RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Can Futaba R149DP handle 5 5955 servo or do i need a Powerbox? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/5078974-can-futaba-r149dp-handle-5-5955-servo-do-i-need-powerbox.html)

danielwidman79 12-05-2006 04:04 PM

Can Futaba R149DP handle 5 5955 servo or do i need a Powerbox?

Can my reciver handel the power to 5 hitec 5955 or do i need a powerbox

Daniel i sweden

exeter_acres 12-05-2006 04:13 PM

RE: Can Futaba R149DP handle 5 5955 servo or do i need a Powerbox?

your RX will handle them just fine.......

Silent-AV8R 12-05-2006 05:07 PM

Yes. I have run up to 10 JR8611 and 9 Futaba 9152 servos through a single R149DP without a problem.

Jake Ruddy 12-05-2006 05:39 PM

Personally I think these powerboxes are just another unneccessary well marketed product :)

Flame away.. I know I am not the only one thinking it :D

3D Joy 12-05-2006 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: sinergy

Personally I think these powerboxes are just another unneccessary well marketed product :)

Flame away.. I know I am not the only one thinking it :D
Well I don't really agree with that but only 5 servos in a 9 channel receiver should be fine.
In my 33% setup I use 3x5955 and 4x5945 plus throttle and choke. Worked perfect since beginning 2 years ago.

Hooked-On-RC 12-05-2006 06:41 PM

Powerboxes offer far more than just current handling! Things like voltage regulation, glitch suppression or elimination, multi servo per channel functionality, trimming, servo matching, voltage monitoring as well as other stuff, all part and parcel of some of the powerboxes out there. It really comes down to comfort level and budget!

Jake Ruddy 12-05-2006 08:11 PM

it also adds another point of failure

voltage regulation ? - not really needed unless you have lipos (if you must use lipos can just buy a reg)
glitch suppression or elimination ? not really sure how - if you have a glitch there is a reason
multi servo per channel functionality, trimming, servo matching ? - matchbox / equalizer.. although personally I can do that in linkage
voltage monitoring - rather use a load meter to put a high load and get a real reading

It really comes down to comfort level and budget! - Like I said .. well marketed.. made a lot of people think they need them :)

mglavin 12-05-2006 09:44 PM

No problems with the current handling ability of the 149 RX and five high power servos.

The real problem in this case is the capability of the power source/distribution system. What type/size of batteries are proposed? Heavy duty, quality gold plated extensions, connectors and switches are a pre-requisite for digital servos. The goal is to minimize electrical losses and failure points, so accurate length extensions and leads are preferred with minimal connector counts too.

Servo interfaces and or Powerboxes serve a purpose and are a means to an end. There are distinct advantages IMO, especially when you can eliminate several ancillary devices with fail-safe modes, truly redundant isolated power routing, control signal amplification and isolation and more. Do we really need these devices, NOT. But in the scheme of things they replace multiple other devices, minimize electrical losses and provide a robust power distribution system that is second to none.

Jake Ruddy 12-05-2006 11:06 PM

Well I am sure there are cases where this would be a benefit, such as a high-end 40%er with 2 or 3 rudder servos, 6 al. servos and 4 el. servos.. or something like that sure.

However you can build NiMH battery systems that don't need any special gear and will still put up 40+ Amps if needed and only weigh 4-6 oz. more then a lipo system.

I don't mean to get the thread too far off topic... but ultimately if you don't need a power box for a 5 servo setup, the next question is surely when do you need one.

I don't know for sure (please correct me if I am wrong) but I would think if you used 2 receivers and a properly designed NiMH setup with high-end cells that had a nice low ohm rating that you would be able to build a system that was less money and was more redundant than a power expander setup?

Hooked-On-RC 12-06-2006 12:51 AM

voltage regulation ? - not really needed unless you have lipos (if you must use lipos can just buy a reg)
glitch suppression or elimination ? not really sure how - if you have a glitch there is a reason
multi servo per channel functionality, trimming, servo matching ? - matchbox / equalizer.. although personally I can do that in linkage
voltage monitoring - rather use a load meter to put a high load and get a real reading

It really comes down to comfort level and budget! - Like I said .. well marketed.. made a lot of people think they need them :)
It also eliminates a lot of points of failures such as match boxes, regulators etc. The Emcotec Unit that DA sells also does voltage regulation, has built in radio suppression filters to eliminate the need for servo chokes etc. Yes they are marketed well and used for good reason, most of the pros use them, such as Chip Hyde and several others. Do you need them in a 5 servo setup, not likley, however I run my 34% Extra with one on 2- 7.4 volt 4800 mah Lith Ion batteries and have never had an issue. Run 9 Jr 8611A servos throughout and have never had an issue. would I use one again, yes, makes for very neat wiring and a very stable voltage distribution system. If you dont want to use one then don't, but dont bad mouth them unless you have tried one!

danielwidman79 12-06-2006 08:24 AM

Thanks to everybaody!
I think i try one so i can use two lippo and have a battery switch.

exeter_acres 12-06-2006 08:27 AM

you can use 2 LiIon with 2 switch into 1 Rx no problem....

