Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Giant Scale P-40 ARC by Lance Machining & Manufacturing >

Giant Scale P-40 ARC by Lance Machining & Manufacturing

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Giant Scale P-40 ARC by Lance Machining & Manufacturing

Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale P-40 ARC by Lance Machining & Manufacturing

Looking for info about this P-40. I picked it up this past weekend at a swap meet and want to know if anyone has any info about it.
I have the invoice and bought it from the guy who bought it new in 1986 and paid $295.00 for it back then, before the China invasion. He said back in the day it was a top of the line kit.
Here's the Specks: Wing span 91", Wing area 1370 sq. inches, Length 75", Weight 17-19 lbs, engine gas or glow (the instruction sheet shows a G-38) which mounts to a ply box.
The fuselage has foam that has balsa sheeting up front and balsa stringers to the rear. The tail feathers are balsa. The wing has a foam core with center balsa sheeting, balsa leading and trailing edges with balsa cap strips
and balsa wing tips, 4 1/16 inch ply spars 2 top and 2 bottom and it has fixed gear.

Here's my concern, the wing halfs have a ply block 1/2"x3"x4" that get notchec into the wing at the leading edge to cap off the gear area, other than that you make sure of the wing dihedral is ok and epoxy the 2 wing halfs together.
After it dries the center section get fiberglassed with 6" wide glass cloth. Will this wing hold-up without a wing tube or ply dihedral brace? The 4 /1/16" ply spars just butt up to one another.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.
Bill

Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Giant Scale P-40 ARC by Lance Machining & Manufacturing

That sounds like pretty typical construction from that era. The fiberglass will add quite a bit of strength. I'd try a DLE 55 for power, haha.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yea, the power was a bit low I thought too. The Yellow Aircraft P-40 is only 85 inch and has two hardwood joiners to help keep the wings together. I don't know about other kits. But if it really has a weight of 17-19 lbs, I would think a good epoxy job and good glass work should be OK. Just fly it scale.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARC = Almost Ready to Crash?