RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Composite-Arf Aileron Down deflection?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2490804-composite-arf-aileron-down-deflection.html)

Matt Merciez 01-01-2005 06:52 PM

Composite-Arf Aileron Down deflection??

I recently acquired a Composite-Arf 2.6 Extra and am currently redoing the control linkages and servos. I am using digital servos on the wings and am using a Hangar 9 amp meter to tell me when I am experiencing any binding with the servos.

When I go to down deflection on the aillerons, I am seeing a significant increase in current draw (in excess of 1 amp/servo) prior to the servo reaching its end travel. The increase in current is occuring when the aileron starts to slide under the main wing skin lip. The lip is not binding but showing up as resistance on the amp meter. I can see the lip start to deflect as the aileron slides under. I really don't want to have that high of a current draw on the servos and am leaning towards sanding the main skin down 2-3mm as discussed in the manual. Has anyone else seen this in the composite-arfs?

Thanks,

Flyfalcons 01-01-2005 07:14 PM

RE: Composite-Arf Aileron Down deflection??

Is this a new bird? My ailerons were stiff for a while, especially deflecting down, but loosened up over the first twenty flights or so.

Flyfalcons 01-01-2005 07:16 PM

PS if you are worried about resistance, you probably wouldn't want to know how much resistance there is against your servos in flight. That's why we use high torquers.

Matt Merciez 01-01-2005 07:25 PM

I bought the plane used from here on RCUniverse but the prior owner maybe put 10 flights max on the plane. It is good news that they skin will loosen over time.

Flyfalcons 01-01-2005 07:42 PM

Yeah at this point I'd say the hinges are still wearing in. At first my ailerons wouldn't drop on their own with the radio power off; now they do.

mu2driver 01-01-2005 11:11 PM

Ryans right on the use of High Torque Servos, you coud relieve the skins by sanding them back, you can sand as much as 3/16 gap with out hurting anything. My 3.1m came sanded from the factory, at neutral the gap is about 1.8"

CDignition 01-01-2005 11:22 PM

I run my 2.6M with a single 8611 on each wing..it is plenty for this plane, even for high stress 3D stuff...

My one wing panel got a bit of damage in the beginning, a grass stalk must have gotten in there..it was binding, so I sanded it just a bit, maybe 1/16" now it is fine....

Make sure you arent trying to get too much throw out of it...

twister 01-02-2005 10:00 PM

You also have to remember that comp arf ailerons are hinged on top and your using a little more power trying to get more downward throw verses the ease of flexing upwards!!!