I fly a 40%er and mine is 2 batts, 2 regs into 2 Rx's and thats it.....

dlwood 12-06-2006 08:42 AM

One thought you must keep in mind, the neat little connectors used are only rated at 3 amps.

Servo current draw when stalled can approach or exceed 3 amps, and draw in excess of 1 amp during normal flight loads.

5 servos x 3 amps ea = 15 and 5x1=5

Both values are well above the rating of the single connector power into the reciever. This results in added voltage drop across the terminal connection and degraded servo performance. You paid a lot of money for top of the line servos, go the extra mile to get the performance.

22 AWG wire is marginal in my opinion for these large servos, MIL Spec is 18 AWG for 7 amps
and this gets warm to the touch in sustained operation. Under sizes wire/connections results in oversized servos to make up for electrical losses when using standard componets

I would love to see the connectors that were fine for .40 sized models brought into the 21 century where 25 to 50% models are pretty common.

Jake Ruddy 12-06-2006 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Hooked-On-RC

It also eliminates a lot of points of failures such as match boxes, regulators etc. The Emcotec Unit that DA sells also does voltage regulation, has built in radio suppression filters to eliminate the need for servo chokes etc. Yes they are marketed well and used for good reason, most of the pros use them, such as Chip Hyde and several others. Do you need them in a 5 servo setup, not likley, however I run my 34% Extra with one on 2- 7.4 volt 4800 mah Lith Ion batteries and have never had an issue. Run 9 Jr 8611A servos throughout and have never had an issue. would I use one again, yes, makes for very neat wiring and a very stable voltage distribution system. If you dont want to use one then don't, but dont bad mouth them unless you have tried one!

Well like I said I dont use matchboxes and regs.. or chokes for that matter. I did use a SmartFLy eq for awhile once until it broke in flight. From that point on I started to look at things and research things. I decided why add an unneccessay point of failure when you can spend a couple hrs working on linkage and your radio to achieve the same outcome as a matchbox or equalizer.

I hate to tell you but the "Pros" use them because they usually get them for free or little cost. That is all part of the marketing... they are also flying some of the biggest planes out there and push their planes to the limits.

"If you dont want to use one then don't, but dont bad mouth them unless you have tried one!" I am not bad mouthing them.. I am simply stating my opinion... this is a forum and that's it's purpose :eek:

If you read my previous post you will see I asked a question about a dual receiver setup vs. a power expander.

ORIGINAL: dlwood

One thought you must keep in mind, the neat little connectors used are only rated at 3 amps.

Servo current draw when stalled can approach or exceed 3 amps, and draw in excess of 1 amp during normal flight loads.

5 servos x 3 amps ea = 15 and 5x1=5

Both values are well above the rating of the single connector power into the reciever. This results in added voltage drop across the terminal connection and degraded servo performance. You paid a lot of money for top of the line servos, go the extra mile to get the performance.

22 AWG wire is marginal in my opinion for these large servos, MIL Spec is 18 AWG for 7 amps
and this gets warm to the touch in sustained operation. Under sizes wire/connections results in oversized servos to make up for electrical losses when using standard componets

I would love to see the connectors that were fine for .40 sized models brought into the 21 century where 25 to 50% models are pretty common.

I am not sure this makes sense to me.... If this were true then you wouldn't be able fly any decent sized plane (80" and larger) hard?

The reason I say this is because your battery is plugged into 1 of those channels on your reciever. So if a single connector can only handle 3 amps then the first hard flight with 5 servos could draw between 10-15 amps... where is the extra 7-12 amps coming from?

Turbobruce 12-06-2006 10:24 AM

Four 33% birds and one 35%er. No powerbox,regulators,matchbox and no problems at all. Waste of money.

danielwidman79 12-06-2006 02:27 PM

Intresting diskussion!
Does anybody know where to find servocables that dont have voltage drop?
One thing i have found is that with two batteries in the powerbox they only most take the half of the Amp.
The powerbox that i am intrested of is:

http://www.modellbau-deutsch.com/e/p...tion/start.php

mglavin 12-06-2006 02:43 PM

Wire size is generally not the culprit associated with electrical losses for our needs; 22awg is more than adequate IMO. Wire/connector quality, miss-matched connectors and connector count are the primary area of interest.

