RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/3990284-new-bme-aircraft-30%25-extra330l.html)

Ken-h 03-04-2006 01:06 PM

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

1 Attachment(s)
I am stoked, I just started assembly of BME Aircraft’s new 30% Extra 330. Last fall I learned they were coming out with an Extra and pleaded to get one early. It’s a proto-type of the final version that has gone into production and should be here around April according to Max of BME. Construction is quite a departure from their previous aircraft (see pictures below). It’s all laser cut lite-ply and fully interlocking which looks quite impressive. Uses extensive lightening and complete with canister tunnel.

It has all the CF goodies like wing and stab tubes as well as push rods. New aluminum control horn sets and wing, fuse, and stab bags. The covering is metallic Ultracote and it’s very pleasing to the eye unlike some of their previous releases. It did have an area on one the wings where the overlap was not tacked down but was an easy fix. Don’t know the wing area but it spans 87”. It even came with Dubro 4/40 ball links and a 20oz fuel tank.

For power I’ll be using a DA-50 and a Slimline muffler. Servos, four 5945’s and one 8611 with SWB servo arms. A Bisson 3 ½” fiberglass spinner and a 23x8 BME or NX prop. The assembled one in the picture is from the NW Hobby expo taken Dave Lauck last month during the event. Should have this in the air shortly and I'll try to post more pictures of the assembly.

JoeAirPort 03-04-2006 03:33 PM

RE: BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Niiiice! That is the best covering job BME has done on these new 30% ARF's. Did you weigh it? I'd like to know what it weighs without the control horns, tank etc. Whatever they included in the first ones I'd like to know what it weighs. Typical was right around 10 pounds for the ARF's. If that is anything at or under 10 pounds it should be real nice. At or under 9 pounds and you are in the low 16's pounds. BTW if that's a brand new DA 50 you might want to use a 22x8 until it's broken in. The 23x8's a lot of prop on a new engine.

Keep us posted, it's a very cool looking plane.

Ken-h 03-04-2006 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Joe,

I don't have a good scale for weighing the parts so I'll have to give you an AUW when I'm finished. I'll have John weigh it since his is right on. Having both the Yak and Edge, this one seems lighter. In fact...I am a little concerned at this point maybe ending up a little nose heavy because its so light in the rear, we'll see.

Firewall is mounted and perfect for the DA50 with 3" inch standoffs. The right thrust is already built in and requires no measuring to install. The firewall was pre-marked for the thrust line and engine centerline.

I pulled the engine and servos from my Edge so everything is extremely broken in.

Ken

T. Bob 03-04-2006 05:07 PM

Looks great

Ken-h 03-04-2006 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here it is with the DA mounted. The cowl is fixed with four 6/32 bolts, two in the bottom and two in the canopy hatch area. The measurements on the firewall were prefect.

Ken

Bruce Rolfe 03-04-2006 10:36 PM

Ken,
WHere is John VH. I haven't seen him lurking around lately. BTW the Extra looks good.

Bruce

Slyder 03-04-2006 11:45 PM

Looks good.
Looks much better than the lucky charms edge.:D

JoeAirPort 03-05-2006 12:14 AM

Ken is that carb really close to that firewall, or is it just the angle?

Ken-h 03-05-2006 12:51 AM

Joe,

It's just the angle. It's probably a good 1 1/2" off the firewall with the 3" standoffs.

Bruce,

Last I heard from John he was pulling a tranny. Better him than me.:D Going to give him a shout tomorrow.

Ken

krayzc-RCU 03-05-2006 10:24 AM

Its about time they came out wiht a color scheme that would at least make me look more into the plane. i am liking what i am seeing [8D]

Ken-h 03-05-2006 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The airplane does look great. Had some trouble with the wheel pants. The holes going through the gear were a little too small for the 4/40 bolts and I broke one off. I got a little over zealous with the wrench and ended up spending 30 minutes drilling it out. Live and learn I guess. I think the bolt had a bad head anyway because I did not wrench on it that hard.

Here are some more pictures with the servos mounted and a close up of the aluminum horns. The horn mounting hard points on the control surfaces are about two inches long so no problems getting everything at 90 degrees.

