Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

FAA Regulations!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Justin Lloyd
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAA Regulations!!!

Hello RC Community,

We need your help in writing letters to congress. Tell them not to enforce regulations which could destroy our beloved hobby. We only have barely over 40,000 letters sent in. That's nothing! We are going to lose this battle unless everyone pitches in. Don't think that your letter won't make a difference. If everyone has that attitude we won't get many letters sent. But if everyone sends a letter we might convince the FAA not to set regulations. There is power in numbers. It doesn't have to be really long. A short letter is better than nothing. Thank you for considering this. Visit AMA online and they'll make it easy for you to send your letter.

Justin
Old 02-27-2011, 01:09 PM
hanko

Default RE: FAA Regulations!!!

just what regs are they proposing?
Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM
huck1199

Went to AMA site and sent letters to my reps - took 3 minutes. I hope all you flyers do the same.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Longbaskt
My Feedback: (5)

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx

You can read all about it here and sign letters to legislators in support of model aviation.. We need to do this for future fliers!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:08 PM
denoferth
My Feedback: (71)

I think at this point the general model aviation population is being kept in the dark. I have read some feel we should behave like sheep and shut our mouths to keep from offending some nameless bureaucrat in the FAA. Personally I feel we should be writing editorials in every media we have access to as well as letters to every one of our representatives and senators. Expose this power grab for what it is. Does nobody see how ludicrous it is for politicians with no comprehension of model operations to be writing rules for toy airplanes? Someone asked how they were going to enforce it. They could do it with big fines and stiff jail sentences when we do something stupid in public or we “offend” someone. I can’t stop wondering if they are planning on adopting a variation of the British system with licenses for classes of models you will be permitted to fly. Of course, being America, we will probably have to pay for the privilege. I wonder many kids that would discourage in the future.

I think public opinion will be on our side if we just make the effort to get the word of this fiasco out. What regulations are they proposing? Frankly even one is too many. What gives some faceless politician the right to tell me how and what model airplanes I can fly? Stand for this and we will lose it all. First they closed the airspace around the Olympics and nobody hollered. They got away with that so then it was big swatches of airspace anytime some politician goes golfing and still we didn’t raise a stink. Now they close it anytime there is a ball game. “National security” seems to be an excuse for anything these days. Let’s stand together this time and see if it can stand the light of day. I think ridicule may be our best weapon. Maybe when the general population gets wind of this plot for the government to regulate toy airplanes it just might change their minds. So I guess it boils down to either watching it unfold and taking our medicine like a good little boy or stepping up the letter writing campaign big time. Your choice.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: denoferth

I think at this point the general model aviation population is being kept in the dark. I have read some feel we should behave like sheep and shut our mouths to keep from offending some nameless bureaucrat in the FAA. Personally I feel we should be writing editorials in every media we have access to as well as letters to every one of our representatives and senators. Expose this power grab for what it is. Does nobody see how ludicrous it is for politicians with no comprehension of model operations to be writing rules for toy airplanes? Someone asked how they were going to enforce it. They could do it with big fines and stiff jail sentences when we do something stupid in public or we “offend” someone. I can’t stop wondering if they are planning on adopting a variation of the British system with licenses for classes of models you will be permitted to fly. Of course, being America, we will probably have to pay for the privilege. I wonder many kids that would discourage in the future.

I think public opinion will be on our side if we just make the effort to get the word of this fiasco out. What regulations are they proposing? Frankly even one is too many. What gives some faceless politician the right to tell me how and what model airplanes I can fly? Stand for this and we will lose it all. First they closed the airspace around the Olympics and nobody hollered. They got away with that so then it was big swatches of airspace anytime some politician goes golfing and still we didn’t raise a stink. Now they close it anytime there is a ball game. “National security” seems to be an excuse for anything these days. Let’s stand together this time and see if it can stand the light of day. I think ridicule may be our best weapon. Maybe when the general population gets wind of this plot for the government to regulate toy airplanes it just might change their minds. So I guess it boils down to either watching it unfold and taking our medicine like a good little boy or stepping up the letter writing campaign big time. Your choice.
Something you might think about, most of the people in the FAA adminestration started their aviation carrear as modelers too.
They don't want to see the hobby go away eather.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:15 PM
denoferth

That might once have been the case but I suspect most of them are now either retiring or retired. Judging from what I see emerging from our educational system I suspect the latest crop of administrators isn’t as knowledgeable or even sympathetic of flying models.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm sorry, but I think reacting negatively, when we don't even know what's being proposed, is not a good plan. It's like the press throwing up a big hype screen over any number of examples you'd care to consider, only to have the hype turned into a non event in the end? (Ooops!) Personally, I fail to see the reason to react just yet. I won't until I see and get a chance to study the actual proposal. At this point, hollering wolf to our representatives could very likely be taken as counter productive when/if we really do have the need? For the most part, they don't even know what's going on yet? Just sayin...
Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM
denoferth

