Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

super decathlon

Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super decathlon

All right i got the bug and i have the top flight kit 89 inch wing span
and i want to go gas
i have researched and found dle the engine of choice
some say 55 or 30
but the dle 20 is putting out 2.2 hp
what do you all think.
this will be my 1st gas but not the last..
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: super decathlon

you mean dynaflite?
The 50 is way too much and the cowling will be all hacked up, the 20 would be marginal at best.
A DLE30 should be plenty of power and fit OK
good luck
Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 AM

What Nitro says is about right. The output of the 30 will match the Dynaflight SD well. You will be very tail heavy, unless you take severe steps to reduce weight on the backside. Don't worry, even with the necessary lead in the nose, she will still be a good flyer. I put a Quadra 42 in mine (with a few onces of lead) and it worked out well. I suspect a modern 30 will pull about the same.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 AM

If she needs weight up front, add a smoke system, gassers smoke easily
Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Actually, the cowling does not need to be "all hacked up" to put in the DA or DLE 50. I have one in my Dynaflight Decathlon and it is great! Power is not an issue and I had no problem balancing the plane with the larger motor. I did do a fair bit of modification up front so that everything fit and that the front end would hold together with the larger gasser. You do need to use a 3 blade prop in order to get enough ground clearance with the larger motor. I use a 20 x 12 x 3 Mej. I'm pretty sure that a DL30 would be a very good choice as well but I wanted to let you know that it can be done. By the way, this is a great flying sport plane and with the skiis on it allows me to continue to have IMAC style fun during the winter. If you want to do 3D style flying you should extend the ailerons in much closer to the wing root as they lose effectiveness pretty quickly as the plane slows down to harrier/hovering airspeed!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88890.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1558407  
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks all
Wow that plane is a real bute

Thanks again i will use the dle 30
Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM

LOOK what i found..

http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/general/i.htm
Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Leadtrumpet

Actually, the cowling does not need to be ''all hacked up'' to put in the DA or DLE 50. I have one in my Dynaflight Decathlon and it is great! Power is not an issue and I had no problem balancing the plane with the larger motor. I did do a fair bit of modification up front so that everything fit and that the front end would hold together with the larger gasser. You do need to use a 3 blade prop in order to get enough ground clearance with the larger motor. I use a 20 x 12 x 3 Mej. I'm pretty sure that a DL30 would be a very good choice as well but I wanted to let you know that it can be done. By the way, this is a great flying sport plane and with the skiis on it allows me to continue to have IMAC style fun during the winter. If you want to do 3D style flying you should extend the ailerons in much closer to the wing root as they lose effectiveness pretty quickly as the plane slows down to harrier/hovering airspeed!
Nice pic, loos like a freaking turbo prop! I asume power is unlimited?
If going with 50cc, may as well try the RC guys version no?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

ORIGINAL: Leadtrumpet

Actually, the cowling does not need to be ''all hacked up'' to put in the DA or DLE 50. I have one in my Dynaflight Decathlon and it is great! Power is not an issue and I had no problem balancing the plane with the larger motor. I did do a fair bit of modification up front so that everything fit and that the front end would hold together with the larger gasser. You do need to use a 3 blade prop in order to get enough ground clearance with the larger motor. I use a 20 x 12 x 3 Mej. I'm pretty sure that a DL30 would be a very good choice as well but I wanted to let you know that it can be done. By the way, this is a great flying sport plane and with the skiis on it allows me to continue to have IMAC style fun during the winter. If you want to do 3D style flying you should extend the ailerons in much closer to the wing root as they lose effectiveness pretty quickly as the plane slows down to harrier/hovering airspeed!
Nice pic, loos like a freaking turbo prop! I asume power is unlimited?
If going with 50cc, may as well try the RC guys version no?
Thanks, yup, pretty much unlimited although the plane is a bit heavy and the 3 blade does load it down some! I fly at about 3200 feet above sea level so the extra power does not hurt! I like to build and modify but you are right, there is a pretty good ARF version out there with the RC Guys plane.