RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2408226-extreme-flight-87%22-yak-54-build-fly.html)

going vert 12-06-2004 08:56 PM

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

1 Attachment(s)
Got off the phone with Chris earlier today, and the Yaks will be here soon. They are coming in two waves - air and sea. Not sure how many are coming in each wave. I've arranged to meet with two other builders to slam this Yak out in one day. My Yak will be done before the end of the year, if all goes well. I don't know when the sea shipped Yaks will arrive....

I will be creating a web site with building and flying tips specifically for this plane. I plan to post videos of this plane flying all the IMAC sequences and lots of freestyle. In fact, the site will even give people an opportunity to host video of them flying the 87"er. I'll post directions on how to upload your Yak videos soon.

I know there is another thread on this plane, but I wanted to start fresh. There is too much back and forth about other Yaks. Let's leave that subject alone and talk about the EF Yak.

This is what I'm buying today, per Chris' recommendation.
(4) 1.5" servo arms - heavy duty for the elevator & ailerons. I bought my stuff from Scott at SWB today.
(1) 3" servo arm - heavy duty for the rudder
(2) 24" HD extensions for the elevators
(2) 12" HD extensions for the ailerons
(1) 24" HD extension for the throttle
For those of you running the KS 1060 tuned pipe, Chris has a mounting technique that requires 2-3' of +/- 1/4" ID fuel tubing from Dubro with a tie wrap in that length. I have not found the Dubro product number yet for the tubing.
(1) 2200 Battery + regulator - I'm going to buy some Fromeco stuff.
(1) 4400 Battery + regulator

Plus all the other stuff, motor, prop, radio gear,etc...

My website for this plane will be http://extremeflightyak.shutupandfly.com/. This site will be full of information after the plane goes together. Stay tuned....

N45328 12-06-2004 09:08 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Links dont work for me..

going vert 12-06-2004 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pictures of the motor setup. The pipe is a KS1060 w/ a question mark header. The pipe is 30" long.

BasinBum 12-06-2004 09:45 PM

Gee, that's great! Now all you need is a plane...... Don't you think a build thread for a plane that hasn't shipped yet is a bit premature? Even Chris must be embarrased by this thread. I have confidence that it will be worth the wait but give it a rest till it shows up. Two years of talk and hype (by everyone BUT Chris by the way) is enough already.

going vert 12-07-2004 06:54 AM

For those of you wanting to post video of the Extreme Flight 87" or 68" Yak here is how you do it:

1) email me [email protected] with your name and what you want to post. I need the size and file type.
2) I will respond to the email with the FTP site, user ID and password. I'll only leave that user ID open for one day.
3) I'll transfer the video over to another domain that has very fast download speed.
4) I'll email you back with the URL for you to share the video with RCU or your friends.

747drvr 12-07-2004 08:21 AM

Would the same header be used for a canister ? Do you happen to know what canister model would be suitable for the DA 50 ? Where did you purchase your set up from ?

Thanks,
Marc

Mokken 12-07-2004 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Gee, that's great! Now all you need is a plane...... Don't you think a build thread for a plane that hasn't shipped yet is a bit premature? Even Chris must be embarrased by this thread. I have confidence that it will be worth the wait but give it a rest till it shows up. Two years of talk and hype (by everyone BUT Chris by the way) is enough already.
Shame on someone for being excited about something....

Basin, you sir are complete jerk...Glad you are 3k miles away from my flying field....

dgfick 12-07-2004 09:28 AM

Who's the third in your Yak-Off building party????

harrier 12-07-2004 09:53 AM

BasinBurn,

I feel I must say something here. I have know Chris for many years, in fact I fly with him every weekend and also fly his planes (even the one that you don't think is going to ship). Several of us at our field fly his prototypes (which are better than most production planes out there) If there is one thing I know - it is that Chris is the kind of person that will make things perfect before shipping anything out the door. As you may have noticed - his currently available .40 sized Edge profile and 68" Yak 54 products are that of master craftsmanship levels! The 87's are coming. I know first hand that they are. So shut up and Fly.

rmh 12-07-2004 09:53 AM

aegis 12-07-2004 10:05 AM

Why is it that it seems like in almost every thread there is someone who doesn't heed the RCU policy? Remember, the part right above where you type your post that says, "Please resist the urge to . . . insult or embarrass someone in your post." If someone wants to start a thread just let them do it. If there's no interest than no one will respond. If there is interest, than people will be appreciative. If you don't like a thread just move on to one that you do.

