Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

extra 330 28% set up

Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extra 330 28% set up

With no experience with that size of airplanes, I was hoping that maybe somebody could help me with selection of servos. I bought 9kg servos all around but was then told that rudder and elevator must definately have bigger ones. Iam about to install 2 x 13kg on the elevators and 2 x 9kg in line on the rudder. Then keep the 9kg, one on each aileron. How does that sound?

Airplane has 2.29m wingspan and is fitted with a DLE GT55 engine.

My second questions has to do with the center of gravity. Just to avoid re-positioning components at a later stage, does anybody have any suggestions as to where to try and add more weight? fwd , aft?

Thanks so much!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: extra 330 28% set up

Are these digital servos? The holding power and centering is better on a digital. Another thing to consider that is just as important is battery capacity. The best servos in the world aren't worth a durn if they don't have enough amperage and the correct voltage. If you tell us what your setup is going to be, I'm sure more experienced people than me will give some good advise.
As far as balance, I generally plan ahead that the airframe will be tail heavy. That way if it does turn out nose heavy, its a lot easier to shift a little weight rearward. My last two planes in this size range were totally different, with one being a little tail heavy and the next one coming out a little nose heavy. I was able to move the batteries back a little to correct the nose heavy condition, but had to add some lead to the firewall of the tail heavy plane.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Thanks a lot for that. Servos are digital. It is my intention to use a powerbox and have two LiPo batteries running.Stillnot sure of their capacity.Then I will have another smaller LiPo battery for the ignition. So there's another question - battery capacity. But given that, I still wonder if these servos will enable the plane to fly and do aerobatics.
Got the point with the CG. Thanks</p>
Old 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Would somebody be able to advise me if the DLE55 engine will be sufficient to fly the 28% EXTRA 330L plane which has ended up weighing abt 9.6 kg with approx 500gr of extra weight added at the fore end? Manual says this is a 60cc airplane? Would it not be wiser to fit an 80cc engine and so add engine weight fwd (and remove ballast) but also get the extra power? Thaaaaanks!!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:49 PM

That plane must have been designed around something like a Zenoah G62. Plent of power but a little heavier than the new crop of 50-60cc engines.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
My Feedback: (44)

If this is a modern aerobatic airplane with large aileron surfaces, the 9Kg/cm servos are underpowered for the ailerons
and you risk flutter.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:32 PM

...so, should I take it that the DLE55 is going to fly it...but will not hover it?

in regards to servos, I ve now changed themto bigger ones and sohope that they will be able to adequately handle thebig surfaces. Will see.

I am justnot sure if it would be better to replace the engine with onein the 85cc range, and inthat case which would be a DLE cost equivalent one cylinder engine toselect?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:39 PM

You may be very surprised how well a DLE will fly this plane. And you well may be taking some of that lead out of the nose as you learn to fly this plane and see where it likes to be balanced for your type of flying.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM

well, you re giving me hope! thanks!
tmrw is probably the big day!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Just to let those who may be curious know, this airplance flew with the 55 DLE, and in fact hovered with 40% of the throttle!
So good news!!!!!

Thanks all so much!</p>
Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Congrats on the maiden!!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:58 PM

I feel like those new starters that you can see will make smt wrong from the beginning...and then they just do it!
rcairflr said it...and it happened. It was only the third ever flight...and I was starting to get confident as the plane was just beautiful! It would take off at a third of the throttle..and those wings were really giving out lift!!

And then all of a sudden...I felt the ailerons would not react properly...and then a continuous sound like........fluttering..and then no ailerons at all..and then no chance to save it with rudder and elevator only...(don't know what happened with the other aileron - maybe I paniked and did not push that stick all the way to the end in case it would react)...

When I saw the plane, one wing was intact and the other had no signs of contact to the monocotewhatsoever. Only the latter was broken. Servo was also off. Then I said to myself, good opportunity to first hear about the fluttering phenomenon...and enjoy the consequences. Unfortunately I am not sure if the servo failed first and then wing broke due to fluttering or if the wing broke first and caused the fluttering, Don't know. The plane was not pushed to the limit at all...and so can't imagine why the wing would go just like that.

I think I have to change the topic name from setup...to ''crash due to fluttering??''
Old 03-26-2011, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

Congrats on the maiden!!
thaaanks but...hey.....no happy end )-: