RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/5452111-extreme-flight-88%22-yak-build-fly.html)

Yak Man 02-24-2007 11:55 AM

RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Headed to the LHS to p/up a steering arm and a few extras, looks like a short piece of nyrod and operate the choke from the front of the cowl. Similar to the original 87" KISS choke. Any idea about the nipples on Scotts' muffler and the plugged one in the back of the crankcase? Smoke?

Josey Wales 02-24-2007 11:58 AM

The plugged one on the backplate is if you want to run smoke..the one on the diaphragm cover plate is if you want to run a static line into the fuse..

jrjohn 02-24-2007 12:03 PM

Just finished 1/2 my hinges, used pacer hinge glue. Water cleanup, no mixing, no oozing, no babysitting. Never had one fail yet. Super easy and clean.

Dave, looking at your pictures, I wonder if longer standoffs would be in order.

just say NO to monkey glue

John

Maudib 02-24-2007 12:13 PM

JR John... you probably are wondering based on prop efficiency?

I certainly don't think more would hurt if someone wanted to go out another 1/2 or so...

On the 87" I went out further to make sure balance would not be an issue... but Chris says balance is not an issue here...

I did think that if someone wanted to do tail mounted servo... that the extra bit of the engine out would help offset that tail weight.

But I'm going to fly it as it is.

On the Brillelli 60... the plug cap is JUST touching the cowl... will epoxy a 1/8" pad of neoprene under it to prevent rattle and not have to make a little hole in the cowl there.

I can always add 1/2" blocks below the standoffs should I want to try it... but at this point I'm not going to second guess Chris on it...

But once any of us pay for the plane it's ours.. and we should feel free to do whatever we want to...

jrjohn 02-24-2007 12:18 PM

Dave, your right, it's eficency that I'm thinking about. I wonder if the DA 50 sticks any further out? If Da makes 2 3/4 standoffs, I'd probably start with them. Or even 3''

John

Yak Man 02-24-2007 12:25 PM

Manual arrived in the mail today, so plane should follow Monday.
Weighed stock Brillelli muffler 5.4 oz, definitely not the 3.1 oz lite vesion. Might go with the Stock DA muffler to save an oz and only have one exhaust hole thru cowl.

krayzc-RCU 02-24-2007 12:26 PM

so the finished product comes in around what weight?

MustangAce 02-24-2007 12:36 PM

What was the total weight Maudib??

thomasf 02-24-2007 12:37 PM

Hey Maudib, Could one get away with running 1.25" servoarms on the elevator and ailerons? Thats what I have laying around, I also have a 2.75 staight arm for the rudder. Not enough HUH?
Trying to get everything needed for the plane so when it shows up (second shippment), I'll be ready.[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Maudib 02-24-2007 01:08 PM

I'm close but not quite ready to weigh.... later today for sure...

Thomas,

You COULD get by with 1.25 arms... just won't get all the throw... but quite a bit... in the long run you'd want to replace them out with th 1.5" though...

You pretty much HAVE to have the 4" offset arm to get proper gemotery and no slack in the cables... or fabricate one...

Maudib 02-24-2007 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Choke rod:

a segment of 2/56 all-thread
cut about 3/8" off the end of a 2/56 balllink
a segment of shrink tube
a plastic clevis
a grommet from Lowe's

EAGLE PILOT 02-24-2007 01:52 PM

As soon as I get some time tonite or tommorrow I'm going to mount this new 366GT that my favorite mail-lady just delivered! Man, this motor is a really nice piece of work! I appreciate when people like Scott and Chris take such pride in their work.

About a week ago I e-mailed Karl Mueller at Mueller Custom headers about him making an aluminum header for the 366GT. He has made one for the Brillelli 25cc but not the 60. His work can be viewed thru AeroBob's site. The price for Karl's header is $48.00 plus $8.00S&H. The aluminum header will be lighter than SS. I don't know how much. Karl can be contacted at [email protected] and all he needs are all pertinent dimensions: Exhaust flange, radius, drop and motor thrust angles and he can get started. If anyone is interested please PM me and "we" can take these measurements and agree that they are correct before sending them to Karl. Thanks, Nico

juanvaldes_04 02-24-2007 01:56 PM

Maudib, first of all THANKS for this GREAT build thread !!!!

Was wondering if your Ignition battery is a 4 cell AA pack..

Maudib 02-24-2007 02:05 PM

Thank... and you are welcome...

It's a 4 cell AAA 730 nimh... 1.9 oz

Made from Sanyo 4H-730AAA cells... Maxx Products has them (out of stock right now)

When the next gen Roy Sholl's come out they will accept a 2 cell lipo/lion... and I may switch to a 2 cell lion/lipo

thomasf 02-24-2007 02:21 PM

Thanks Maudib, Making my list for Troy Built. I to would like to get the motor out farther then what you have pictured. I'm going to use a DA 50. I wonder what the gap is like with the 2.5 standoffs?

Maudib 02-24-2007 02:31 PM

Yehaw!!!!!! Wahoooooooo! OH YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!

I just put it all together, dropped a 4800 lion pack in there, the spinner cone (CF) and the throttle servo... BUT forgot the 4.1 oz DA stock muffler and the SmartFLy Reg with failsafe switch...

16.5 lbs!

Add the 4.1 oz for muffler, 1 oz for the reg and switch and 1 oz for velcro mounting the battery and throttle linkage and I got myself a 16.9 lb bird!!!!!!

Just about what I was expecting with 10.38 out of box.

I can't TELL you how excited I am with that weight... a DA50 and stock muffler will end up a tad over 16.5 lbs!

Both of which are gonna be AWESOME power to weight....

Again, I build light, and am choosey with what I put in... But I shared ALL my build... techniques and items selected... nothing anal here.

So Chris' 18.5 lbs is well... let's just say on the TOP end... ;)

Remember mine does NOT have the spats, gear fairings or faux louvers... and I used 3.5" foam wheels (1.9 oz I think it was)...

I am SOOOOO pumped.

If you were to use that 6.5 oz gear JR John has brought to our attention, a 2 cell 2100 lipo on the receiver, DA50 with stock muffler and maybe went with the titanium axles... you'd be at 15.75 lbs DRY....

ANd olny a hair over 16 lbs witht he Brillelli 60.......

WoooooooooHoooooooo!!!!!

jrjohn 02-24-2007 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: thomasf

Thanks Maudib, Making my list for Troy Built. I to would like to get the motor out farther then what you have pictured. I'm going to use a DA 50. I wonder what the gap is like with the 2.5 standoffs?
I'm with you on that one.

john

Maudib 02-24-2007 02:36 PM

Same distance... the 60 and 50 are the same distance with stock standoffs...

I'd go ahead and get the 3" standoffs... it won't hurt a thing.

diamondave 02-24-2007 02:41 PM

excellent wieght!!!!!!!!

dbrford 02-24-2007 02:50 PM

Amazing weight for this size airplane. Looking at pics the fuse looks almost as long as my qq102. Looks like the items you left off are around 5oz or so, does that sound right? Getting real excited to put this one together.

Absolut Yak 02-24-2007 03:05 PM

I'm going to hijack the thread for a moment, but you guys have more info than anyone I can think of. I did post on the gas engine forum. How many turns do I need on my high and low speed needles on my DA 50? I'm really having problems starting mine. I was going to do a thrust measurement today at the field so I could decide to use the DA 50 with Vess 23A on the new Yak or go with the Brillelli.

Doug

Maudib 02-24-2007 03:09 PM

STart at 1.5 turns out on BOTH... that should get you started...

Is the engine in a plane? Newly plumbed? Sometimes it can be a bear to initally get fuel to the carb... especially if the run is long...

EAGLE PILOT 02-24-2007 03:31 PM

Congrads Maudib! And thanks for all the tips and ideas. I don't get to build many airplanes so I am going to take my time and really enjoy building this one! :)

TailTouch 02-24-2007 03:46 PM

16.9 lbs !!!
Man that is heavy...very heavy for bird that almost presents like a 33% bird.

Will this have enough vertical ?

I can already see the plane losing speed in a vertical pullout because of the drag...

I don't know what's wrong with you EF fan club...

:D :D :D :D :D

cadconversions 02-24-2007 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: TailTouch

16.9 lbs !!!
Man that is heavy...very heavy for bird that almost presents like a 33% bird.

Will this have enough vertical ?

I can already see the plane losing speed in a vertical pullout because of the drag...

I don't know what's wrong with you EF fan club...

:D :D :D :D :D

I'm glad you put all of the smiley's on there or someone would have about killed ya over tha comment... [:-] :D :)