Dan

747drvr 12-07-2004 10:20 AM

Wow ! This must be close to a new record for how many posts it takes for people to start bickering !;)

Now back to discussion about the much anticipated Yak....... !

Marc

BasinBum 12-07-2004 10:38 AM

I didn't break any forum rules.
I didn't call anyone names.
My post is directly about the plane.
I didn't disparage Chris or his models.
I have a right to my opinion of this model at this point in time.

I'm glad you guys are so excited about this long awaited release and have fun building your planes.

Mokken 12-07-2004 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: 747drvr

Wow ! This must be close to a new record for how many posts it takes for people to start bickering !;)

Now back to discussion about the much anticipated Yak....... !

Marc
No bickering, just a few people setting folks like BasinBum straight....

Yes...Lets talk about the YAK.. :D

P-51B 12-07-2004 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Mokken

No bickering, just a few people setting folks like BasinBum straight....

:eek:

edgeman55 12-07-2004 11:05 AM

Wow all this over a model airplane!!Oh well back to the subject at hand,Thanks Drew for starting a build thread as most of us will be waiting on the slow boat shipment.It will be nice to see where and how all the pieces fit together.My new DA50 and KS pipe have been waiting for months for this plane but I know it is worth it.I have extremes 540t profile and Yak electric and have flown my buddies 68" Yak many times.All of Chris's creations speak for themselves.

GalenB 12-07-2004 11:17 AM

Why should Chris be embarassed? He couldn't buy this kind of marketing and publicity! If the hype turns into sales Chris and his company should do very well.

going vert 12-07-2004 06:16 PM

Larry and the micro flyer. Dave - why don't you come out too?

ORIGINAL: dgfick

Who's the third in your Yak-Off building party????

going vert 12-07-2004 06:32 PM

Hey guys, let's talk about the Yak. If you guys want to flame me or Basin let's do it in another thread. I really wanted to start fresh with this thread - no BS about when the plane should have arrived.

I have some good ideas about this little web site I'm making. I'm going to take videos of the build - I haven't seen many people do that. We have some good tricks for sealing hinges, mounting motors, and cutting cowls. Does anyone want to see anything in particular?

Anyway, let's get on with the Yak discussion, even if it's premature....

Thanks!

going vert 12-07-2004 06:35 PM

I got everything from DA. In fact, they were on back order. I bought my setup about 4 months ago. I don't know if a canister will fit. Chris needs to help out on that one. I am really excited about this pipe setup. I've never run a tuned pipe on a gas motor!

ORIGINAL: 747drvr

Would the same header be used for a canister ? Do you happen to know what canister model would be suitable for the DA 50 ? Where did you purchase your set up from ?

Thanks,
Marc

GoeKeli 12-07-2004 07:00 PM

Where are the pictures of your 87" yak? Are you building one? Am I missing something?

Joe

Maudib 12-07-2004 07:14 PM

My guess is that Going Vert has been notified that he was one of the first 20 people on the list and therefore will be getting one of the 20 planes that Chris (as you might imagine at great expense to himself) is having shipped air freight.

Going Vert probably knows he'll see this plane in less than a week, and has (rightfully) so gotten quite excited about it. Sounds like he's going to go through a lot of trouble to share the info and process.

As far as hype? I can only chuckle at that. Those who DIDN'T get in on the first big batch will be crying the blues come spring. And the few that cancelled their order... well.. tee hee...

Keep it coming Going Vert... I'm anxious about the tuned pipe setup and install too... I may just have to go that route myself.

dgfick 12-07-2004 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: going vert

I didn't know that Larry would buy anything smaller than 40%........LOL

Where are you doing this at? Larry's?

going vert 12-07-2004 08:47 PM

Ya - he has a hobby shop right there on site. If i forget something we can just buy it from Larry.

ORIGINAL: dgfick

ORIGINAL: going vert

I didn't know that Larry would buy anything smaller than 40%........LOL

Where are you doing this at? Larry's?

BasinBum 12-07-2004 08:57 PM

Drew,
My buddy in crime, Joe Kelly knows quite a bit about running the DA 50 on a pipe. If you have any specific questions about it he's a good one to ask.

J.David,
I don't have to wait till Spring to cry, I'll be talking the Wildhare out to the field tomorrow with a smile.