Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Which Smart Fly board to get >

Which Smart Fly board to get

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Which Smart Fly board to get

Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Smart Fly board to get

I have the 100cc Hanger 9 Beast and I have been slowly buying parts for it to get it flight ready. I have only had one other 50cc plane that had a smart fly board and I didnt pick it out. When I go to TBM to look through their smart fly board collection, they just have so many of them and Im not sure which one would work best for a 100cc Beast. I plan on using either an 8 or 12 channel Futaba 2.4 reciever in this plane and it will take 7 servos to fly it. Based on that info, which one would work the best for me?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Which Smart Fly board to get

I would go with 2 RX's, 2 Switches, 2 RX batteries.

If installed as Don Apostolico, owner of Don's Hobby Shop recommends with half the plane controlled by each RX, it eliminates single points of failure providing redundancy for better security than a single component alone entrusted to "do it all".
Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

While there are various options available for the OP to consider and dual rx's is one of them, I tend to discount some of what Don says as it's all old school (which isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you disparage all other methods as he does) and he thinks that his way is the only way to do things. I'm always suspicious of people who speak in absolutes...

For the OP; why don't you contact Smart-Fly and see what Bob has to say about which setup might fit your needs and wallet? It's pretty difficult to find anyone in the retail business world with better support that Smart-Fly and d*mn near impossible with model stuff. He'll explain the various options and why without trying to push anything at you and I think if you do a few searches around here I don't remember ever seeing anyone post about unresolved issues or problems with Smart-Fly.

There are other options available to you as well as other brands of PE's so just keep doing some research/reading on the forums and I think you'll come up with a solution you feel comfortable with.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EQ6 & Relions / Pin switch. I have 6 planes setup this way and never a problem.
Highly recommend but it's like everyone has a different thing on batteries switches etc,etc.
I like to monitor my batteries without a calculator as well. Any case you will see alot of suggestions and good
advice here.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I agree Zeeb Don is definitely old school. Regardless of his style, he errors on the side of caution. I think one is wise to doubly consider the advice of those who have survived long enough to sort out "tried and true" from "the latest fad."

I should confess I have another reason to dislike power distribution boards: While they do a great job of helping to tidy up the interior of a plane, they often get installed as a beautiful centerpiece right where I want to put a very large smoke tank. I'm happy I can install smaller components in other places often for less cost and still retain a good measure of security which can arguably increase a plane's resistance to crashing due to component failures.

To be more helpful to davidgeorge212's question, if I were in the market for a power distribution board, I would be asking questions like:
1) What is the circuit design?
2) Are there isolated power paths accommodating truly redundant power options (ie, lose one battery, rest of unit continues to function?)
3) where is the worst case path of failure? What will happen in that case?
4) Could use of this unit possibly hide issues in other components (which could worsen and cause problems?)

I wouldn't use such a unit until I had a complete systems breakdown of its strengths AND weaknesses.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 AM

IMHO, the sport 8 Power Expander will fill the bill. Hitech 7955s on the ailerons set up with a programmer, one lead per servo. Two HD SmartFly switches and two 2300 A123s. You can pull ignition power off of the PE board to run the ignition(2.4 only) with an inline voltage dropping diode. Lot of old school guys will disagree but it works very well.

Contact Richard at [link=http://www.wrongwayrc.com/Home_Page.php]WrongWayRC[/link] for more info and hardware.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

I agree Zeeb Don is definitely old school. Regardless of his style, he errors on the side of caution. I think one is wise to doubly consider the advice of those who have survived long enough to sort out ''tried and true'' from ''the latest fad.''

I should confess I have another reason to dislike power distribution boards: While they do a great job of helping to tidy up the interior of a plane, they often get installed as a beautiful centerpiece right where I want to put a very large smoke tank. I'm happy I can install smaller components in other places often for less cost and still retain a good measure of security which can arguably increase a plane's resistance to crashing due to component failures.
Yup I'm all for the "KISS" method (old computer acronym meaning Keep It Simple Stupid... lol) and my latest model has the JR 12 channel PowerSafe rx; dual 16g inputs, built in battery isolation and a built in "Fail On" softswitch. Combine that with a buss that'll take 35 amps continous, burst to 50 amps and dual A123 batteries and I personally like the setup. Not a smoke guy but I do like how clean the install is and doesn't take up much room.

For the OP's setup; there are lots of guys claiming they're running big aerobats and their correspondingly large servos with the 6014 rx's, but Bax over on the Futaba support forum has indicated the max current for that rx is only 8 amps. QuiQui recommends some big 'honkin JR servos all around for that Beast (I have a friend who just bought one) and I'm not sure they are necessary considering the size of most of the surfaces but with that in mind dual rx's would split that load or a PE would handle it as well. My friend who is also flying Futaba will be using a PowerBox PE setup on his model.

Just another reason for the OP to do his homework and find something he's comfortable with for the install...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66288.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1551247