RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2408226-extreme-flight-87%22-yak-54-build-fly.html)

basmntdweller 02-18-2005 07:26 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

I had read the manual but probably missed that part. I think all I have left to get are the 2-56 screws for the rudder servo arm, oh, and the plane of course:D
Matt

Maudib 02-18-2005 08:28 PM

Alright... a blast of pics... all pertaining to cutting the spinner.

I ordered a 4" white fiberglass spinner from Bisson Custom Mufflers... sweet looking spinner and nice lightened aluminum backplate.

But it's UNCUT!!!! Yikes... Welp... after some research here's what I did.

I went to Lowes and bought a contour gauge... $7.

First the prop is drilled so that the logo blade is at about 10:30 when the magnet passes under the sensor (firing) by this time my fingers are leaving the prop edge when flipping. I always drill my props the same way, then I know that the logo is set to 2 o'clock before I flip.

Then the spinner backplate is aligned to the prop, basically centering the mass of the propbetween the screw tabs.

once drilled the prop is indexed to the backplate with the prop bolts.

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut1.jpg

Maudib 02-18-2005 08:29 PM

The contour gauge is then push down over the prop where it leaves the edge of the backplate

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut2.jpg

Maudib 02-18-2005 08:30 PM

It makes a perfect outline of the prop and backplate

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut3.jpg

Maudib 02-18-2005 08:32 PM

Now we transfer the pattern to a stiff piece of poster board. Note how I ran the edge along the handle of the contour gauge. This is because I also want to determine where the lip of the backplate sits. I cut the piece out as a pattern.

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut4.jpg

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut5.jpg

Maudib 02-18-2005 08:35 PM

Now I used the "hole" pattern to create a new template. I set it about 1/16" higher than the edge of a new piece of posterboard and also added 1/16" to the short side. The pic shows the added space shaded.

This allows for some space betwen the cutout and the prop. After I cut it out, I tested it by bending it and placing it over the prop on the backplate to check fit. If need be I could add or subtract a little until I got JUST the right fit I wanted.

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut6.jpg

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut7.jpg

Maudib 02-18-2005 08:39 PM

Now we need to mark the backplate where the close side of the prop lies... be as exact as possible here, then mark the other side as well.

Then I removed the prop and put the spinner on the plate. The final template is then placed about 1/16" forward of the marking on the backplate and the hole pattern is traced onto the spinner. I repeated for the other side.... NOTE: Make sure you don't accidentally flip the template over!!!!! You'll be cutting the hole backwards!!!!

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut8.jpg

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut9.jpg

Maudib 02-18-2005 08:41 PM

Here is the outline marked on the spinner, and then with the opening roughed out with a dremel tool and sanding drum. Take your time and leave plenty of material. LEAVE the black line!

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut9a.jpg

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut10.jpg

Maudib 02-18-2005 08:45 PM

Using sandpaper glued to a balsa stick and a small round file I slowly worked my way through the black line. The last few strokes are unidirectional... ONLY from the outside to the inside of the spinner... this prevents chipping the gel coat. I also began to angle my sanding to the inside giving the openig a slight bevel... this made for a cleaner edge.

The marks were made with a Sharpie, and when I was finished, any residual ink was removed with rubbing alcohol. Final finishing was done by eye to make it look as perfect as I could.

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut11.jpg

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut12.jpg

Maudib 02-18-2005 08:49 PM

Final install with the screws dressed up nicely... I have adequate space around the prop and it looks "factory cut"

And I REALLY like the looks of the white spinner on this bird!

Final weight of the spinner drilled and cutout.... 2.95 oz.... Light baby!

O.K. off my soapbox... we now return you to your regular thread... :)

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut13.jpg

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/spinner/cut14.jpg

lex2bits 02-18-2005 09:02 PM

Maudib
Well, Radio Shack came through and I now own a decent quality sound level meter.
Cool! No more guessin'.

Excellent tutorial on the spinner mods.

Ray :D

BBriBro 02-18-2005 09:03 PM

Very nice work Maudib, I use that exact same technique, and it's pretty amazing how good of a cut you can get if you take your time. Cutting spinners can be very intimidating, but this technique does provide nice "factory" cutouts.

wgeffon 02-18-2005 09:05 PM

Awesome Maudib.

How much is left to get yours into the air?

Maudib 02-18-2005 09:17 PM

Not much... I should have it completed tomorrow. I hope to get it to the field before the end of next week weather permitting.

Til then I'm going to try and put another DA-50 (with about 4 gallons through it) on the test bench and run the mufflers, dB and RPM tests...

I also just got the Bisson Wraparound muffler in today too... (my buddies) and will add it to the test.

I'm so glad that the other Yaks are in and that people will finally get to experience this bird in person. I'm also SOOOO thankful for Chris' kind generousity in sending me this one earmarked for review.

Not only did I get to enjoy building it and sharing the process, but looks like I'll get to fly it some before I go in to the hospital...

