Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 ELECTRONICS SETUP on GAS PLANE >

ELECTRONICS SETUP on GAS PLANE

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

ELECTRONICS SETUP on GAS PLANE

Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELECTRONICS SETUP on GAS PLANE

I have been flying nitros for about 5 years now and will now be making my first foray into the "GAS" Chamber. Can anyone give me some help on setting up a 29% ultimate with a brison 3.2? The control surfaces, engine, and servos were installed by the previous owner and look to be in great shape! All this discussion of multiple batteries, switches, chokes, voltage blah blah blah is like greek to me. What do I need to get to make sure it doesn't crash without me helping it? I use a DX7 for my TX.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ELECTRONICS SETUP on GAS PLANE

there is no great mystery involved. Just remember that the heavy duty servos require quite a bit more current than the standard servos we use in our smaller glow planes. I have found that good switches with heavier wire leads and hd extensions are a necessity. I am having good luck with A123 batteries and they do not require a voltage regulator. NiMH batteries will work well if they have enough capacity. You could run 2 6 volt (5 cell) 2000 packs and feel comfortable on this size plane. Remember you will also need a 4.8 volt battery for the ignition on the engine. A decent 1200-2000mah NiMH will be fine for this, along with a good quality switch. A simple system if you want to use NiMH batteries would have two battery packs, with two hd switches going to the receiver. Then you would separately have a 4.8 pack and switch for the ignition system.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the reply,

1. Where do I find A123 batteries and do I need a special charger for them. Do I need two of them and what size?
2. How do the batteries plug into the Rx (with a y cable?) or do they need to be wired in separately somehow?
3. What are some "good" hd switches to get? Would I need 3, (1 for each rx battery and 1 for the ignition)?
4. I am running a dx7, do I need a special Rx for this plane?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:32 AM
My Feedback: (53)

I would reconsider your radio choice. Go to the DX8 with the upgrade, of Futaba. I personally have seen Many Problems with DX5-6-7. All problems
occured on 6volts, not 4.8. Check out this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oayR6s3ugFE

Chris923
Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 AM

Good advice, what controller are you using?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM

I only fly Futaba now, as with the guy in the vdeo, I only use spektrum in indoor foamies.

Chris923
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM

If you are going gas, Futaba 8 or 10. The 8's can be up graded by computer to expand the channels past 8 to at least 16.

I have super 9c, and a 10c

Chris 923
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM

Thanks Chris. I will look into getting one.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: chris923

I would reconsider your radio choice. Go to the DX8 with the upgrade, of Futaba. I personally have seen Many Problems with DX5-6-7. All problems
occured on 6volts, not 4.8. Check out this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oayR6s3ugFE

Chris923
I have a DX7 that I purchased with three extra receivers. Ones in a 1/4 scale BUSA Cub and ones in a 1/3 scale Fokker D-VIII. Both have been flying flawlessly for two seasons now. I only fly with 4.8 this goes for ignitions too. I have yet to have any problem what so ever. I've heard the horror stories with the DX8, but I can tell you truthfully the DX7 is a nice radio for the price. Oh, I've got a scratch built foamie P-51 witth the Spektrum 6110e receiver on the DX7 that has yet to give me a problem either.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:28 AM

[/quote]
I have a DX7 that I purchased with three extra receivers. Ones in a 1/4 scale BUSA Cub and ones in a 1/3 scale Fokker D-VIII. Both have been flying flawlessly for two seasons now. I only fly with 4.8 this goes for ignitions too. I have yet to have any problem what so ever. I've heard the horror stories with the DX8, but I can tell you truthfully the DX7 is a nice radio for the price. Oh, I've got a scratch built foamie P-51 witth the Spektrum 6110e receiver on the DX7 that has yet to give me a problem either.
[/quote]

What receiver do you use for the 1/4 scale and 1/3 scale?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okie dokie...........as for the radio, I have my GP Ulti with a Brillelli 46 hanging up front that is set up with an AR6200 and I fly it with my DX6i. Never, not not a single time, have I had any problems with it. I have 3 planes on that particular tx and the AR6200 receiver in each. I have a friend I fly with that has a 110" YAK set up with his DX7 and I think he's using an AR9000 with not a lick of problem. Let's not start the which tx is better war. If you're interested in staying with giant scale, then you should perhaps consider a tx upgrade, but it isn't something you absolutely need right now. When I went from my 160 Ultimate to 50cc, I choose to upgrade to the 9503.

