RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   OMP Hybrid Edge 540 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/7372055-omp-hybrid-edge-540-build.html)

craigteffe 02-15-2009 04:52 PM

RE: OMP Hybrid Edge 540 Build

ORIGINAL: Rons16

Sorry to fill up this site with all my goofs. I guess after 3 months of building, I got anxious to get it done and started rushing the covering job. I learned a big lesson, slow down and do it right, especially with the covering job. I redid the wing, taking my time, using lessons learned and it turned out much better.
Looking good, just got back from the field with mine and i doo love this plane. Can't wait for you guys to get yours done and see how you all like them.

craigteffe 02-22-2009 07:56 PM

So you guys about got the planes done?

fritzdecat 02-22-2009 08:52 PM

more pictures :D

Rons16 02-22-2009 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got everything done but the engine, prop and spinner. My 28% Edge with my DL50 is still flying well, so I will have to wait 2 weeks to get another DL50. (That's when the my banker ((the boss)) says it will work for our budget. I haven't mounted the batteries yet either, I want to wait for balancing. Here's a pix from a few days ago. Just getting things lined up for trimming.

I'm glad you like your Hybrid so well - makes me anxious to get mine in the air!!!!

Rons16 02-22-2009 11:12 PM

Forgot - one more thing - What the latest, best price on a DL50. The best I've seen is $ 319.95 with 27.97 shipping ($347.92 Total) from Hobby City. I like VallyviewRC.com but they are $369.00 free shipping. They have pre-drilled aluminum spinners and props at reasonable prices.

RJetss 02-23-2009 09:27 AM

Sup guys, Craig in responce to your last message.......I'm waiting on a tax refund to sponsor the rest of my project. Weather here hasn't been that great yet anyways. I will keep you all posted for sure. I did have the rest of my decals cut for me. They look great. Craig I will PM you soon on some motor questions. O by the way.......Looks nice Ron. keep me posted so as I know your CG and weight. Get some inside pictures of your servo, fuel tank and battery setups.

Rons16 02-24-2009 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now it's just the guts and she's ready. Painting the wheel pants in this cool weather wasn't much fun. Going to get the bottom wing decals Thursday. All, but the rudder, servos are mounted and this baby does have some control surface travel.

craigteffe 02-24-2009 08:43 PM

Ron,
Why did you not finish the bottom front of the plane?

I think you may have a slight problem witch is vibration and air flow causing the sides to flex. If you did not plan on doing it you may want to consider finishing the bottom as the plans indicate.

Rons16 02-24-2009 10:46 PM

I want to get the engine mounted and the choke hooked up before I finish the bottom. I have the 1/4 square balsa and the sheeting already fitted. I just thought it might be eaiser to get at everything this way. Thanks for the heads up!!!!

Rons16 02-27-2009 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the trim on the bottom of the wings today, my vinyl guy does great work. I hate to use outside talent on my planes, but he does such a good job for me, I always use him. He's retired and it's nice to support him. I ordered the engine and spinner today, so this bird should be in the air in two weeks. I will probably break the engine in for 3 hours on the ground first. That's what I did with my other DL50 and it runs GREAT!!!!

AirTramp 03-07-2009 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Craig,
I've been following your post since your first post in the Profile section. I have found them to be helpfull as I am now in the process of building mine. I am building it with the goal to be as light as possible. I have already purchased carbon fiber wing tube and landing gear as well as lightening up the back end where ever possible. I am currently building the hatch and I haven't set the firewall yet. Waiting to check the CG before I do that. Here are some photos of what I have so far. The weight so as it sits on the table is a little over 5 lbs. Right at 5.5 lbs with the firewall added. I have a build thread in the Build Section of our club web site, [link=http://www.qcrcc.com/qcrcc/forum/default.asp]QCRCC[/link]. If you have time take a look over there and let me know if you see any issues before I start covering.
Thanks to all who have shared their projects in this post.
Dave

Edited 3/10 to add hyper link QCRCC

craigteffe 03-08-2009 08:36 AM

Let us know how everything turns out. Keep post here on this web site also it gives others some ideas for thier builds.

It looks like you have cut the front of the engine box off. it will be interesting to see how the ballance comes out le us know.

Keep posting the pictures.

A few of the guys from my club is going to Joe Nall this year and camping out and flying on the 3d site if your there look me up.

A friend of mine built my hybrid kit that i had bought to copy the fuse parts off of. Now he said he is done and i have another Hybrid to cover. I am hoping to have one asw a back up if i can keep this one long enough.

AirTramp 03-08-2009 09:29 AM

Yea, I cut the front of the fuse off one inch in front of where the firewall was originally located. I have placed all three servos for the elevators and rudder under the stabilizer and I moved the firewall forward one inch to compensate for the third servo in the tail. I also widened the fuse to give me a little more room to install wing bolts and keep from cutting holes in the fuse for clearance for the muffler. When I moved the engine forward I knew that it would stick out the front of the fuse too far and look awkward. So after I have the firewall set in place I'll check the CG and if necessary I'll cut a set of stand-off that will allow for the correct CG. After the engine location has been established I'll build a removable cowl to keep the outlines looking like it came that way and make engine installation a breese. It has been a fun build so far but it has definitely been kit bashed.

fritzdecat 03-08-2009 10:09 AM

Nice job AirTramp

Look forward to hearing how yours does on the maiden trip. I like the look.