My advice to all is to take time and savor the building... it's like nothing you've ever worked on before... :)

going vert 02-18-2005 09:52 PM

Maudib

You should see my spinner job..... I had to buy another one.

Maudib 02-18-2005 10:02 PM

Bummer..... [:'(]

ORIGINAL: going vert

Maudib

You should see my spinner job..... I had to buy another one.

lightningman40 02-18-2005 10:10 PM

LOL, thats funny. I know what you mean. Hope the 2nd came out ok. Regards.

wgeffon 02-18-2005 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: lightningman40

Hope the 2nd came out ok. Regards.

It did.
He let Tru-Turn cut it for him.

Apples 02-18-2005 11:10 PM

i'M dying..No, I'm rolling on the floor...You guys are crazy! But, I'm learning so much!

Roy

wgeffon 02-18-2005 11:11 PM

Hows things Roy?

somethin else 02-18-2005 11:36 PM

This was some great info. Thanks for posting this. I ordered a CF spinner and was afraid to do the cutouts

Apples 02-18-2005 11:56 PM

Wayne,

I'm feeling fine...but, sometimes I feel like a blank piece of paper between two book of "tips and tricks", J.David on one side and my "Old Fart, building buddy on the other...It's nice to get Drew in there with some jokes from time to time...

Roy

p.s: I too let Tru-Turn cut my spinner.

wgeffon 02-19-2005 12:26 AM

Hey somethinelse,

Where are you in Illinois? Where is Roselle?
I have to agree with your signature about the Radiocraft, DA and the 10X. That was my setup last season. I loved it.

Maudib 02-19-2005 07:49 AM

Hey Somethin' Else...

Glad you liked it... one note... not to scare you but I'm sure you know Carbon Fiber is some really nasty stuff.

Same techniques used to cut it, BUT as Gene Payson shares on his www.troybuilt.com website, take it outside, put a strong fan out there too so it blows at an angle the dust away from you.

Wear a dust mask and eye protection... and it wouldn't hurt to wear long sleeves. It's O.K. on your skin persay, but you could then transfer it to your eyes, or breathe it later...

Your body does not recognize CF as foreign and therefore will not expel it from your lungs or slivers from your skin.

All that said, it's as easy as pie to cut and following the basic advice above makes it completely safe.

Another little tip is to cover the area to be cut with a layer of thin masking tape... seeing marks on CF is a real booger.

I normally do it on cutting fibergalss too in order to prevent chipping the paint, but in this case I stopped well before the line so I wasn't worried about it.

ORIGINAL: somethin else

This was some great info. Thanks for posting this. I ordered a CF spinner and was afraid to do the cutouts

going vert 02-19-2005 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
He is right by me. Me probably flies at Ned Brown Forest Reserve.....

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Hey somethinelse,

Where are you in Illinois? Where is Roselle?
I have to agree with your signature about the Radiocraft, DA and the 10X. That was my setup last season. I loved it.

Maudib 02-19-2005 10:04 AM

Here's a pic of the rudder servo arm assembly using a unihub. The holes did not line up exactly, but a quick drill through the hub and into the arms lined 'em up. Put the ball links on before doign this to ensure the two halves are aligned perfectly.

1: The top of the horn shows the 4 nylock nuts on the 1/2" 2-56 screws

2: The bottom shows the heads of the screws... these touched the top of the servo case and wouldn't let the horn seat fully.

3: Here's the same view after I ground the heads down with the dremel tool. I installed everything first because I've pretty much removed the hex socket from teh screw and there won't be any tightening after this... ;)

4: The rudder arm on the servo. Good clearance. I could have take less off and still cleared and maybe had enough socket to work with, but at this point it's complete... the only reaon I'll need to remove is to replace the arm.

The total weight of the servo arm is .65 oz. (this does not include the ball links and thier associates hardware) Wonder what the SWB custom arm weighs?

http://www.hangar37.com/rcuimages/rudderarm.jpg

BBriBro 02-19-2005 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Maudib

.................. the case of the 5995TG is too beefy for the heads of the screws to pass around it, so I'll grind half the heads off after I have tightened the nuts.

Do you have any experience with the 5995 ? I read on another forum that Hitec doesn't recommend limiting the travel to the standard 90 deg of rotation (from the 180 on this servo) Have you used the programmer on it, and tried it ?

Maudib 02-19-2005 10:37 AM

I've been in discussion about it...

There is no physical problem using the proframmer as long as you don't try and reset the servo (programming it 1.3 vs. 1.4 firmware).

The issue is that when you remove the programmer and place it on the receiver, the endpoints and center are not what you programmed. They are off by a degree or more.

It's constant, meaning a hunt and peck will eventually get you where you want... once the firware of the programmers is updated, this will no longer be an issue.

I have already "run in" the servos with the programmer exercising them back and forth....

wgeffon 02-19-2005 10:42 AM

I have seen two of those 5995 servos fail.
One time on the ground after landing. No movement to the left and a tiny bit to the right. It was brand new.
It was replaced with another brand new one and on the first flight that one locked up full left. Crashed the plane.

