Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 metal gear servos vs karbanite. >

metal gear servos vs karbanite.

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

metal gear servos vs karbanite.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal gear servos vs karbanite.

Are metal gears necessary for gas planes? I am building a gas pattern plane with a 20cc DLE, and am not sure if metal gears are necessary?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Default RE: metal gear servos vs karbanite.

I wouldnt say absolutly necessary, but I would say its a darn good idea. most of the servos that put out the torque needed for giant scale have metal gears.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 AM
My Feedback: (159)

A plane that size should be just fine with karbonite gears.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 AM
My Feedback: (3)

According to HiTec - Yes.

I use the metal geared servos in all of my gas airplanes as I can find no real reason not too
and the people that make (market) the servos say to do it. Plus, they are the ones who
warranty the servos.

Dan
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the help. I don't need high torque, the plane is only 8-9 lbs.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently the need for metal geared servos in gas engined planes is that gas engines vibrate more than glow engines, destroying the plastic gears. At least that is my understanding from reading the information. It is also noted that metal gears will wear faster than plastic and lose their precision sooner because of this.

Happy New year.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a long thread ,about karbonite servos, on RCU. I suggest that you find it, before purchasing these servos.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM
J-3

I asked Hitec in an email about using karbonite gear servos and their answer is below....Brian

Hi Brian,

Billy is out of the office so I am answering emails for him. We do not suggest using the Karbonite servos in gas planes because of the extreme vibration from the engine. Though Karbonite is 3 times stronger that nylon, they are also more rigid. This causes them to break rather than bend under heavy vibration.

Regards,
Tony Ohm
Hitec /Multiplex USA
12115 Paine St
Poway, CA 92040

Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
My Feedback: (76)

Karbanite should be fine for the dle 20 Ihave a dle 20 and the Vibration is no worse than a nitro 2 stroke or 4 stroke My dle 20 is on a Seagul Edge 540 and I am running the Hitec 5485 standard Digital servos and they are just fine
Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had more karbonite servos fail due to the gears just breaking then I have any other servo failure... a good friend just lost a very nice plane due to a karbonite servo failure.. the servo motors will still work.. but the gears just break.. way to brittle for my liking.. i wouldn't do it. Go with metal-gear..you won't regret it.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noffey,

In my years of flying gassers I wouldn't use anything but metal geared servos on a gasser. For all the reasons listed about. If your unsure, go with metal gear.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: bbrown2828

Karbanite should be fine for the dle 20 I have a dle 20 and the Vibration is no worse than a nitro 2 stroke or 4 stroke My dle 20 is on a Seagul Edge 540 and I am running the Hitec 5485 standard Digital servos and they are just fine
[/quote

Im sure the servos will out last the plane anyway. My buddys seagul didnt last very long with a gas engine on it. They are not built for a gasser
Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: hanko

ORIGINAL: bbrown2828

I wouldnt worry about running karbonite gear servos on a segull arf, the airplane will fall apart before the servos go bad anyway
Good point, but that isn't saying much.

I've seen karbonite servos break, with just the simple act of removing the servo arm.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: J-3

I asked Hitec in an email about using karbonite gear servos and their answer is below....Brian

Hi Brian,

Billy is out of the office so I am answering emails for him. We do not suggest using the Karbonite servos in gas planes because of the extreme vibration from the engine. Though Karbonite is 3 times stronger that nylon, they are also more rigid. This causes them to break rather than bend under heavy vibration.

Regards,
Tony Ohm
Hitec /Multiplex USA
12115 Paine St
Poway, CA 92040

Thanks for sharing j-3...

Interesting wording here... first he's saying "extreme vibration".. how does one determine extreme? In this case it would be just because the engine is gas constitutes "extreme"(which of course they do vibrate..but come on...)...

then.... "Karbonite is 3 times stronger then(he uses "that" for some reason)nylon, they are also very rigid" so does strength = rigidity? or can that be said they are brittle as in my experience? I've known some substances that are very strong.. yet not brittle nor rigid.

