RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   AirWild 29% Edge 540T has arrived! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/5088668-airwild-29%25-edge-540t-has-arrived.html)

JerryBien 12-07-2006 09:29 PM

AirWild 29% Edge 540T has arrived!

Just thought those of you who are in search for a good 50cc-class giant-scale airplane might be interested to know. Our latest model, 29% Edge 540T has arrived! This is the 2nd offering in our 50cc line-up. Specifications are as follow;

Wing Span: 87 in. ( 2210 mm )
Fuse Length: 78 in. ( 1981 mm )
Wing Area: 1,370.5 sq. in. ( 0.9 sq. m )
Approx. Weight: 14.90 lbs. (DA50-R)*
Recommended Engine: DA-50R

Some of you guys in the community here may be very familiar with our first 50cc model, 29% Extra 260. But for those who are not familiar with us or our airplanes, do a search under "AirWild" and you will find some useful user feedbacks regarding build quality and flight characteristics of our 50cc planes. As we internally call it, this is our winning edge!

Price is $575.00 and at this time we are offering a holiday special where you will receive a $50 cash bonus toward purchasing of AirWild brand-name accessories. For more information on both the 29% Edge 540T and the $50 cash bonus, please visit [link=http://airwildhobbies.com/MoreInfo.asp?title=product&level=2&id=46]AirWild 29% Edge 540T [/link]

Thanks and happy holidays!

Jerry Bien
AirWild

Jake Ruddy 12-08-2006 12:16 AM

RE: AirWild 29% Edge 540T has arrived!

NOt to be smart... but I am just curious here.. the length is exactly the same as the 260... did you just switch the wings or what?

Barry Cazier 12-08-2006 01:08 AM

:)JerryBien...

This is a great looking airplane. I love the video.

Question? When will the manual be available on line?

Do you estimate the weight to be accurate? Under 15lbs?

Thanks
Barry

JerryBien 12-08-2006 01:40 AM

ORIGINAL: sinergy

NOt to be smart... but I am just curious here.. the length is exactly the same as the 260... did you just switch the wings or what?
The two models are intentionally designed to the same specifications so we do not have to re-engineer a well proven design; light weight but strong.

Jerry Bien
AirWild

JerryBien 12-08-2006 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

This is a great looking airplane. I love the video.

Question? When will the manual be available on line?

Do you estimate the weight to be accurate? Under 15lbs?

Thanks
Barry
Barry,

We are in the process of review the fnal draft of manual right now. We hope to have it available for download by 12/11 also. Since you have already built our Extra 260, building the Edge will be a walk in the park for you. Manual is essentially in the same format as the Extra.

Accuracy of the finished weight is as close as the Extra. The 14.9 lbs. dry weight is based on components listed on our website. Between the Edge and Extra, spinner is the only difference in accessory required. Extra requires a 4" style and Edge calls for a 3.5" ultimate style instead. Although the prototype weighed in with an aluminum spinner (solid back plate), we are now working on a very light weight composite spinner to furher reduce the final weight. We are also looking at doing CF wing tube, stab tube and landing gear as so many of you have asked for them.

Regards,
Jerry Bien
AirWild

Barry Cazier 12-08-2006 12:26 PM

Thanks for the info.

Is there any reason you just couldn't use the smaller spinner?
Also, if you ever have available the carbon fiber wing tubes I want one. That would be a good modification. The carbon fiber landing gear I don't think is a good idea. I like the aluminum better. Every carbon fiber gear I've seen breaks on landing sometime. Even pilots like Chip Hyde and Mike McConlley say they repair their carbon fiber gear all the time. If they can't land his planes good enough to keep from breaking the gear, there is no way I can. And the two planes I had carbon fiber gear on both broke after a while.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this plane. Sounds like fun.

Thanks
Barry

bigal422 12-12-2006 09:40 AM

I'm going to have one of these. This is the best looking 50cc edge on the market right now. IMO. Going to pull the trigger this week.

GuyIncognito 12-12-2006 10:12 PM

Sorry but the price for this plane seems to be $429 on your web site, not $575. Your site seems to be a little confusing with all the numbers being thrown around. I'm seriously considering buying but will wait on some clarification and maybe more info. Is it 84" or 89" ? Which plane is this???????

bigal422 12-12-2006 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: GuyIncognito

Sorry but the price for this plane seems to be $429 on your web site, not $575. Your site seems to be a little confusing with all the numbers being thrown around. I'm seriously considering buying but will wait on some clarification and maybe more info. Is it 84" or 89" ? Which plane is this???????
I think you are confused about what plane we are talking about. We are talking about an AIRWILD not a WILD HARE.

bigal422 12-13-2006 08:18 PM

Has any one received one of these yet. Would love to see pics.

JerryBien 12-14-2006 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Thanks for the info.

Is there any reason you just couldn't use the smaller spinner?
Also, if you ever have available the carbon fiber wing tubes I want one. That would be a good modification. The carbon fiber landing gear I don't think is a good idea. I like the aluminum better. Every carbon fiber gear I've seen breaks on landing sometime. Even pilots like Chip Hyde and Mike McConlley say they repair their carbon fiber gear all the time. If they can't land his planes good enough to keep from breaking the gear, there is no way I can. And the two planes I had carbon fiber gear on both broke after a while.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this plane. Sounds like fun.

