RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/5452111-extreme-flight-88%22-yak-build-fly.html)

Josey Wales 03-21-2007 07:32 PM

RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

You may be right on that..[8D]

CHM 03-21-2007 07:34 PM

17 pounds even.

Are you all using the stock hinge points or Robarts?

diamondave 03-21-2007 07:36 PM

any other flight reports?i was off for a while during our move, saw the vids on ef site, saw and heard dave's vid and report, looks like an awesome set up, just wondering if anyone else flew yet, i will order one soon, i have to wait until may now for a y/black:(, but i am sold on the 60 set up, ...btw, anyone who cares, i did see a difference in flying at my new alt-2100 verses 5000, flew my plane yesterday for the 1st time, adjusted the carb and was impressed, power seemed a little different, but i notice more of a change in flying, moves were easier to correct, didnt fall out or tq/rolls hardly at all, and flew away no matter what attitude, i was used to dropping some 1st, then landings were flaoting by, this new alt is making me look better:), flew 3 times and love it, cant wait to fly more, and get this yak:)

Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway 03-21-2007 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got them from Aviation Models for my 33% Yak. The weight is 6.5 oz.

One thing you should know is that the rake (forward sweep) is abut 1 1/4 inch less than the EF metal gear. Also they are about 1 1/2 inches less tall. Still have tons of clearance with a 23 inch prop though.

What I will find out is how the gear handles with the lower rake forward on taxi and roll out. This puts the axles about 1 1/2 inches behind the leading edge of the wing.

Josey Wales 03-21-2007 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: rdb127

One thing you should know is that the rake (forward sweep) is abut 1 1/4 inch less than the EF metal gear. Also they are about 1 1/2 inches less tall. Still have tons of clearance with a 23 inch prop though.

What I will find out is how the gear handles with the lower rake forward on taxi and roll out. This puts the axles about 1 1/2 inches behind the leading edge of the wing.
Hmm thats a good bit of information..hopefully with the axles being further back it wont cause it to nose over easily...

krayzc-RCU 03-21-2007 07:51 PM

17-18.985 lbs ;)

Josey Wales 03-21-2007 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

17-18.985 lbs ;)
:)

Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway 03-21-2007 08:01 PM

Ok guys. This is a prelim only.............no flaming please.;)

Since the plane needs to be finished I will report what I got you before dark. I will gladly correct anything that I find to be not accurate. Somebody pinch me I think I am dreaming. I have no parts left to put in this thing. Once I get this stuff balanced it WILL fly as stated.

I ran the plane with wings on and Bennet muffler. Then I shut her down, de fueled and took off the muffler. On a digital postal scale that reads in 1/4 oz increments (Sunbeam-Capacity 10 lbs)

Header and pipe with hardware 11 oz
Engine Box lid (not yet installed) .75 oz
Cowl 11 oz
Right Main Gear 5 lb 15 oz
Left Main Gear 6 lbs 2 oz
Tail Gear 2 lb 11 oz

This was with the plane assembled with canopy and wings after the run in with all batteries. Once I do my W&B there will be nothing to add.

Who wants to guess now?

Yak Man 03-21-2007 08:09 PM

RC Supergear should have available a new set for the 88" in about a week. Undrilled and about an 1" taller than stock, that way you can drill and adjust to height. Non-Laminated, should have a weight within the week, around $85.
http://www.rcsupergear.com/

Josey Wales 03-21-2007 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

I have been using single fromeco 2400s with no problem, with 5955s all the way around, 7-8 10 minute flights no prob.
Im not too concerned with the capacity..mostly the current draw using all 5955's..

Josey Wales 03-21-2007 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Yak Man

RC Supergear should have available a new set for the 88" in about a week. Undrilled and about an 1" taller than stock, that way you can drill and adjust to height. Non-Laminated, should have a weight within the week, around $85.
I can wait a week! thanks for the tip! How do you adjust the height ?