Last part..."This causes them to break rather than bend under heavy vibration.".... I've not ever bent a servo gear.. they either work, or they strip.. has anyone ever pulled a gear out and found it "bent"... It just sounds like someone is at a loss for words..

If that's the case why would they market a high-torque servo that can't or shouldn't be used in such conditions..? Curious here, does anyone see this as I do??

Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 AM

I, too, find it interesting that Hitec markets servos that are useless. I have seen the Karbonite break, however. I will not use them.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I had two 635HB's doing aileron duty for my GP Super Stearman. I'm not sure what temperature they should have been used at but, on the third outing it was in the low 50's and during my preflight checks w/ engine running they both broke. A few other I have spoke with had them do the same thing in lower temp's. It may have all just been coincidence. Never the less, I replaced them with MG 645's and didnt look back.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 PM

yep...I've found the 645MG's bulletproof. Have never had one fail yet...and they're the one's doing all the grunt work.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 PM

645's are a great servo for $29. I like the 5645's in my 50 cc planes. I use 7955's and 7985's for the big jobs
Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 PM

We spend $1000.00 and often more for the best engines and toil countless hours building our pride and joy. Only far too often put in a crapy low end servo to arguably do the most important job which is make the plane controllable in the air. In the end you get exactly what you pay for from HiTec a great priced servo that will most likely crash your plane especially if you go Krapanite. Of course you can always rely on the first rate HiTec quality control staff, i.e. never use locktite on our Krapanite servos, use two 100oz. pr. sq. in. servos on a control surface on planes over 12lbs and don’t forget the classic, “we are sorry about the loss of your plane sir”. Yep you really get a lot for that great priced HiTech servo but if you fly them do it at your own risk! Or you can simply buy the best, JR servos pay more and get more end of story, plus an added benefit your plane lives to fly another day.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM

will the metal gear "set" from the mg645 fit into the 635hb ??
Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: A6TEXAN

will the metal gear ''set'' from the mg645 fit into the 635hb ??
No need to fuss about all that if you just go JR!!!!!!! It's your plane why not keep it flying.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 AM

It must be cold, in River City. Calm down, man.

Hitec makes some good products. Karbonite is not one of them.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: sticktickler

We spend $1000.00 and often more for the best engines and toil countless hours building our pride and joy. Only far too often put in a crapy low end servo to arguably do the most important job which is make the plane controllable in the air. In the end you get exactly what you pay for from HiTec a great priced servo that will most likely crash your plane especially if you go Krapanite. Of course you can always rely on the first rate HiTec quality control staff, i.e. never use locktite on our Krapanite servos, use two 100oz. pr. sq. in. servos on a control surface on planes over 12lbs and don’t forget the classic, “we are sorry about the loss of your plane sir”. Yep you really get a lot for that great priced HiTech servo but if you fly them do it at your own risk! Or you can simply buy the best, JR servos pay more and get more end of story, plus an added benefit your plane lives to fly another day.

Achoobullsheet
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: sticktickler

ORIGINAL: A6TEXAN

will the metal gear ''set'' from the mg645 fit into the 635hb ??
No need to fuss about all that if you just go JR!!!!!!! It's your plane why not keep it flying.
I don't know why they don't just shut down all the other servo manufacturer's..... how dooooooo they make it with such stiff competition.. I mean with JR being the best and all..

Could it be that there is "reasonably" priced equipment that actually works decently? [X(]

Not everybody has a silver spoon in thier mouth.... some just have feet.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM

You know, I have 11 giant scale model airplanes from 30 cc up to 150 cc, some have as many 10 servos, I have allways run Hitek servos. I have never had a mishap because of a servo related issue. I have never had a Hitek servo, quit, break, strip, bend, or any of the other horse crap things that have been said on this thread. So I suggest the guy that infers we are douchebags for not running anything but JR should try using them as a supository

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.