RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   DA 50 fuel dot (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2481647-da-50-fuel-dot.html)

jlmrph 12-29-2004 11:35 PM

DA 50 fuel dot

I'm just finishing an aeroworks ultimate 27% and will be installing a DA fuel dot. the fuselage walls are fairly thin and the fuel dot will be fitted through it and held to the fuselage with 5 4-40 screws. No backing plate or threaded nut comes with the DA Fuel dot. The 4-40 screws will only hold the dot in place through the fuse wall. Has anyone fabricated a back plate for this fuel dot, or am I worrying about nothing . The fuel dot plug seems to wedge into the housing fairly tight and will need prying to open it. thanks

ICE_MAN 12-29-2004 11:37 PM

RE: DA 50 fuel dot

Can you get a lockwasher and nut onto the screws?

jlmrph 12-29-2004 11:44 PM

It will be tight but think that may be the best i can do to make it solid. I'm concerned that housing will become loose after repeated opening and closing of the fuel dot. how has the DA fuel dot worked out on your planes?

walton 12-30-2004 07:05 AM

Mine has worked great.
Every now and then I need to put a little lube on the O ring.

Make a ring out of ply and and glue it to the inside of the fuse.

Robotech 12-30-2004 08:36 AM

That's exactly what I did. Made a backing ring of lite ply, drilled the holes and filled with epoxy. After it dried I tapped them out to 4-40 and it worked out great. I do have to use a small srewdriver to get the plug out but I'm sure it will loosen up with time.

walton 12-30-2004 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Robotech

That's exactly what I did. Made a backing ring of lite ply, drilled the holes and filled with epoxy. After it dried I tapped them out to 4-40 and it worked out great. I do have to use a small srewdriver to get the plug out but I'm sure it will loosen up with time.
That is why I put a little Vaseline on the O ring on mine from time to time.

ten pillows 12-30-2004 10:22 AM

jlmrph how did you like the assembly of your Ultimate? Could you include a few pictures of the finished results. I am building the same plane w/the same engine. Think it's going to be a blast! When do you expect to fly it? Hope you make a video. What specs did you cut the engine box sides to? Did you need to use any spacers on the engine mounts? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
ten pillows

jlmrph 12-30-2004 02:53 PM

The Ultimate has taken a while to built even though its an art. I used 3 inch stand offs with my DA 50 and used just washers to gain a little more right thrust and up thrust on the engine after checking with incidence meters. I have forgotten how much I cut off the box
sides but be sure to cut the same off of each measuring from the front back as they are of unequal length to make right thrust for your engine. The instructions are not the greatest and unless they have changed things. the supports for the side of the box that mount between formers are not the correct length. You also may have work with top wing half alignment. Take your time when tapping wings for retainer bolts also. and lastly the covering will need some low heat the make sure it is stuck down tight. I will try to post a picture soon . In the meantime there is a foum on www. flyingcirkus.com that really helps. I hope to fly it at a winter fun fly in January weather permitting. I'm really happy with the kit so far and think it will fly great. e-mail or post if you run across any questions. I'll e-mail you the length I removed from box sides.

JohnVH 12-30-2004 03:24 PM

On my Comp ARF 3.3m Yak I just screwed them into the fuse with a touch of CA on the threads, they are holding up great!

ten pillows 12-30-2004 08:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I am going to drill and mount the engine tonight. Hopefully it'll all work out.

ten pillows

gunny11 01-04-2005 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
what walton said.

tommy157 01-04-2005 10:44 AM

That picture looks like a Patty Extra300..how do you like it? What engine?

Mokken 01-04-2005 11:55 AM

A friend I fly with had a backplate CNC'd out of aluminum with threads for the screws that DA provides. He mentioned that if enough people where interested he would make a batch and sell them pretty cheap. If anyone is interested just send me a PM and we will see what happens.

gunny11 01-05-2005 02:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Absolutelly love it. It truley is a Great Plane;)