Thanks
Barry
Barry,

The correct size of spinner is dictated by the cowl. However if you don't mind the look, you can use any spinner you want :D

Personally I don't really like CF wing tube. When it does fail, the fiber disintegrated completely and most likely the tube would simply break aprat in flight causing you to loose the wing completely. If an aluminum wing tube fails, it gives out signs like bending. You have a better chanc of recognizing that and immediately land your plane to safety as opposed to just suddenly loose the wing in flight. That said, we are indeed looking into providing CF tubes as we have gotten so many calls for them. Will keep everyone up to date on progress.

BTW the manual is finally online now for download. Have fun!

Jerry Bien
AirWild Hobbies
www.airwildhobbies.com
www.airwildpilotshop.com

bigal422 12-19-2006 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: bigal422

Has any one received one of these yet. Would love to see pics.
I received the manual today. UPS says mine will be here tomorrow. I guess I will have to post my own pics. Doesn't look like anyone else is going to post theirs.

bigal422 12-20-2006 02:00 PM

Just unpacked the EDGE 540. This is one fine piece of work. Not a dent, scratch, nothing. The covering is outstanding. Can't wait to start the build on this one.

757Driver 12-21-2006 12:12 AM

Hi Jerry, PLEASE make the next order in all white MONOKOTE for both airframes.

Guys,,,the CF wing tubes are already available from Taiwan, check my build thread on the 260 or check the buy and sell listings. No stab tube is available yet.

Alum gear is the only way to fly!

I want some smaller CF wheel pants!

JerryBien 12-21-2006 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: 757Driver

Guys,,,the CF wing tubes are already available from Taiwan, check my build thread on the 260 or check the buy and sell listings. No stab tube is available yet.

Jason,

An all white version ? .......... We did think of that before BUT just how many of you would want an all white if the price difference is only a saving of a few dollars? Since the question has been raised to the group, I am most interested in hearing from you all. How about an ARC version? Any interest?

Jerry Bien
AirWild

Tired Old Man 12-21-2006 02:47 AM

Jerry,

With all due respect, an aluminum tube will deform under load a very long time before an accurately constructed carbon fiber wing tube will break. Yes, carbon fiber tubes will snap, but likely long before that the horizontal stabs pulled apart under the load so the plane crashed anyway. When an aluminum tube bends it often makes the removal of a wing panel quite difficult. The owner can be anticipated to break something in the effort required to remove the panel from the tube. Another caveat with the aluminum tubes is that there is long standing proof that the Chinese and other eastern manufacturers fail to provide the correct type of aluminum for the tubes, and usually substitute inferior quality material to shave production costs, facilitating early tube failure. The material for aluminum tubes is usually specified by the distributor/designer, but they get short changed by the manfacturer. Not the distributors fault by any means. That's why I prefer the carbon tubes. Stronger, stiffer, and lighter when made properly.

bigal422 12-21-2006 02:57 AM

For those of you that have not seen the edge 540 in person. It looks awesome. I would have bought the origianal sceme even if an all white version had been avalible.

ORIGINAL: JerryBien

ORIGINAL: 757Driver

Jason,

An all white version ? .......... We did think of that before BUT just how many of you would want an all white if the price difference is only a saving of a few dollars? Since the question has been raised to the group, I am most interested in hearing from you all. How about an ARC version? Any interest?

Jerry Bien
AirWild

Josey Wales 12-21-2006 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: JerryBien

Jerry Bien
AirWild

Although I havent decided on my next 50cc, this is one of them Im considering, an all white plane would definitely appeal to me..An ARC version I could take or leave but all white would be a big plus

Barry Cazier 12-21-2006 10:44 AM

:)For me an all white version isn't something I would buy. I'd get the ready made one every time. ARC wouldn't appeal to me either. I like the ARFs. Just enough time to build to keep me interested buy not so long to bore me. I'm an ARF kinda guy.

Thanks
Barry

cadconversions 12-21-2006 02:07 PM

We need pics!!!! Been looking at this one for a while too. Too many plans and not enough time / money.... :(

cadconversions 12-21-2006 02:08 PM

BTw, I can't get the link to the manual to do anything. Anyone else have any problems with it?

www. airwildhobbies.com

JerryBien 12-21-2006 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

BTw, I can't get the link to the manual to do anything. Anyone else have any problems with it?

www. airwildhobbies.com
Does your browser have pop-up blocker enabled? If so, set it to allow pop-ups from www.airwildhobbies.com.

Jerry Bien
AirWild

cadconversions 12-21-2006 02:21 PM

Pop up blocker is by-passed for your site (I visit a lot!) but I get nothing when I click on the "download" button.

bigal422 12-21-2006 02:42 PM

I'll try to post some pics in the next day or two. I got it out when it came for inspection but the wife had the camera with her. It's back in the box now as I have an AM 30% yak on the table I'm building for someone. The plane is awsome. For all out there complaining about the paint not matching on the extra 260. Buy the EDGE it matches perfect. I just went to Airwilds web sight and the manuel down loaded just fine.

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

We need pics!!!! Been looking at this one for a while too. Too many plans and not enough time / money.... :(

Barry Cazier 12-21-2006 05:20 PM

:)You're really gonna make us wait two days!?!?!? We are anxious to see pictures of the real thing. I'm especially interested in the elevators. Are they counterbalanced? Big?

I just downloaded and printed the manual. Worked fine for me.

thanks
Barry