RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2408226-extreme-flight-87%22-yak-54-build-fly.html)

Shortman 01-30-2005 11:37 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

The 4 cell duralite pack is wired in a way which if one cell were to fail, the pack would still function at I believe a reduced rate of capacity. They wired the cells where 2 cells are connected to eachother and the other 2 cells are seperately connected and they are attached together by yet another seperate connection, so if you were lucky you could have up to 2 cells fail or go bad and still possibly fly. (Going off of memory, if someone wants to further elaborate)

coche 01-31-2005 01:14 AM

try fromeco batteries! same thing better price! and kurt the owner its very good person!

www.fromeco.org

cadconversions 01-31-2005 02:25 AM

Is this plane constructed/sheeted with foam? If not, where is the foam that is beind discussed above for the switch mounting.

lex2bits 01-31-2005 02:47 AM

cadconversions
Is this plane constructed/sheeted with foam? If not, where is the foam that is beind discussed above for the switch mounting.
Go here:
[link=http://extremeflightyak.shutupandfly.com/index.htm]87" Yak[/link]

Ray :D

WaPilot 01-31-2005 02:50 AM

I've been stalking :D this orum for a while and finally put my self on a waiting list. This would be my first gasser. Well I do have a 1/3 laser 200 used that I bought from LHS that needs engine. Here's a deal. Laser will require ZDZ 80.... Yak only needs DA 50.... ZDZ weighs 1.2 lbs more BUT I've seen some of yu guys using a tuned pipe on yak which adds about a pound. I know ZDZ is overkill for yak. But with throttle management it would be the same weight as using DA50 with tuned pipe and li po batteries??? what cha thank ??!!

cadconversions 01-31-2005 03:38 AM

So, how long of a waiting list on the yak right now? Thanks for the link!

cadconversions 01-31-2005 03:40 AM

so the fuse is two ply with foam inbetween? What's the purpose of that? I guess it adds strength without much weight compared to ply?

WaPilot 01-31-2005 03:44 AM

I've talked to someone from EF and I believe he told me that ship HAS ARRIVED !!!!!!!!!! Needs to clear customs and sill be delivered to EF and they will ship out to customers around mid FEB !!!!!!!! Clean out your work table boys!!!

Maudib 01-31-2005 07:57 AM

The foam is two "half rounds" on both sides of the plane... main purpose is to create that beautiful round shape... It is also MUCH stronger than doing it strictly built up. The turtle deck is sheeted foam too.. .for the same reasons.

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

so the fuse is two ply with foam inbetween? What's the purpose of that? I guess it adds strength without much weight compared to ply?

Maudib 01-31-2005 08:07 AM

The ZDZ 80 will be MORE than a lb heavier... because you'll add another 12 oz. for a muffler (I have one and just weighed it) as well as a few more oz. for the larger prop.

You'll also be so overpowered that the enjoyment would be reduced along with the wingloading being greatly increased.

You'd be around 17 + lbs with a ZDZ80 and 15.5lbs with a DA-50 & stock muffler.... if you watch the 3D vide of Wayne, he does some "pogos" showing the pullout of the 50 eith stock muffler....

Quite simply you don' need more.

I also thing that you'd have tremendous difficulty in programming a throttle curve to get you some resolution in the hovering/harrier band, and when you got it, you';d throw off the rest of your transition...

I'd be willingot bet this would hover at 1/4 thottle on an 80 and rip the wings off at 2/3's.

I flew my 80 on a 26.75 lb Edge and it flew it quite well... a little underpowered for radical 3D but fair...

Now it's in a 22.5 lb Sukhoi and it will be the bomb at that weight...

ORIGINAL: WaPilot

I've been stalking :D this orum for a while and finally put my self on a waiting list. This would be my first gasser. Well I do have a 1/3 laser 200 used that I bought from LHS that needs engine. Here's a deal. Laser will require ZDZ 80.... Yak only needs DA 50.... ZDZ weighs 1.2 lbs more BUT I've seen some of yu guys using a tuned pipe on yak which adds about a pound. I know ZDZ is overkill for yak. But with throttle management it would be the same weight as using DA50 with tuned pipe and li po batteries??? what cha thank ??!!

BBriBro 01-31-2005 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Maudib

You'll also be so overpowered that the enjoyment would be reduced along with the wingloading.
I know what you meant, it just didn't come out right, the wingloading will not be reduced ! only the enjoyment.

Maudib 01-31-2005 08:34 AM

Yep... edited for clarity... the benfits of the awesome low wl will be lost by increasing it substantially...