I use the exact length servo extension; this allows me to use minimum connector counts with a dedicated run to the servo interface for each and every servo.

Airwild Hobbies offers good HD stuff as do other OEM’s such as JR, Hitec and likely Futaba too. I have often used companies such as Radical RC and EMS Jomar Systems to provide custom length extension and wyes in the past with great success.

Absolut Yak 12-06-2006 03:42 PM

I run 5 x 5955's and 1 x 5925 for my throttle through my 149DP receiver. 50 flights on my AeroWorks 50cc Yak 54 QB. I use 2,400mah TBM Lion's with single, fail-safe, voltage regulating switch.

Doug

Josey Wales 12-06-2006 05:42 PM

I run 5 8611's with no problems

mglavin 12-06-2006 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: djccrn

I run 5 x 5955's and 1 x 5925 for my throttle through my 149DP receiver. 50 flights on my AeroWorks 50cc Yak 54 QB. I use 2,400mah TBM Lion's with single, fail-safe, voltage regulating switch.
Sounds like you're using a single 2400mAh battery and a fail-safe regulator? If this is the case your power supply is marginal IMO. A 7.4V 2400mAh Lithium-Ion is capable of delivering about 4.8 Amps sustained and momentary peaks to 10 Amps I suspect. The problem here is Lithium falls flat on its face if subjected to sustained high current demands. Your servo load has the potential to demand about 17 Amps during rigorous flight envelopes and or in a stalled condition for verrry short durations. If this load was to present itself severe voltage degradation is likely and you'd be in a world of hurt, especially with Hitec Programmable digitals. These servos require a minimum of 3.6V or so to remain booted up and operating. As I noted lithium batteries voltage decays at an alarming rate when exposed to high demand current loads.

A larger lithium battery (4800mAh) would be a wise investment IMO or a good old reliable 2400mAh 6.0V NiCad or even a low impedance NiMH battery will do the trick too.

RC330LXFlya 12-07-2006 11:35 PM

Im confused, if the 3-pin connectors are marginal for one servo, how am i running half my 35% plane off one (from the battery)?

Jake Ruddy 12-08-2006 12:14 AM

ORIGINAL: RC330LXFlya

Im confused, if the 3-pin connectors are marginal for one servo, how am i running half my 35% plane off one (from the battery)?

That's what I tried to point out earlier :)

The thing is if you take 2 low imdenacee NiMh packs they can handle up to 40 amps and only weigh 6 oz. more than a lipo / power expander setup.. with a lot less points of failure.

This is why I dont see the point of a power expander.... it looks like one central point of failure to me with a lot of unneccessary things added, all to make things look neat :)

mglavin 12-08-2006 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: RC330LXFlya

The loads imposed are momentary with and averaged current draw near 2 amps for your model. However as heat builds from current so does the resistance and current draw. As noted previously the current spikes are momentary too. A 14 servo 40% model will spike at 24Amps or so doing aerobatic maneuvers…

The OEM connectors are like bottlenecks or maybe a funnel; servos will consume what’s available to them, more power better performance end of story…

mglavin 12-08-2006 02:03 AM

The thing is if you take 2 low imdenacee NiMh packs they can handle up to 40 amps and only weigh 6 oz. more than a lipo / power expander setup.. with a lot less points of failure.

This is why I dont see the point of a power expander.... it looks like one central point of failure to me with a lot of unneccessary things added, all to make things look neat :)
The points of failure are identical, switches and connectors... If the switch fails on a servo interface who cares, if a power connector/lead fails who cares the model still operates without issue. If an onboard regulator/diode/switch goes south a redundant unit takes up the slack or its shut down and isolated from the latter power routing source.

Servo Interfaces send both batteries to the servo buss with short circuit protected power routing with failsafe ON operation for both battery packs and heavy duty high current plugs together with multiple servo ports which minimizes connector counts, wyes and the like… This is not plausible with your set-up without more goodies or not at all…

Furthermore some of these devices have redundant power routing, switching and provide head-room in the event of an EMI/RFI intrusion, individual servo failures are isolated from the rest of the system, servo signals are amplified and decoupled from the flight system its all good IMO… I’d worry more about a switch or connector failing, a battery and or wiring short taking out the power system or even a battery failure long before a servo interface failure, but that’s me.

According to the manufacturer of one the major players in Servo Interfaces a single documented failure has yet to be realized., go figure five years later and like the Eveready bunny there still going strong.

On the other hand I understand your apprehension too. These devices are certainly more sophisticated than a simple switch(es) and multiple connectors.

Flyfalcons 12-08-2006 07:39 AM

Don't drink the powerbox kool aid.