RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Servo Extension Quality (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/4638050-servo-extension-quality.html)

Cobra1 08-18-2006 08:26 AM

Servo Extension Quality

Just a FYI - don't use cheap servo extensions!! A few years back I purchased some bulk servo extensions in various lengths. So far most of these extensions have caused problems from apparent servo failure to servos that just can't seem to stop moving when the transmitter sticks have stopped. I checked all of the "questionable" servos with good quality extensions and the problems go away. Connect the bad extension and the problem returns. There must be something in the connections that is causing the problems. These are not gold plated connectors. All of my new ones are. :D

Anyway, please use good quality extensions and save yourself some heartache.

A public service announcement from someone who really just wants to enjoy their flying time.

Tired Old Man 08-18-2006 01:27 PM

RE: Servo Extension Quality

That's why I always place my extension orders with Cermark. Plus the pricing and service is excellent.

Josey Wales 08-18-2006 03:57 PM

Radical RC is excellent as well and will make the to whatever length you want

The bird man 08-18-2006 04:30 PM

I get Cermark componants and make my own. If you do much building it iis cheep insurance.

tailskid 08-18-2006 05:58 PM

I like to stick with radio manufacturers' extensions - never had a problem with them ....... yet :)

DENNIS C 08-18-2006 06:04 PM

Thats why i make my own ;)

Tired Old Man 08-18-2006 06:13 PM

tailskid

I like to stick with radio manufacturers' extensions
Do some deep background work. You'll find that Cermark is the manufacturer for some of the name brands, including the switches. Why pay the mark up?

tailskid 08-18-2006 06:26 PM

Good point!

Cobra1 08-21-2006 06:45 AM

I wll check Cermark out. I would like making my own. Thanks for the tip.

DKjens 08-21-2006 10:52 AM

I make my own, from components purchased from Airwild.

DKjens

Josey Wales 08-21-2006 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: DKjens

I make my own, from components purchased from Airwild.

DKjens
Thats prolly the best way to go but Ive never done it and dont trust myself:D

Tired Old Man 08-21-2006 02:29 PM

They're not hard. Get the crimper. Buy the pin and plug kits and off you go.

Josey Wales 08-21-2006 03:20 PM

I was actually thinking of just splicing a wire to the servo and just cutting the plug off..this way no crimping:)

rcfury 08-21-2006 04:43 PM

That is a very good point. YOu do want to minimize the amount of connections, as every connection could lead to failure. On all my larger planes i just eliminate the connections and solder 24guage stranded wire to the end of the servo lead. So the only connection is the connection at the reciever. However, the only downfall is, if a servo does go out you gotta redo the lead.

Tired Old Man 08-21-2006 04:58 PM

Not too long ago I sent some servos with some real long leads back to JR for repairs. They had no issues with the spliced wires and returned them repaired and still having the long wires.