled around in a curve - and has any load on it - it will fatigue and loosen along the interlocked edges, rapidly.
Apparantly few guys build their own systems and rely on the premade flex being gas tite under any condition
We ruined a few before we figured it out --------------
Basically you should support the system fore and aft and the flex section should be neither curved OR twisted from original configuration.
This allows for even distribution of any torsion or bending loads .
Hope this is not to complex------

dgfick 12-10-2004 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike Bogh

I hope that there is room for a smoke tank on the YAK...does anyone know for sure?
I'm hoping for that too....a removeable smoke setup would be cool....

going vert 12-11-2004 10:46 AM

Chris - what push rods come w/ the plane? Does it come w/ HD 4-40 ball links or equal all around? Does the kit come w/ all the necessary throttle linkage? I'm getting all my ordering out of the way this weekend. I'll update my web site to include all this information.

Thanks

EXTREME FLIGHT 12-11-2004 11:02 AM

There is plenty of room in the plane for a smoke tank.

All linkage parts are included with the ARF, including Dubro 4-40 ball links and 4-40 pushrods. Throttle linkage components for the DA-50 are included, which will probably work for most other engines as well.

EXTREME FLIGHT 12-11-2004 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo showing the elevator linkage set-up. Notice the 1.5" SWB servo arm and double truss control horn, set-up 1:1. This is a very tight slop free linkage, providing bevel to bevel travel while maintaining excellent mechanical advantage.

EXTREME FLIGHT 12-11-2004 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another angle.

going vert 12-11-2004 12:04 PM

Very cool. As I'm putting together the parts list, I remember you telling me to buy milled fiber for installing the phenolic control arms - FYI to the other guys building the plane. Composit ARF recommends this method for installing many of their parts.

stomper 12-11-2004 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: going vert

Very cool. As I'm putting together the parts list, I remember you telling me to buy milled fiber for installing the phenolic control arms - FYI to the other guys building the plane. Composit ARF recommends this method for installing many of their parts.

That or Hysol epoxy.

EXTREME FLIGHT 12-11-2004 12:30 PM

Some guys have expressed concern over installing the control horns. We have a very straight forward method. No measuring required and no guess work involved.

Mike Parsons 12-11-2004 01:26 PM

Chris,
Having zero experience with a plane that has removeable Hstab, I have a question. I assume that the two tabs are what holds the stab to the fuse. What is used through these tabs? Is it a nylon bolt like the 68" Yak or an allen bolt? I have seen a removable stab, but it used a screw through the stab and into the tube.
Thanks

-Mike

EXTREME FLIGHT 12-11-2004 02:01 PM

Hey Mike, the stab is held on with 2 6-32 socket head cap bolts. By bolting the stab/elev assembly to the fuselage, we ensure a rigid attachment point that remains this way for the life of the plane. Although I have seen and used the attachment method you mention in the past, it tends to develop slop and play after only a few flights.