Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 SpaceWalker 120 control throws >

SpaceWalker 120 control throws

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

SpaceWalker 120 control throws

Old 02-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SpaceWalker 120 control throws

I have almost completed assembing a Spacewalker II 120 by Seagull models and I am ready to set the throws on the control surfaces. For initial flying and sport flying the manual "highly recommends" the following throws
3/16" up and down on ailrons
3/8" up and down for elevator
1" right and left on rudder
I always like tofollow what the manual recommends but these throws seem so short that I am concerned about being able to control the model in the air. I am looking for anyone who has built and flown the Seagull Spacewalker II 120 using these throws to give me some feedback. Are my concerns justified? I am an intermediate sport flyer. Should I increase the throws?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SpaceWalker 120 control throws

Just use those for low rates, and increase them 50 percent for high rates. Dial in some exponential if you want for the high rates. Adjust them after the first trial flights after you have the plane trimmed out. That's what I would do. More important is to check the cg and balance side to side.

Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 02-11-2011, 04:48 PM

Hi,

I am flying a Seagull Space Walker 120. I have my elevator set at 1" up and down with 20% expo and it is probably too much throw, but ceratinly flyable. I think I started with about 3/4 " up and down on elevator . More on ailerons and rudder is OK, they just aren't as critical as elevator. Make sure you have the CG adjusted correctly! With their recommended elevator throws and a forward CG, you could run out of elevator on landing. I have a Saito 182 twin in mine and the CG came out right on with no aded weight. If you are using a 120 I would bet you will need a lot of nose weight to balance.

This is a very good flying airplane, relatively slow, lands almost like a trainer. The main gear is very springy, if you set it down a bit hard it will bounce. Also I replaced the tail wheel assembly, the one on my plane did not hold up. The wheel pant mounting is also poor, I used bolts through the gear and blind nuts in the wheel pant to mount mine.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful
I will definetly check the balance on the CG and lateral. I will stick with the recommended throws on low for test flights and I will program the aeroobatic throws on high rate with about 20% expo. If I feel that I dont have enough control, I will switch to high.
Sincerely, Richard O.