Ken

marzo91 03-05-2006 12:33 PM

Do you know if they decided on a price yet?

JoeAirPort 03-05-2006 02:01 PM

Very nice control horns. Do you think a jam nut will be needed to keep the clevis from rotating on the horn bolt?

Ken-h 03-05-2006 07:51 PM

Do you know if they decided on a price yet?
Marzo,

I spoke with Max and he said it will be around the same price as the Edge540. Have not looked lately to see what those are going for nowadays.

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Very nice control horns. Do you think a jam nut will be needed to keep the clevis from rotating on the horn bolt?

Joe,

No, you wont need jam nuts if you use loctite on the aluminum base. I do the same thing with the Dubro hardware and toss the jam nuts.

JohnVH 03-05-2006 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Bruce Rolfe

Ken,
WHere is John VH. I haven't seen him lurking around lately. BTW the Extra looks good.

Bruce
Hey Bruce! Just walked in haha, Extra looks good!!! You cant go wrong with any bme airplane!

Ken-h 03-06-2006 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I am quickly running out of room in the garage. I guess I'll have to get braver in my flying style to get the mess cleaned up. Here is a couple pictures of the completed airframe. I also posted a picture of the bottom of the wing so you guys can see what it looks like. About the only thing I had to measure on this airplane while putting it together was the length of push rods I needed to cut. Seems a little nose heavy but I have lots of room to move the batteries around.

Ken

JoeAirPort 03-06-2006 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Ken-h

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Joe,

No, you wont need jam nuts if you use loctite on the aluminum base. I do the same thing with the Dubro hardware and toss the jam nuts.
Ken I was talking about the other end, where the control rod attaches to the bolt. That gold piece that seems like it can rotate on the bolt/rod.

Y N C 03-06-2006 01:34 PM

Very nice Ken. Best looking Extra out there. Looks like Max out did himself this time. So when will it be in stock?

Ken-h 03-06-2006 02:44 PM

Joe,

It's not needed in my case. I have the aluminum end screwed all the way in and adjust as needed on the nylon 4/40 ball link. I managed to cut the CF pushrods perfect and did not have to adjust anyway.

Y N C,

Max just said some time in April. I think he is holding off on an exact date until these things hit the water.

I have the batteries installed and the CG is almost at six inches. All the batteries (three 2400 Fromecos) all located where the rudder servo is mounted. The regulators are located at the wing tube which is at 6 1/2 inches back. It should be a good place to start. Sealed all the hinge gaps with white Monocote I had laying around.

Ken

Y N C 03-07-2006 09:12 AM

Thanks Ken,

Thats not too loooong of a wait. Anybody know the wing area of this plane?

Ken-h 03-07-2006 12:14 PM

YNC,

The wing area is 1420 Sq inches. Waiting for a nice day around here to get some flights in on the plane. It's supposed to snow later this week and I hope that does not happen. Always seems to happen with a new plane.

Ken

marzo91 03-07-2006 03:18 PM

If it ends up around 17 pounds, it'll be a great flying plane, for sure.

Y N C 03-07-2006 10:47 PM

RE: New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Thanks Ken, I know what you mean with the snow. Very nice plane and please keep us inform on the flight report.

Ken-h 03-08-2006 12:44 AM

YNC,

This was by far the easiest plane I’ve put together to date. No measuring or time wasted figuring out the thrust line, centerline, or how far back to put the firewall. Just drill for your motor and epoxy it on and your done. The cowl being fixed to the fuse from the inside gives it a really clean look and no drilling required. This airplane even has throttle and or choke servos trays built in. There are really only a couple of good places to mount switches and fuel locations and it looks like that’s where Max intended them to go.

The inside of the fuselage is huge. It’s very easy to find places for all the gear and if your not using the tunnel, lots of room in there as well. The only extra hardware I had to come up with was the push rod for the throttle, fuel dot, some zip ties, fuel tubing, and the pull-pull cable. The fuel tank assembly even had all the metal tubing pre-bent, just had to screw it all together. This plane can easily be put together in a day.

I’ll try to get some more pictures posted tomorrow or the next day. It’s been a real busy week at work.

Ken

T. Bob 03-08-2006 12:50 AM

It's the prettiest 330 since Dave Patrick's.