Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Returning to RC - Gas >

Returning to RC - Gas

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Returning to RC - Gas

Old 01-30-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning to RC - Gas

I would very much appreciate the benefit of members' experiences... for background:
I left this fine hobby about 15 years ago, or so. Last plane then was a Sig 4*120, with a G-23 on it. I loved that plane! It met it's demise in an unfortunate mid-air. :-)
Fast forward to current... I have been researching, and have bought and flown successfully a used trainer, I have bought & used realfight, and now am ready to expand. Back in the day, so to speak, there were not nearly so many options... So I am asking for opinions and your experiences.
May want to get something not necessarily 3D, but fun. Maybe an ultra Stick? with a gas engine and proper radio. Looked at a DLE 20- & 30 yesterday. NICE!
I supppose radio selection is most confusing for me at this point...Looking to buy a modern radio ( Futaba fasst?, JR? Spectrum?).
I have a little less than a grand to complete this next step, and think I can do that fairly easily..(hopefully)
:-)
SO I am asking for anyones experience, or recommendations, or warnings!

Thanks,
John
Norman, OK.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM

Default RE: Returning to RC - Gas

I think the Ultrastick is a great idea however the 1.20 isn't currently available. Here is an alternative

[link]http://texasrcplanes.com/stickairplanes.html[/link]

DLE by far rules the roost for quality, power curve, dependability and reliability of all of the Chinese engines in the 20cc and 30cc sizes. Buy one of those from a factory authorised dealer (not sure which is closest to you but Valleyview is a very good choice) and you will have excellent service at an excellent price.

Which radio system to use is very much a can or worms as there are probably equal numbers of lovers to haters of each brand. My preference on Radio would be the Futaba FASST system - maybe a 7 channel (can't remember the number off the top of my head - I use the 14MZ having switched over from a different brand due to the "features" of that other brand not being well suited to me).

The DLE30 will last you many airframes and there are many airframes made to suit it. Look into the IBEC (IgnitionBattery Eliminator circuit) from Ultra RC and you can save the weight of the additional battery.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks Aussie!
I do appreciate your input!
That Texas RC Stik looks mighty fine! - I used to enjoy building... but nowadays I am in a very small 1br apt., and I think it is not gonna work! :-)
All of my old toolls are in storge - I know where the storage unit is, but the contractors who packed it did not label baoxes - It may take years to find everything I need, so I have started purchasing a few items (iron) here and theres as time passes.
Thanks Again!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A fellow flyer at our field has the giant Big Stick with a DLE 30 and it flies really nice.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKJY0&P=0
There are a lot of great choices for a radio these days. I'm seeing more of the new Hitec Auroras out at our field, and the 8 channel Futaba is pretty nice and I'm hearing good things about it, too. There are some interesting less expensive radios too, you'll just have to do some research on what features you want and how much you feel like spending.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 PM

I surely agree that a stick with a gas engine packs a huge amount of fun for the buck. I've an Ultastick 120 Lite with the quad setup with a Zenoah G-20 and absolutely love the plane. Out of fifteen planes flight ready in the hanger, the stick is flown as much as all the rest.

Let us know what you end up doing and welcome back to flight activity.... enjoy.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the encouragement AA5BY !
I will post up when SOMETHING happens! LOL.
Been scanning the classifieds here, CL, and the local hobby shops...
John
Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 PM

I bought GMP's MX2 http://www.giantmodelproducts.com/in...28u9dg0uvvia12 They have it on sale for 350 shipped. I've seen several video's of this plane flying and looks like it is a real gentle flyer. I'm not into 3d and am recovering from a stroke like disease. So it seems like this plane with a DLE 30 will fit the bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55029.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1559591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42406.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1559592  
Old 02-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the info Kerwin ... Looks like a nice plane :-)
Best of Luck with it!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM

I would hit some of the swap meets that usually happen this time of year. You might find just what you want without having to pay the "new" price.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM

Funny you should mention that T-bird! Tried going last weekend, but we were lat earriving! .
I am on the lookout for others in my area (central OK).
Thanks, I'lll keep ya posted if anyhting develops... :-)

John
Old 02-08-2011, 05:09 AM

I'm shopping also but I may have to wait to my heat bill goes down and use towers easy pay for a DLE 30
My 1st choice is the DLE 30 because of it's power, reliable, and it holds it's value.
When I sold my G62 in 03 I only lost a 100 dollars on it and I had it 15 years.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Big RC auction coming up in Wichita if you want to make the drive. It goes on all day. March 5th. Like most swap meets and auctions, you never know what you will find.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:08 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a Giant Super Sporster in your future.
I scatch built a Ryans Rebel over in the Scratch Build forum. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9610562/tm.htm
It's an easy plane to build and goes together real fast.(I should know, I built it twice)
There is a certain saticfaction about building from plans that one cannot obtain through an ARF.
Red.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Well...
Got of work today & there was a nice Aeroworks Yak 54, within driving distance, complete less TX, for what I thought was a good price [8D].
So I snagged it, even tho it isn't gasoline... It has a Saito 1.80 on it . I will be picking up a TX Monday or Tuesday evening, then I will check everything 15 times before I fly! LOL.
Looks reall nice, light used (6-7 flights).

I wonder how much trouble would it be to swap in a Dle20 ? LOL