RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Coleman Fuel in ZDZ 100 NG ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2502562-coleman-fuel-zdz-100-ng.html)

DKflyer 01-04-2005 07:15 PM

Coleman Fuel in ZDZ 100 NG ??

I recently purchased a ZDZ 100 NG from a friend. I have been using Coleman lantern fuel in my other gas model (a heli) with great results. I love that it has no significant smell as I am very sensitive to the smell of gasoline. I was wondering if anyone has been using Coleman fuel in their ZDZ 100 and if there were any problems with this.

I know that they recommend high octane gas and that Coleman is low octane, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work because the Coleman burns much more smoothly than gasoline and is therefore less likely to cause detonation.

Thanks,

DK

r180reef 01-04-2005 07:28 PM

RE: Coleman Fuel in ZDZ 100 NG ??

The reason it burns smoother is because of the lack of octane. The ignition stroke should be a violent ignition of the fuel, thus making HP. Lower octane fuel may cause detonation under load, the results of that probably wont be good. Good luck and have fun. Ron

Diablo-RCU 01-04-2005 07:34 PM

Burns smoothly? The octane rating is THE measurement of a fuel's resistance to detonation. Coleman fuel is low octane (around 70), so it has poor resistance to detonation.
I've only run premium in my ZDZ-80, although some friends run 87 octane (regular unleaded) in theirs. The distributor recommends premium because of the high compression ratio. Other things that contribute to detonation are high loads (full throttle and large diameter/pitch props), hot weather, poor cooling air flow in the cowl, too much ignition advance, too hot a plug heat range, and lean fuel-air ratio.

If you must run a low octane fuel, you may have to work on those other things that contribute to detonation.

Carlos Murphy 01-05-2005 01:59 AM

You can add "Octane-Boost" to Coleman fuel if needed, buy it at any car parts store.

DKflyer 01-05-2005 06:34 PM

From what I have been told, Coleman fuel is more resistant than gasoline to detonation. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it in the ZDZ motor. As I said, I have used it in a G26 with excellent results.

Thanks,

DK

Diablo-RCU 01-05-2005 07:45 PM

Whoever told you that is wrong.
Yes, you may get away with it in some engines (G26) because some engines are more resistant to detonation.

From the Coleman website:
Coleman fuel is basically petroleum naphtha with a bit of rust inhibitor. It has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and none of the additives found in gasoline. It has a lighter molecular weight than gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel and cannot be used as a substitute for any of those fuels. The flammability of Coleman Fuel is comparable to gasoline but it cannot be used in gasoline engines. It will burn out the valves.

coony2787 01-05-2005 07:54 PM

It wont have good results in a high compression ratio engine such as a ZDZ. Make sure you run premium gas in the engine. Coleman fuel detonates very easily if you want to try some put it in an old car. I put some in my 1958 VW bug and realized just how pitiful of a fuel it is for making power. The car detonated so bad i could not even drive it for fear of burning a hole in the piston. I did this to see what the fuel would do in an engine large enough to hear the predetonation. Predetonation is very very harmful to a engine. It will destroy it very quickly.

Chad

DKflyer 01-05-2005 09:15 PM

Looks like I will be using premium gas then (hate the smell though). Thanks for the replys!

DK

Stick Jammer 01-05-2005 10:17 PM

There are flavor additives available nowadays in just about any scent you could want. Pick your favorite and you'll never know it's gasoline. ;)

rmh 01-06-2005 09:39 AM

How about peanut butter - I love peanut butter .

3DFanatic 01-06-2005 02:40 PM

MMmmmm now I'm hungry :D

I love the cherry scent the heli guys use. That stuff smells goooooooood.[8D]

DKflyer 01-06-2005 08:08 PM

There are flavor additives available nowadays in just about any scent you could want. Pick your favorite and you'll never know it's gasoline.
Where do you get these? Also, do they cause any problems?

Thanks,

DK

Stick Jammer 01-06-2005 08:32 PM

Well here's one place. Do a search on fuel additives or fuel scent additives and I'm sure you'll come up with a bunch.

http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.com/product_23.html

famousdave 01-07-2005 02:40 PM

Use a low octane fuel in that ZDZ and you better have a big catchers mitt on to pick up the pieces...

I have seen three go belly up from detonation on low octane fuel or even 87 octane in the AZ heat...

I'm sorry but a gas engine is supposed to smell like gas. If you are allergic stick with glow..

I am allergic to cats... I don't have a cat and try to make it smell like a dog!

Coleman fuel is useless in a ZDZ, even if you lowered the compression enough to make it not detonate, it would produce half the power.
Additives like octane booster slow down combustion, rob power and in the process deposit heavy metal and carbon soots on the surfaces, opening up a path
for detonation later.

There is no substitute for good gas. It is a smell to be savored!

Personally, I like pure nitro... lots of HP, but for some reason the engine separates from the firewall too easily...
DP

Gas is for washing parts
Alcohol is for drinkin'
Nitro is for RACING

JBrannon 01-07-2005 03:32 PM

Gas is for washing parts
Be careful about washing parts in Gas, it contains Benzene which causes a very deadly type of cancer when absorbed thru the skin.

Joe

RTK 01-07-2005 03:54 PM

Benzene is a great solvent, carcinogenic with long term exposure, YES. Just wish I would have paid more attention in organic chem lab. It seemed I used to get soaked in that stuff all the time. Still kicking though.

ORIGINAL: JBrannon

Be careful about washing parts in Gas, it contains Benzene which causes a very deadly type of cancer when absorbed thru the skin.

Joe

famousdave 01-07-2005 05:04 PM

Well then, that would most certainly explain the large necrotic lumpy growths on my hands....

Guess I better go see a doctor.

Jeeesh!
DP

canavanbob 01-07-2005 06:36 PM

DP
It's probably too late for medical intervention. I would just spend the money on airplane stuff and enjoy what time you have left!;)
Bob

RTK 01-07-2005 08:37 PM

Gasoline only scares me when it is on me and on fire.

But I guess better safe than sorry.