Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Hitec vs other brands metal gear servos? >

Hitec vs other brands metal gear servos?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Hitec vs other brands metal gear servos?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec vs other brands metal gear servos?

i am thinking of upgrading some of my older hitec 605 metal gear servos. on my cap232 and a giles 202

Are the any brands that are totaly metal geared.? not like hitec's metal gear set with the plastic drive gear. thats were the problem is on
my hitec sevos' the plastic gear wears real fast and then the servo will fail. i thought about the hitech karbolite sevos but i here problems about them on 1/4 scale planes. i am worried about servo gear strenth on the bigger planes but dont like the slop of metal gears.
also i dont ant to spend 100 buck on 1 dam servo if you know what i mean
thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 02:54 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec vs other brands metal gear servos?

Been using Futaba S3305 for years on planes up to 27% with excellent results. Good value for the money IMO.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXDWF8&P=8

SPECS: Dimensions: 1.6 x 0.8 x 1.5" (
Weight: 1.7oz (1-11/16oz) (47g)
Speed: 0.25 sec/60° @ 4.8V, 0.20 sec/60° @ 6V
Torque: 124 oz-in (8.9 kg-cm) at 6V
99 oz-in (7.1 kg-cm) at 4.8V
Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Downside with the S3305 Futaba is that they are actually a surface servo and not recommended for model planes. I have a set of 'em installed in an old Funtana and they seem to be fine for that, but a surface servo doesn't have the centering of an air servo so you need to keep that in mind....

From the Tower Hobbies webpage you linked:

"COMMENTS: Gear set FUTM3384 or DTXM3505
Case set FUTM2948
Futaba recommends these for cars and boats."
Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 AM
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks thats what i need. can you tell me what battery pack how many MH are you useing for them

ORIGINAL: LuvBipes

Been using Futaba S3305 for years on planes up to 27% with excellent results. Good value for the money IMO.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXDWF8&P=8

SPECS: Dimensions: 1.6 x 0.8 x 1.5" (
Weight: 1.7oz (1-11/16oz) (47g)
Speed: 0.25 sec/60° @ 4.8V, 0.20 sec/60° @ 6V
Torque: 124 oz-in (8.9 kg-cm) at 6V
99 oz-in (7.1 kg-cm) at 4.8V
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 AM

Emil, I generally use 5 cell NIMH batteries in the 1500 to 2000 mah range for planes 1/4 scale to 27%. It depends how much you fly. If you're like ,most guys (4 to 5 flights per session) that will be plenty and leave a good safety margin. If you're hard core doing 8 to 10 flights a day, then I would suggest a 5 cell 3000mah battery. One way or another, a thing I learned the hard way is to always check your batteries (under load) before each flight with a good digital voltmeter. You never know when a cell is going to go bad on you. I use this gadget from Futaba that works well, but there are plenty of other ones available too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYM6&P=FR

Zeeb, for sport and casual aerobatic flying the S3305 centering is fine, were not talking performing the FAI schedule here. IMO manufacturer's recommendations are to be taken w/ a grain of salt. BTW, Futaba says to use only nicad batteries, which we all know is a load of bull.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

ORIGINAL: LuvBipes

Zeeb, for sport and casual aerobatic flying the S3305 centering is fine, were not talking performing the FAI schedule here. IMO manufacturer's recommendations are to be taken w/ a grain of salt. BTW, Futaba says to use only nicad batteries, which we all know is a load of bull.
I told him they were fine in my old Funtana, even tho Bax told me not to use 'em....

Bax won't even okay A123's or LiFE batteries even tho the nominal voltage on those is the same as a five cell NiCD/NiMH so I take what he has to say with a grain of salt, besides the fact that since I had those questions about the Funtana servos, I've jumped ship on Futaba.

I'm not into FAI but when I made the move to gas I went with the Hitec 645's on a 50cc size model which were fine at the time, now my IMAC birds get big digitals.....
Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Zeeb, I here what you're saying re Bax, I suppose that like everybody he "has to follow orders"

I like to keep my RC budget under control, perhaps because I spend too much on my other hobby (motorbikes), so I always try to find equipment that will get the job done safely at the least possible cost. Spending upwards of $100 bucks on a servo just feels wrong, tho I know I'm probably in the minority on that one.... I've been flying for decades and still fly the odd pattern contest. I'll settle for a servo whose resolution matches that of my thumbs, anything greater is wasted precision.

Emil, re batteries, just a head's-up. Since I sent you Tower's way and mentioned NIMHs, let me warn you off their Hydrimax batteries. I've tried several and mine didn't ever hold even close to the stated capacity. Go to Batteries America or some other reputable supplier and get the new ENELOOP batteries, they're great. http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage8.htm