Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

F-15 crash

Old 03-23-2011, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-15 crash

Guys:
I am a full scale pilot, Airframe and Powerplant and avid RC enthusiast. I have worked on full scale jets for 22+ years. I have seen a lot of mishaps crashes etc. in those years as well. Is it just me or is something just a little "fishy" about the F-15 wreck in Libya? Here are my questions. Maybe you can fill in some info.

1. CNN and USA today reported that the crew ejected from "High" altitude and that one crewman was rescued by a V-22 Osprey. The other crewman was rescued by the rebels and both pilot and weapons officer are back in American hands. (Great news).

now for the meat of my post.

2. I dont know how many of you have been to or witnessed a plane crash. But when planes impact the ground the dont stay in one piece. If you look at the F-15 it is relatively intact and the ordinance was laying on the ground nearby or still attached to the hardpoints on the wing. The left rudder is broken midway down, and the engine turkey feathers are nozzled for high speed (not in afterburner). I might buy a flat spin synopsis but the fuselage is not pancaked.

3. Ifwe dont have people on the ground, how did a V-22grab the pilot? We are not exporting these assets (V-22) yet and the only branches that own them are the Marines and the airforce.

Well there it is. What is your theory?

Just asking as inquiring minds want to know.

Regards
Glenn Williams
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F-15 crash

How about "Friendly Fire" or is such a question ultra vires?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 AM

The story claims that it was not shot down, but had a mechanical failure.

Glenn
Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As a former helicopter flight engineer working search and rescue when I was active duty I've seen full scale crashes. If the airplane goes into a flat spin most of the wreckage will remain in one area just like the picture shows. As for the V-22 questions - they fly with more than just pilots on them. There are crewmembers who can exit the aircraft and grab the the crash survivors (or otherwise) and drag them back to the V-22.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 AM

All: I forgot to mention. I am also prior service military and worked directly on the V-22 Osprey program when I was with Bell Helicopter. I am very familiar on how the V-22 is crewed. My point is. Why is that V-22 there, If we have no American troops on the ground. Combat radius of the V-22 is pretty good but not "THAT" good. Bear in mind the V-22 can be on any number of ships etc.

However back to the subject at hand the F-15.

Glenn
Old 03-23-2011, 06:26 AM
My Feedback: (7)

I was under the impression that the F15 had been retired. So my question is why was there an F 15 in the first place? Am I missing something?

Brian
Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 AM

Lots of things can happen in a crash & all the wreckage suggest is that the plane came down pretty flat. No one is going to send in ground attack planes without a SAR plan.

With no troops on the ground a V-22 with its speed makes a lot more sense then a much slower helicopter.

The F-15 is not out of service except for some older National Guard "A" models. The one that went down is an F-15E Strike Eagle ground attack version not the single seat F-15C air superiority fighter.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 AM

I can not intelligently address the crash. But do you not think that with A/C in the air, we just might have rescue craft in the air! The CV-22 can dart the several miles it would need to go with out effort. I am sure they do not wait in a ready room for a rescue call to come in. Plus the fact that we do not want our men and women to fall into enemy hands, especially that nut!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM
My Feedback: (65)

I believe the V-22 came off the USS Kearsarge, an amphibious assault ship off shore of Libya. They flew with, I believe, a 12 man marine assault force to rescue the pilot. The other crew member was found by opposition rebels and turned over to a follow-onrescue group.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the F15E I believe. A relatiely new wjet iin the Air force inventory. I believe they came online during the 1st Gulf War
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
My Feedback: (3)

The media, and definately the American people, know only about 10% ofthe truth.

Apply that law to 99.9% of what you read and see and you'll hit it on the bullseye 100% of the time.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.military.com/news/article...=airforce-a.nl
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
My Feedback: (109)

a mid-air collision with a forced landing?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

just like the frist gulf war when a navy pilot went missing Captain Michael "Scott" Speicher they didnt find his body or plane until much later ,they knew where it was with all the tec they have it wasnt worth it for them what a shame, the f-15 looks like it made a crash wheels up landing they look like they got separted some how thank god they got rescue or did they the gov lies about everything and what the he are we doing there anyways the people there hate us , as like the mideast people do, jmo!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5204818.shtml
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Australia had Mirage III fighters in service years ago. Standard procedure on those in any serious emergency, including engine failure, was bail out.

At least one continued on it's own merry way & landed relatively intact without a pilot.

Could be the same situation? - John.