RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   giant sweet & low stick (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/627872-giant-sweet-low-stick.html)

harman 03-16-2003 04:59 PM

giant sweet & low stick

I have a midwest giant sweet & low stick 84 in span. It has full span strip alerions. My question is can I cut the alerions down to about half and use the rest for flaps?

flicka5 03-16-2003 11:45 PM

Flaperons

Better to program the existing ailerons as flaperons as you will lose a lot of your roll capability by splitting each aileron in half.
Best of both worlds.

lynngordon 03-17-2003 01:35 AM

giant sweet & low stick

Harmon,

Yes - just what you suggest would be easy to do.

For some real fun with your Giant Sweet 'n Low, cut the ailerons in half, mount 4 servo's (2 for flaps, 2 for ailerons) and use your computer radio to have flaps, crow and coupled ailerons/flaps. Same programming as used on the Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60 and 120.

If you don't have enough hinges on each half, then cut the whole aileron off, cut it in half and re-hinge.

Lynn

harman 03-17-2003 09:30 PM

giant sweet & low stick

I haven't started to build yet but that is the ideas I had thought about. I thought that it might be a good heavy plane to learn about flaps and gas engines. Then I could move into a giant warbird maybe. thanks

macmaster77 03-24-2003 09:36 PM

giant sweet & low stick

I have had mine for 12 years. One sugesstion, make sure that you have a big enough engine to do the job. I just ordered a DA-50 to put in mine. I had a SuperTigre 3000 and a O.S. BGX-3500 and it just wasen't enough power. Good luck with it. It is a great flying airplane.

harman 03-24-2003 11:47 PM

giant sweet & low stick

i have a zenoah 35 to put in it. I fly tf at-6 and tf gold corsair now. This size plane will be a new thrill. Thanks to all for your input .

AmishWarlord 06-14-2003 01:12 PM

giant sweet & low stick

I had a Zen G-45 on mine and all the little trainers where flying rings around me.

Mr Hackney UK 01-27-2006 11:22 AM

RE: giant sweet & low stick

Hey does anyone have a set of plans for a midwest giant sweet & low stick ?
Thanks

Cobra1 01-27-2006 01:21 PM

I have the complete set. It will take a long tube to send them in unless you don't mind them being folded. They are yours for the shipping cost. PM me.

Johng 01-27-2006 02:39 PM

Since you haven't started building, go ahead and make the ailerons & flaps 1.5 - 2x the chord shown on the plans. Then you can split them for flaps & ailerons with no worries about aileron authority. This is how I modded an 80" Stinger, that and oversize tail surfaces and a Brison 3.2.

THe various mixing schemes reviewed above work well on this type of wing too.

sinoker 03-18-2007 08:05 PM

Help, I purchased a Midwest Giant Sweet & Low at a grage sale. Complete kit except the sheet with the fuselauge lay was missing.
Both wing panels and the text instructions were there. So does anybody have a set of plans for sale, or can anybody make a copy the the missing sheet. Contact Winston at [email protected]