You'll never see one in one of my planes.

Maudib 02-19-2005 11:00 AM

Wowsers! Can you tell me more? Were these ever programmed to reduce the throw?

What plane was it in? Ganged with others? Rudder right? Direct pull-pull or tiller arm?

What's got me doubting it was the servo was that it was TWO new servos back to back... I just cannot imagine the chance of that happening unbless there is an obvious problem with the whole batch. And there would be quite a bit of clamouring about failures.

Not that there isn't a problem, but I just haven't heard enough to believe that there is an inherent failure on these servos. They did have a bunch of bad pots that were used in HS-225mg a couple years ago.... and I had 3 of 4 fail... in the SAME PLANE! :)

Dave763 02-19-2005 11:02 AM

Oh no, here we go.....again. The servo war's are starting. I love my Hitec digital servos! The 5995TG is what I will use on my rudder. It's lighter(than JR 8611) and has awesome torque!
I have been using Hitecs for over three years on GS with no problems. Other than normal gear train wear.
The 5995TG is a new servo, so testing and burning it in will be mandatory.
A servo locking up on the first flight tells me he did not cycle the servo very long or not at all, as this problem would have more than likely shown up then.

Dave

wgeffon 02-19-2005 11:07 AM

The person who has had these failures reads this thread but I think he wants to stay away from a servo debate.
He just isnt going to use Hitec anymore.

The set up was on a single rudder servo install.
Pull pull.

I asked him if the servos had been through the programmer and he said no. He was told that they didnt need to be by Hitec if they were being used in a single servo application.

wgeffon 02-19-2005 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave763

A servo locking up on the first flight tells me he did not cycle the servo very long or not at all,

Dave

Dave,

Not the case in this situation.
It was cycled.

I have never had to "cycle" a JR or Futaba servo. Maybe I am missing something but, if thats a recomended procedure on a Hitec servo doesnt that kinda say "Please make sure this servo wont fail prior to flying the plane"
Thanks but I'll pay a little more for JR or Futaba.

Dave763 02-19-2005 11:15 AM

A guy in our club was flying his extra when all of a sudden he lost control of the aircraft. After a few seconds of scary looking stuff he regained control. and landed the plane.
When asked ,what happened , he said one of his aileron servos had locked up, and that is why he lost control.
He was unable to duplicate the problem and has flown the plane many times since. I think these are JR servos.

Excuses are like *******s, everybodys got one, and they all stink!;)

Dave

stomper 02-19-2005 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

A servo locking up on the first flight tells me he did not cycle the servo very long or not at all,

Dave

Dave,

It was cycled.

I have never had to "cycle" a JR or Futaba servo. Maybe I am missing something but, if thats a recomended procedure on a Hitec servo doesnt that kinda say "Please make sure this servo wont fail prior to flying the plane"Thanks but I'll pay a little more for JR or Futaba.

;)

wgeffon 02-19-2005 11:22 AM

Dave,

Lots of people use Hitec without issues.
All I am saying is that from what I have personally witnessed and read about, I will stay away.

Dave763 02-19-2005 11:29 AM

Dave

Dave,

It was cycled.

I have never had to "cycle" a JR or Futaba servo. Maybe I am missing something but, if thats a recomended procedure on a Hitec servo doesnt that kinda say "Please make sure this servo wont fail prior to flying the plane"
Thanks but I'll pay a little more for JR or Futaba.

[/quote]

Wayne, we run our engines on the ground to be sure it wont quit in flight, we like to be sure that it's going to run perfectly before we take to the air. I think the servos and linkage can also be added to the list of things that need to work flawlessly. So why not cycle it regardless of the brand name?

Dave

wgeffon 02-19-2005 11:42 AM

Wayne, we run our engines on the ground to be sure it wont quit in flight, we like to be sure that it's going to run perfectly before we take to the air. I think the servos and linkage can also be added to the list of things that need to work flawlessly. So why not cycle it regardless of the brand name?

Dave

Dave,

I can see you point but....
What I am saying is you have a manufacturer telling you to do this. In my mind I read that as, "We believe in our products but please make sure our stuff works prior to flying"
Thats enough of a red flag for me.
Maybe I am wrong but, I dont remember ever seeing JR telling you to do that.

Stuff fails. There is no way around that.
I have heard all the arguments saying that because Hitec is less money and because of that there are more in use in the field. And, that naturally failure rates will be higher. I dont buy it.

Look, The servo debate will go on until the end of time. There is never a definative answer.
Bottom line people just need to use what they are comfortable with.

If Hitec works for you, use them.
If JR works for you, use them.
If Futaba works for you, use them.
If Airtronics works for you, use them.

somethin else 02-19-2005 11:47 AM

Roselle is next to ned brown woods. I actually 2 miles west of rt 355 and thorndale area.

BasinBum 02-19-2005 11:48 AM

Time to check back in on this thread....

After glancing through the last twp pages and not finding an answer, have people recieved the major shipment of planes yet? Inquiring minds want to know.