RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Cockpit Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/2782053-extreme-flight-87%22-yak-54-cockpit-build.html)

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:25 PM

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Cockpit Build

1 Attachment(s)
This is the beginning of a rather long thread showing the build of a custom cockpit kit made for the Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54. The complete photo kit only weights a couple of ounces. I built this kit out of 30+ digital photos, that were retouched, distorted, illustrated into cockpit photos that look like you are seeing inside the Yak 54. The photos I used are all from real aircraft very similar to the Yak 54. Most of my images came from photos of a Pitts M12. Given that, this cockpit is scale quality, but not exact scale to a actual Yak 54. To wet your appetite, here are the photos of the finished kit installed in the Yak canopy. As you can see the canopy still needs to be painted for the panels lines and edges. I have created a rear cockpit with a pilot in the seat. The torso of this pilot gets covered up by a regular pilot bust and looks great. I also have a version of the rear pit witout a pilot at all. This version is just darkened with shadows so it does not look like a floating shark biten pilot bust that is floating when installed.

Send me a direct e-mail ([email protected])if you are interested in one of these.

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:27 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Cockpit Build

1 Attachment(s)
Step 1
I made exact templates for all of the needed cockpits and dash panels.

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More templates...

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This shows my final templates. I trim to fit just right and then scan them into my trusty Mac.

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Step 2
Use black marker and hide several areas of the canopy structure that will be visible after the kit is installed.

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Step 3
Many, many, many hours of photo retouching later I have developed these photographic cockpit visuals and fit them perfectly into the new digital templates.

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Step 4
Build the rear dash board and cut the slots in the base for the dash attachment. Carefully cut the individual tabs and fold them. Do not tape to base yet.

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More rear dash assembly. Cut slot holes in the base for an easy slide fit.

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Step 5
Remove the rear dash and start inserting the individual templates into the canopy. Carefully curve the graphic prints to fit in through the rear. Do not bend or fold. Anchor each piece with heavy duty 3M fiber tape from the bottom of the canopy. Support each panel from the inside with your hand to get a tight fit and firm tape surface. Install the assembled rear dash before adding the front graphic panel (see photo).

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More installing and taping...

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More installing and taping.... After all panels are installed add additional fiber tape for a strong bond.

Kregg 03-19-2005 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That takes us right back where we started. I will add some type of wood brace under the floor print for the pilot bust to be attached. The rear photo panel showing the inside of the back fuse can be installed last or removed to intall your pilot. This is a bit tricky without having a hand inside for support.

Getting a nice pilot bust to go with these rearlistic visuals. I suggest the www.litepilots.com pilots. They are very light and look great. I can change the shirt color to generally match a pilot but if required.

So. What does everyone think?

Kregg

JWilliams 03-19-2005 12:56 PM

Very innovative, I like what you have done. The only thing I might throw out there is for anyone using this plane for IMAC, I am not sure it meets the requirement. Good work.
Jeff W.

Kregg 03-19-2005 01:03 PM

It will meet the requirments once you add a pilot.

BBriBro 03-19-2005 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: JWilliams

The only thing I might throw out there is for anyone using this plane for IMAC, I am not sure it meets the requirement.
I took that as a joke, he he. I think it looks fantastic, so are you going to sell these as kits? or just sharing ideas with us?

Jleyland 03-19-2005 02:56 PM

That looks awesome Kregg. I think if one were to add the head of one of those foam pilots or use a 'helmet head' pilot with it, the result would look fantastic. Awesome job!

Mike Bogh 03-19-2005 03:17 PM

Very, very, VERY well done sir.
Inovative, original, and obviously time well spent.
Kudos and thank you for your effort.
I'll contact you when I get the Yak...for sure.

Kregg 03-20-2005 08:24 AM

Thanks for all the nice comment guys. Its great to hear from you to Jon. I hope life is treating you right in the NE. I hope we run into each other sometime this year. The kits will be ready to ship out on Monday or Tuesday if anyone wants one.

Thx,
Kregg

Apples 03-20-2005 02:43 PM

Kregg,

I sent you e-mail and PM advising you that I'm encountering a problem with your e-mail reply. Please answer PM message.

Roy

Kregg 03-20-2005 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Several people have asked what the rear cockpit looks like without the pilot. I do not have my good camera here at home, but below you will find a low quality pic with NO PILOT. I will also attach a pic of my Pitts 12 cockpit, since this one uses the NO PILOT floor photo. You will notice in this pic that my pilot bust looks good even without arms and legs. The addition of the arms and legs was just an extra touch that I thought everyone would like. I can do the prints either way.
Thx,
Kregg
[email protected]

BTW: My e-mail is working fine and that is the mode of communication I need from everyone. One person has a issue, but everything is working just fine. My system has been scanned and is virus free. I sent Roy a PM for his issue.

cadconversions 03-20-2005 08:11 PM

Again, great stuff Kregg.

DrScoles 03-21-2005 10:25 AM

too cool, please post when kits are available....

Mike

Kregg 03-21-2005 10:33 AM

Everything is ready! Send me an e-mail for info.
Kregg
[email protected]

Kregg 03-28-2005 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The pic below is from a Cap cockpit kit of mine, but it shows how a pilot bust will blend with the pilot body that I include in the cockpit visual. Many people have asked what it looks like with a pilot bust installed. This should give you a pretty good idea. You can still have it with or without the pilot body visual. I think it looks good either way.

Apples 04-02-2005 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kregg,

Although I have not finished putting the kit together inside of the Yak canopy, I thought I would post some pics to express how thoroughly satisfied I am in having invested in the purchase of your unique idea. This kit complements the 87" Yak completely. Even my wife was awestruck when I pointed to the custom shading of the hands that I requested. She thought that I had sent you a pic of my hands. Now I have to continue shading my pilot until "it works" as you have laboured to make this kit work for us Yak owners.

Roy