RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   OMP Hybrid Edge 540 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/7372055-omp-hybrid-edge-540-build.html)

craigteffe 06-22-2008 09:05 PM

RE: OMP Hybrid Edge 540 Build

1 Attachment(s)
Update: I have sterted on one wing pannel, ihave all the ribs glued in, the spars are in place and the leading and trailing sub edges are glued in along with the wing tube. Next on the list is to glue the trailing edge sheeting in place and then i will add some block for my robart hinge points then edge glue all my sheeting for the leading edges.

Oh and to let you guys know I have friend at the field that lost his comp arf due to the reciever heating up and failing. If intersted take a look here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_76..._1/key_/tm.htm

So the new Futaba module that i bought and the 3 recievers that i purchased are not going into any of my airplanes. Darn glad it wasn't my new hybrid i would have been livid.

outssider 06-24-2008 12:18 PM

Craig...

did they fix the issue with the r2 rib not seating properly...they were supposed to....!!

I wouldn't trust the xps though either....

craigteffe 06-24-2008 02:22 PM

I guess so mine fit just fine. I am working on one wing pannel at the moment and then i will start the other one.

craigteffe 06-24-2008 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are picture of my reciever and module that is still in the box that i will not use because of the trouble that my friend had.

BaldEagel 06-25-2008 07:03 PM

If you heat an Rx up to that sort of temp what do you expect, read the Futaba instructions posted on that site they are quite clear on what you are supposed to do to prevent overheating of the equipment, from what I gather your friend ignored the advise and mounted the Rx on top of a power regulator, lets keep a sence of ballance on here at least and drop this subject on this thread, if you wish to post views on this subject please go to the dedicated thread detailed above.

Mike

craigteffe 06-25-2008 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

If you heat an Rx up to that sort of temp what do you expect, read the Futaba instructions posted on that site they are quite clear on what you are supposed to do to prevent overheating of the equipment, from what I gather your friend ignored the advise and mounted the Rx on top of a power regulator, lets keep a sence of ballance on here at least and drop this subject on this thread, if you wish to post views on this subject please go to the dedicated thread detailed above.

Mike
He did now about any problems untill after the fact, I did not see the post untill we had bought our recievers. But no where in the instructions did it say to mout the reciever on its side or to cover the reciever. We/ he mounted the reciver in the same location as the PCM that was in there.

Its a mood point at this time anyway as I have sent back my module and reciever to get my money back and i am selling my other 2 here on RCU.

I will be going with JR because Futaba/Hobbico got nasty with both of us over the phone and said they have no evidence they have any heat related issues, I know several people that have sent these back in and either no response yet or they send them back with a note saying noting is wrong.

BaldEagel 06-26-2008 06:04 AM

If you will not let this drop then neither will I and then the thread will be closed down for being off subject.

Futaba's notes say NOT to cover the Rx, or wrap it in foam you have misread the instructions on how to install this equipment.

Mike

craigteffe 06-26-2008 06:25 AM

If you would like to post more on this subject please go to this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7645681/tm.htm

Read all the way through and you might get the jist of things.

craigteffe 06-26-2008 06:29 AM

Back on subject i got the sheeting on the bottom of one wing half last night and made all the sheeting up for both wings. Hopefully in a couple weeks I will be ready to cover the plane and start final assembly.

Crash90 06-26-2008 06:46 AM

Craig. Grat idea on the air box. Looks great.

craigteffe 06-26-2008 08:14 AM

Thanks crash,
I din't have a problem with cooling on my other plane but i decided to get more of the air over the head. No problem with over cooling.

craigteffe 06-29-2008 09:06 PM

Update: I have one wing pannel completed and now its time to start on the other wing pannel. Here are a couple pictures.

craigteffe 06-29-2008 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry here are the pictures

craigteffe 06-29-2008 09:29 PM

hey

craigteffe 07-13-2008 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a little update: I have everything built and i am in the process of checkig the incidence and then its on to filling andsanding here are a couple pictures.

craigteffe 07-20-2008 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Build update: I have all the base color on and just installed the horizontal stablizier after the epoxy cures i will start hinging all the surfaces then put on my second color of covering.

outssider 07-21-2008 11:36 AM

Yellow again.. hu !

I have a feeling I know what the second color is going to be.....

craigteffe 07-21-2008 03:46 PM

I liked the last one so much, and i did not have it long enough to get tired of the color scheme. I don't think i could ever get tired of red and yellow.

jeroli27 07-30-2008 01:57 PM

I've been thinking about picking one up and was wondering if any one has used any larger engines in it. I have a zdz 80 that needs a home right now. It weighs about a pound more than a DA 50. It sounds like it will handle the weight if it can be balanced with out to much trouble. Also how complete is the kit and what kind of hardware does it come with.

craigteffe 07-30-2008 04:29 PM

With the 80 throttle management will be a must. I think the 80 is way overkill.

The kit comes with the main gear wing tube and socket and that is it as far as hardware is concerned.

I had one that i built and finished in feb. but it only lasted a month because of a battery or switch failure. The engine i used on it was a DL 50 and that is the same engine i will be using on my new one. My all up weight is 16lb 9oz this is with all stock stuff and 2 A123 batteries that weight almost 1lb together. I could easily get this plane down to 15.5 lb if i switched out the landing gear and wing tube to carbon fiber, and went to a lighter batteries, but my other plane weighed 17lb and flew like a dream. The only thing i will say bad about the plane is it would not do a very good wall without gaining altitude. Other than that I loved it soo much that I had to build another one.

I will post some finished pictures later tonight.

craigteffe 07-30-2008 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here she is everything is done and ready for range check and test flight. I ended up installing the batteries under my fuel tank behind the wing tube on this plane. All up weight without fuel is 16lb 9oz. Very good weight for this kind of wing loading, 92 inch span and 1868 on the wing area.

Here are some pictures

craigteffe 07-30-2008 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few of the layout.

3D_Junkie 07-31-2008 07:28 AM

Man Craig you are a hybrid building machine. You've built two in the time it has taken me to build 1/2, but I took a hiatus for a while.

outssider 07-31-2008 11:58 AM

which vess is that ? I tried a 23a once, spun up quick. never did tach that one though,.... i suspect it tached around 7200

marzo91 07-31-2008 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like my Hybrid too. It seems like most do something different with the front cowling area.

I have a MVVS Prosport 58/MSC 24x8 prop in mine. It is the perfect set-up.

Yellow and reddish-orange are my fave colors too.