Got lazy typing it... :)

ORIGINAL: BBriBro

ORIGINAL: Maudib

You'll also be so overpowered that the enjoyment would be reduced along with the wingloading.
I know what you meant, it just didn't come out right, the wingloading will not be reduced ! only the enjoyment.

jrjohn 01-31-2005 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: coche

try fromeco batteries! same thing better price! and kurt the owner its very good person!

www.fromeco.org
Does Fromco have redundant packs??

John

flyme2dmoon 01-31-2005 08:52 AM

I have a ZDZ 60 laying around, would it be OK for the Yak?

wgeffon 01-31-2005 09:05 AM

ZDZ 80? [X(] That will kill this planes performance with the added weight.

ZDZ 60? That motor is well over a pound heavier than the DA. Not a good thing.

This plane was designed around 50cc motors. Not to barely fly on a 50cc but perform on a 50.
Everyone who has flown it, whether with the DA or the BME, says the power is more than adequate.
The videos prove that.

You have to keep the wingloading down to have it fly as well as it does. More motor that you dont need is a waste.

jrjohn 01-31-2005 09:27 AM

Wayne, are you using a Fromeco Battery? If so do they provide any redundancy

John

p.s what does your entire battery system weigh. Ignition and switches included. I'm guessing 12.1 ounces?

BBriBro 01-31-2005 09:30 AM

I am using the fromecos, the redundancy I have is from dual batteries, I'm not aware of any internal redundancy from within the pack.
Some people used to think that a 5 cell NiCd was redundant in that if one cell failed, you'd still have 4, that is assuming you could land before those 4 got sucked down too (assuming a short) anyone know for sure how the Duralites work?

Yak Man 01-31-2005 09:32 AM

Flight Mode 0 and 1
Aileron. 60% travel / 45% expo
Elevator 33% travel / 40% expo
Rudder 50% travel / 40% expo

Flight Mode 2
Aileron. 100% travel / 45% expo
Elevator 100% travel / 45% expo
Rudder 100% travel / 45% expo

Wayne are you using dual rates for each mode? What type of radio are you using?

My timer was initially set for 10 minutes. I landed and had over 3/4 of a tank left!
I upped it to 16 minutes and was landing with just under half a tank left.
[/quote]

Is that is with the stock 24 oz tank? I am considering a 20 oz or 16 oz, no sense packing an additional 4 to 8 oz.

wgeffon 01-31-2005 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Wayne, are you using a Fromeco Battery? If so do they provide any redundancy

John

p.s what does your entire battery system weigh. Ignition and switches included. I'm guessing 12.1 ounces?

I am using Powerflite Batteries.
Lithium Ion.

The Duralite and Fromeco's are also Li-ion.
I dont know if they are considered redundant batteries. My guess is no.

I dont know what it weighs.

wgeffon 01-31-2005 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: jds158

JR 10X
Those are my dual dual rates. Maybe I am not understanding what your asking..

My timer was initially set for 10 minutes. I landed and had over 3/4 of a tank left!
I upped it to 16 minutes and was landing with just under half a tank left. Is that is with the stock 24 oz tank?
The stock tank is 20oz. You dont need anything bigger.

flat spin 01-31-2005 09:46 AM

A question. With everyone here using Lithium as their power source why is it only Lithium Ion which is being used, what's wrong with Lipo? I have used these for around a year now with no problems, are they less capable of handling vibration?

stomper 01-31-2005 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: jds158

Flight Mode 0 and 1
Aileron. 60% travel / 45% expo
Elevator 33% travel / 40% expo
Rudder 50% travel / 40% expo

Flight Mode 2
Aileron. 100% travel / 45% expo
Elevator 100% travel / 45% expo
Rudder 100% travel / 45% expo

I upped it to 16 minutes and was landing with just under half a tank left.

I'll go out on a limb on this one
Flight Mode = Dual Rates
The 10X has three dual rate positions.

HTH

Yak Man 01-31-2005 09:51 AM

I was under the impression that you had three different flight modes set up.
I am using a JR 9303 and with each mode 0, 1 & 2 you are able to use d/r for each mode. Thus you have the possibility of 6 rates. This is done by using the 3-position flap switch or 3-position aux switch.

Are you just using the d/r to switch btwn precision flying and 3-D, if so how do you idle up in mode 1?
Or are you using the 3 modes to control the amount of throw without having to flip three different D/R switches for elv, rud and aileron

wgeffon 01-31-2005 10:11 AM

Thats correct Doug,

The Flight modes allow a little more flexibility than just dual rates.
You can individually adjust expo setting for each mode. You can have different trim settings from mode to mode. (not that you really want to with an aerobatic plane)

Good example is what I have programed on FM 0 and FM 1,
FM 1 is the same as FM 2 as far as rates, expo and trim but I have a higher idle set to activate in FM 1

wgeffon 01-31-2005 10:13 AM

JDS,

The flight modes, are all activated from one switch. (Aileron DR switch)
Is that what you are asking?