Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

fuel tubing

Old 03-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tubing

What type of tubing are you guys using for the clunk line on your gas planes? I have some tygon on mine and it is too stiff to follow the fuel around. When the tank gets low the tubing sticks out of the fuel on down lines and the engine runs lean or dies. Thanks, Matt.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fuel tubing

Viton. Although if you keep fuel in the tank between flight outings the Tygon does not get stiff as fast.

Regards, Richard
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also using fuel without ethanol will help keep the clunk tubing from getting stiff.

Regards, Richard
Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Seemed too stiff from the get go. I don't keep it fueled because it stays in my house. Where can I get Viton and will neoprene work?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: chewy

What type of tubing are you guys using for the clunk line on your gas planes? I have some tygon on mine and it is too stiff to follow the fuel around. When the tank gets low the tubing sticks out of the fuel on down lines and the engine runs lean or dies. Thanks, Matt.
I just asked this question a few weeks ago on another forum and got some useful answers. Here is a good link that was sent my way.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10102189

In tanks for 50cc and above engines I usually use the standard 1/8" Tygon or 1/8" Viton and have always had good luck with these. Hayes neoprene line was popular for awhile but recent batches have tended to go to pieces in some of the exotic gas mixes we have these days. FYI, when new, Tygon seems just a bit more flexible than Viton for same size line.

For smaller tanks, I'm now using 3/32" Tygon that has a 3/64" wall thickness. This line is about the same size as standard glo fuel line and flexes very well with standard clunks in short tanks. It is available like all lines from McMaster Carr and their p/n is 5552K22 at about $.70 / foot. You will have to heat the ends of this line with a heat gun (don't overheat) to slide it on your tank and clunk fittings. I still use standard 1/8" Tygon for all exterior lines in the plane. Hope this helps some.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Tygon works but it needs to be replaced every year. Don't get hooked on the "big" fuel line diameter as the gassers don't use all that much fuel, 1/8" is plenty. Be aware that not all yellow fuel tubing is Tygon, the real stuff has white printing on the side and I don't remember it exactly but 4040F comes to mind. All the cheap Chinese copy stuff doesn't have any lettering on it so it's pretty easy to tell.

Pay attention to Truckracer's post and check out the link he provided.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Tygon works but it needs to be replaced every year. Don't get hooked on the ''big'' fuel line diameter as the gassers don't use all that much fuel, 1/8'' is plenty. Be aware that not all yellow fuel tubing is Tygon, the real stuff has white printing on the side and I don't remember it exactly but 4040F comes to mind. All the cheap Chinese copy stuff doesn't have any lettering on it so it's pretty easy to tell.

Pay attention to Truckracer's post and check out the link he provided.
Zeeb,

You are correct on the Tygon # .... F4040A . For Chewy, here is a McMaster Carr link to all their F4040A lines.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tygon-f-4040-a-tubing/=bli769

I also forgot to mention that all gas fuel lines should be secured with nylon ty-wraps or something similar.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM
p39
My Feedback: (5)

you can also get an aftermarket heavier clunk...
Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM

i have been known to install a heavy nut on the line before the clunk then slide the nut over the clunk nipple and hold with a zip tie
Old 03-26-2011, 06:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I was cutting firewood a while back and noticed the fule tube inside the tank of my Stihl chainsaw. I have had the saw for about 10 years and usealy leave fule in the tank when I'm done cutting. The hose is still very supple andhas ahigh flow fuel filter molded onto the end. You can find themonAmazonbutI couldn'ttell how big they were so I just went to my local saw shop. I paid about eight bucks butit was worth it.</p>