I couldn’t disagree more. Negative would be more restrictions on my hobby that serve no useful purpose. It's way too late to react after the rules come out. A massive protest before they have committed to more regulations would seem the more prudent course of action. Preemptive strike of suffer the consequences. This make no waves, politically correct ***** footing around only gets you stepped on and ignored. I'm trying to stir up some letter writing action before the rules are announced, not respond with cries and moans after it’s too late. It's the squawky wheel thing.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 PM
huck1199

While the FAA may think kindly of us the morons at the TSA have no idea what we do or how we do it. The TSA is pushing these changes.  A flood of letters to our reps is the best course.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: huck1199

While the FAA may think kindly of us the morons at the TSA have no idea what we do or how we do it. The TSA is pushing these changes. A flood of letters to our reps is the best course.
It is well documented that this situation has nothing at all to do with TSA or terrorism.
The FAA started this process when the UAV industry and users started growing by leaps and bounds. Some UAV operators were trying to operate as model aircraft in situations where it was not appropriate. This caused the FAA to consider new rules and we are caught up in them.

The FAA Is doing this to keep things safer in the national airspace, even though we are realistically not enough of a probl to worry about. We all must work hard to be heard to limit the rules that could affect our freedom to fly r/c.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
denoferth

I only hope that we are using more energy writing letters to our reps than is being expanded here on this site.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

EVERYONE needs to go to the AMA website and read what these letters are really supporting. We are not being asked to fight an unknown FAA set of proposed regulations; we are being asked to support an amendment to an FAA fundingbill that would REMOVE MODELAVIATION FROM FAA OVERSIGHT!!! This amendment was proposed by Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma and approved by the Senate. The bill to which the amendment is attached has gone to the House for consideration. The AMA suggested letter asks that the amendment remain part of the overall bill when the Senate and House work out how the final bill will look!!

DO YOUR PART FOR MODEL AVIATION-SEND THE LETTER
Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: denoferth

I couldn’t disagree more. Negative would be more restrictions on my hobby that serve no useful purpose. It's way too late to react after the rules come out. A massive protest before they have committed to more regulations would seem the more prudent course of action. Preemptive strike of suffer the consequences. This make no waves, politically correct ***** footing around only gets you stepped on and ignored. I'm trying to stir up some letter writing action before the rules are announced, not respond with cries and moans after it’s too late. It's the squawky wheel thing.
Nobody's suggesting waiting for the rules to come out to react. They're PROPOSALS, and they're up for discussion when they come out! At this point you have no clue how, or even if anything you do regarding radio control might be affected - by the PROPOSALS. Nobody does.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 AM
dragonbuilder

I'm with you ahicks.The proposals will be released this summer,until then keep writing those letters.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 AM
vicarh

I took the liberty to send an email to all my club members and other contacts in our email list relating this issue. I have received a lot of responses from people that were not aware of this and many more from others telling me they were going to pass the word to others. This is the only way we are going to get the masses moving, communication.

I received a response from my Senator (yes, I know it was not him who responded) telling me he is aware of the situation... but that in the interest of our national security there may be a need to impose some restrictions... At this point it is a wait and see situation.

The commercial interests (UAV manufacturers and users) are probably more powerful (read have more money for lobbyists) that we are and probably will make a stronger case than we can ever imagine. We can help by speaking out, the idea of writing to the newspapers sounds good and I am going to consider doing it.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 AM
denoferth

Let’s be realistic. The real battle is between those of us who fly remote control aircraft by DIRECT SIGHT as a hobby and those COMMERCIAL interests who fly through the lens of a video camera. We have to impress upon or rule makers that we are not the threat to manned aircraft that autonomous robotic aircraft are. The fools making amateur movies for Utube have confused us with them in the public’s mind. The most important thing we can do is clarify this issue to our legislators and anybody else we can convince to make a call, write an editorial, send a letter, fax, or email in our favor. We're the government and we're here to help you is no joke. Since 9-11 we are fast sliding toward it’s no longer permitted unless specifically prohibited but instead strictly forbidden unless specifically permitted.

I've already written to my newspaper, legislators and net sites. My results so far is to be ignored by the left wing paper in Portsmouth, NH that has never seen a law it doesn’t like, surprising silence from my legislators who have always responded in the past and to be put on "monitored status" from some aviation sites I subscribe to for posting off topic. Interesting to hear your Senator rationalizes these proposed restrictions on model flying as a national security issue since the AMA and some in the model community are denying that excuse.

This is nothing more than the usual mass stupidly of punishing everyone because of a very few idiots who do questionable acts but are difficult to apprehend. It never ceases to amaze me how many of us are willing to sit back on our haunches and simply let the "authorities" take our freedoms away. Why wait until some unelected faceless administrators have already made up their minds and published their proposals. After working 26 years for the government I can assure you it’s a lot easier to influence a ruling before it’s gone through committee than change it later. With a large enough ground swell of indignation we might be able to sway any proposed limitations in our favor.