Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Paint to match Ultracote Cub Yellow >

Paint to match Ultracote Cub Yellow

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Paint to match Ultracote Cub Yellow

Old 02-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint to match Ultracote Cub Yellow

Anyone know of a fuel proof paint that is a match?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 04:02 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Paint to match Ultracote Cub Yellow

I've had great luck with matching Rustoleum paint to Ultracote. Let it dry for a few days and it is resistant to glo-fuel. Good luck
Old 02-20-2011, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: at6fan

I've had great luck with matching Rustoleum paint to Ultracote. Let it dry for a few days and it is resistant to glo-fuel. Good luck
Hopefully someone will have a color match. This is for a gasser too.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about Tp Flight's LusterKote Cub Yellow TOPR7518. It is a high gloss paint and very fuel proof. Check it out at www.top-flite.com
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM

Tex, I have used this before and it was a pretty good match.  Don't know if PPG is macking the same paint, but id so use a respirator. The hardener isn't good for you.  It will try really fast if you get it into the 100-120 degree range. I did this by putting a 100 watt bulb in a ice chest and was able to paint all three colors I used in one day.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...paintmatch.htm
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Radio South sells PPG matching paint in small cans. I've used the Ultracote matching in Red and Orange and they are spot on. Respirator is a must as are gloves, but the paint is a joy to use.
Sam
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: rafeeki

How about Tp Flight's LusterKote Cub Yellow TOPR7518. It is a high gloss paint and very fuel proof. Check it out at www.top-flite.com
I just used this on a Dynaflite BOT fuselage. I used a white primer and after 2 cans it still looked nothing like the covering. Thumbs down from me on Lusterkote.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in the early days planes that were fabric cover were painted with butrate dope., and metal parts were painted with enamel. There fore the colors did not have s perfect match.It wasnot until
they started using the dacron did they paint fabric and metal parts w.ith the same paint. So color matched. I have recovered 35 planes. So i lknow a little about this. The last plane that i used cotton fabric and aircraft dope was a Sterman.In 1976 -1977 The metal parts was Lacquer
Old 03-01-2011, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ProScaleRc

I just used this on a Dynaflite BOT fuselage. I used a white primer and after 2 cans it still looked nothing like the covering. Thumbs down from me on Lusterkote.
Iagree about LusterKote. Cub Yellow Lusterkote doesn't even match well with CY Monokote. It's at least 3 shades lighter!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
My Feedback: (10)

state with your parts primed with White primer.
You can do it a couple of ways, 1st go to your local auto paint store and get them to take a reading then computer match it, most can mix a pint don't forget to get activator, spray it on with a Preval Spray System, Finish it up with a coat of clear that you also picked up a the auto paint store. If you have an air compresser then you could do all of this with a Bager 250 or a detail gun.

The second way would be to go to Lowes or Home Depot get there paint dept. to match your covering, again get a pint of water based paint , spray it then when dry lay on a coat of clear of any type.

The main thing is to get your paint computer matched to the covering, the people doing it do it every day and do a petty good job. Hope this helps...Don
Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Low Show

state with your parts primed with White primer.

The main thing is to get your paint computer matched to the covering, the people doing it do it every day and do a petty good job. Hope this helps...Don
I always use several good coats of primer.
I agree that there are several ways to get your paint to match the coloring, but we were pointing out that Cub Yellow Monokote in particular isn't the right color. With every other color I've used, the match between paint and covering has been pretty good, near perfect in some cases.