CHM 03-21-2007 08:13 PM

I'm closest at 17 pounds even. :)

Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway 03-21-2007 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: CHM

I'm closest at 17 pounds even. :)
I made shure I put those clamps on the scale too![8D].

Back to work.

Richard

Yak Man 03-21-2007 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Yak Man

I can wait a week! thanks for the tip! How do you adjust the height ?
http://www.rcsupergear.com/index.php?pg=faq
#3 Drill & Cut off excess - 1" to 2 1/2"

Josey Wales 03-21-2007 08:26 PM

Ah ha! Hopefully it will be the same weight as the SD gear

Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway 03-21-2007 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: CHM

17 pounds even.

Are you all using the stock hinge points or Robarts?
Stock Hinge points. 30 min epoxy.

Maudib 03-21-2007 08:56 PM

Not even close.... unfortunately... when I originally looked at SuperGear, they were running about the same weight as Graphtec gear... So I'd guess around the 12 oz mark... my QQ 102" gear is almost identical to teh 88" Yak and I suppose that's what they are selling for the 88"...

Mine are 10.6 oz

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

Ah ha! Hopefully it will be the same weight as the SD gear

Josey Wales 03-21-2007 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Not even close.... unfortunately... when I originally looked at SuperGear, they were running about the same weight as Graphtec gear... So I'd guess around the 12 oz mark... my QQ 102" gear is almost identical to teh 88" Yak and I suppose that's what they are selling for the 88"...

Mine are 10.6 oz

You think the wheels being further back on the SD gear will present any issues with nose-over's ?

Rockyaged 03-21-2007 09:02 PM

Josey...
Using a single 2600 Mah Fromeco (new) is my plan. Remember to charge it slowly as the
directions advise. And let us know how you did with that on here.. Thanks for bringing it up.

Gerald

Josey Wales 03-21-2007 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Rockyaged

Josey...
Using a single 2600 Mah Fromeco (new) is my plan. Remember to charge it slowly as the
directions advise. And let us know how you did with that on here.. Thanks for bringing it up.

Gerald

Im going to speak with Kurt first regarding the amp draw..I spoke to him a few years ago about the 2400 relions and using all 8611's and he said I would be really pushing the packs to the extreme and said the 4800 would be a better choice..I thinking he will have the same advice with the 2600's

krayzc-RCU 03-21-2007 09:38 PM

yeah pick up those extra 3.3 oz and plenty of power to run those big servos i run the smaller pack on the ignition and fun flies birds

Scott Ellingson 03-21-2007 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some good scale Yak 54 pics. It gives a good idea of what spinner they actually run on them. Plus just the overall detail.

I am starting to think a nice 3 blade Mejzlik would look good.

SoCalSal 03-22-2007 04:29 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Rockyaged

Josey...

Gerald

Im going to speak with Kurt first regarding the amp draw..I spoke to him a few years ago about the 2400 relions and using all 8611's and he said I would be really pushing the packs to the extreme and said the 4800 would be a better choice..I thinking he will have the same advice with the 2600's
[/quot

I have been useing a pair of LiPoli's rated at 1500 mah each for 5 5955's The Lipoli's are a different animal for Liion's they are about the same as 2900man nicads at 8oz each including the built in charger. I got mine from Aircrafte International. They are for the PowerBox system. I have used these for the last year on my 33% Waco at 46lbs RTF and have never even come close to running out of juice. But they do make a bigger (2900) for those of you who like that size.
Now I just posted this info FYI I'm not trying to or will I engage a "what is the best battery" debate.

Maudib 03-22-2007 08:24 AM

The gear shouldbe fine and not cause nose over at all...

A single 2600 is being used at it's higher end of capacity (2.5c max)... and while it's probably fine... I prefer not press the most crucial link in my aircraft to the limits

A 4800/5200 pack offers internal redundancy (2 x 2800 packs) if a cell drops... you still have a pair working...

jrjohn 03-22-2007 09:39 AM