Rons16 03-08-2009 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, it's finally done - just have to put in the last 4200 NMH to balance her out. I will start breaking the engine in tomorrow, and then hope to fly it next weekend - weather permitting. Its really been windy lately. Hope to get to Joe Nall this year, but not sure yet. It will be cool to see the event - never been there. Here are some pictures.

AirTramp 03-10-2009 08:13 PM

Sometimes it takes me a couple of tries to get computers to do what I want them to do. This time I think I have the Hyper Link working to our web site [link=http://www.qcrcc.com/qcrcc/forum/default.asp]QCRCC[/link]. Sorry that I didn't catch it sooner.
Dave
P. S. Craig, I haven't been to Joe Nall and I don't think that I will be going this year either. I have been to the Extreme Aerobatic Club fly-in in Chattanooga. If you attend the EAC event this year I would enjoy meeting you and your gang.

RJetss 03-22-2009 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I been pretty busy at work. That's a good thing though. I have got to hook my smart fly system and run a few wires yet, but the build itself is complete. I know Craig has been wondering. I went with the new DLE 55 on this one now.

Rons16 03-22-2009 08:45 PM

I flew mine today for the first time - got 5 flights in....... What a great plane. Mine may be a touch tail heavy, but other the inverted flight, it's great!!!

craigteffe 03-22-2009 09:06 PM

Glad to hear you guys flying these things. How did she land for you Ron? Mine climbs ever so slightly when inverted.

I got 4 flights on mine today.

A friend of mine built my other hybrid kit and he just told me he was done, now i have to order some covering for the backup plane.

Rons16 03-23-2009 07:17 AM

It lands at a snails pace. It was a little windy which helped, but I didn't have to give it any down elevator and it did not balloon on landing. With it flying as well as it does, I think I'll leave the CG right where it is. I'm still working on a harrier as any throttle at all gets the nose high fast. It'll just take a little practice. Does GREAT rolling circles. Ease off of the throttle a little out of a torque roll and it slides straight down backwards. Without any engine offset and a little throttle to rudder mix, it climbs and holds perfectly. Overall, I already know this will be my favorite. I will problably start a backup plane this fall. Hopefully I won't destroy it this summer, but it flys so well, I'm sure it will be close to the ground often. The DL50 hauls!!!

AirTramp 03-23-2009 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Ron or Craig,
You have posted that your planes is a little tail heavy. Do you have the plane balanced at the CG mark shown on the plans or are you behind that? I am about to set the engine on mine and that info would help me out as I am using the engine placement to balance the plane before covering. After I get it covered I'm going to use the battery to dial it in.
Here is the latest picture of the fuse. It's coming along nicely. I still have to build the cowling but I think that I can get the fuse completed in less than three pounds. The calculator says the finish weight will be in the mid fourteen pound range. Time will tell.

Rons16 03-23-2009 02:44 PM

Mine is balanced a little behing the CG, but that's where I usually start as CG's on ARFs and such are usually pretty cautious. I could move my battery from under the tank (on the CG) to just in front and it would be right on. I prefer a little tail heavy. I did forget to mention, that I pulled out the tail wheel screws, in heavy grass, taxi-ing to the runway. I will beef up that area tomorrow. I also failed to mention this bird will do a tight knife edge loop on low rates and is rediculous on high rates. It does knife edge loops like my MOJO.

RJetss 03-23-2009 03:34 PM

Nice Ron....Glad to hear the maiden went well. I'm close to flying , but not quite yet. I needed few HD extentions and a new gas pail. So I did a small order with tower. Ifinally put the plane up on our website from my club. They went wild. lol.....Toldem I was doing a winter project. I'll keeps yas posted on my maiden and hopfully have a small video of it as well.

Rons16 04-12-2009 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, my hybrid is no longer. The horizontal stab broke lose and I couldn't save it. If I ever build another one, I will use 1/4 square hardwood to surround the stab opening and also re-inforce the fuse in the rear. Its not strong enough in the tail feathers area. Oh well, whats 4 months work anyway. I only had a cell phone camera for the aftermath.

craigteffe 04-13-2009 10:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I know how you feel. Are you sure that something else did not happen to the rear, on my first one i lost a switch and the plane spun into the ground from very high nose first and the stab was still intact with the tail section. I had to dremal the sides away from the stab and now that stab is the one that i am using in my current hybrid. I now have over 150 flights on mine and no signs of anything at the tail.

Did you epoxy the stab in?

I cut small notches in the 1/4 sqare supports on the top and bottom and then epoxied the devil out of the that area then slid in the stab, makes a mess but after cleaning off the epoxie i will guarentee it will not come off.

Again sorry to hear about you loss!!