My bipe is set up with a single Lipo on the rx. I'm using a 7.4 2600 for the rx and a 1550 single cell for the ignition. This way I don't need a regulator for the ignition and I use a Fromeco Sahara regulator on the rx side. This plane has the JR switch which has not been a problem but I have had another one with the same switch that did fail and I lost the plane. A switch is one place not to scrimp.

My 50cc plane has dual batteries but even then it's not necessary. My first 50cc only had a single rx battery. The only reason I added one to this new plane is because it's cheap insurance should one system fail. If you have one battery, you'll only need one switch.

Hope that's of some help. Have fun with that new plane. A bipe is a lot of fun to fly.
The following users liked this post:
jeep36 (03-19-2021)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read this

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...tm.htm#8673009
Dan
Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM

And this.

http://www.rcaer.com/userfiles/file/...20Aircraft.pdf

Using any other type of batteries other than NiCads is a waste of time and money. In fact, it will reduce your reliability factor by a significant amount. Dan.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

And this.

http://www.rcaer.com/userfiles/file/...20Aircraft.pdf

Using any other type of batteries other than NiCads is a waste of time and money. In fact, it will reduce your reliability factor by a significant amount. Dan.
Thanks for the input. What batteries and voltage regulator would you run?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:03 AM

I use a four cell pack of 1500mah NiCad batteries for my receiver and one more pack for my ignition. No regulator is required because that is what the electronics are designed for. If you start adding regulators, battery combiners, power distrubution boxes, etc. you will reduce the reliability of the airborne pack. Don't listen to the BS you get on RCU. All those added components are not necessary. All you need is a good set of Nicads that are well maintained and monitored. Just to show you I know what I am talking about here is an image of me and a couple of my planes. I design my own planes. They are powered by Brison 3.2s and weigh around 20 pounds. I use all Futaba electronics and nothing else. I hope you are as successful as I have been. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15964.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1590609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97105.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1590610  
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Nice airplanes. Poor attitude toward other power systems.

A123's, no regulator required and charge in 10 minutes. Only possible downside is you need a charger capable of handling that chemistry.

I run 1 2200 pack in all my 50cc planes, one switch, and an optical kill on the ignition.

Edit: that's what works for me, there's plenty of other ways to do it.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Thanks Dan. What Nicd packs do you use and where do you get them? Is it the Futaba pack?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Don't listen to the BS you get on RCU.
So...I'm kinda curious....

I have pictures of me posing with my airplanes...

Heck...I even have pictures of them flying....

In fact, I not only build and design my own airplanes as well, but I've begun teaching my son to do so as well...

Heck...I even hope you have as much success as I have!

So I'm not quite sure what makes the fact that all the airplanes pictured above run LiPo batteries "BS".

Maybe it's because mine are built lighter?

<br type="_moz" />
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: REDZILLA

Thanks for the reply,

1. Where do I find A123 batteries and do I need a special charger for them. Do I need two of them and what size?
2. How do the batteries plug into the Rx (with a y cable?) or do they need to be wired in separately somehow?
3. What are some ''good'' hd switches to get? Would I need 3, (1 for each rx battery and 1 for the ignition)?
4. I am running a dx7, do I need a special Rx for this plane?

try troy built models for switches and A123's you can use a wolverine switch for example it has double switches and jacks built into one

DX7 i would say use 6 volts for the RX

valleyview RC has nice switches to . you could run a ignition eliminator also if you want to cut some weight they basically substitute the ignt battery
Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: gboulton

Don't listen to the BS you get on RCU.
So...I'm kinda curious....

I have pictures of me posing with my airplanes...

[img][/img]

Heck...I even have pictures of them flying....

[img][/img]

In fact, I not only build and design my own airplanes as well, but I've begun teaching my son to do so as well...

[img][/img]

Heck...I even hope you have as much success as I have!

So I'm not quite sure what makes the fact that all the airplanes pictured above run LiPo batteries ''BS''.

Maybe it's because mine are built lighter?

[img][/img]

<br type=''_moz'' />

great looking EDGE 540 ?

always loved smoke I'm woudering if you make your own smoke or buy it ?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Nice planes Mr. Boulton. I'm glad the LiPos are working out for you.

NiCad’s have a very nice failure mode. They fail as a short circuit and usually one cell at a time. That means if you are using a four cell pack and one of the cells becomes a short circuit, you wind up with a three cell pack. All Futaba equipment work on three cells. The servos slow down and some range is lost but you should be able to detect the drop in voltage when you measure your battery voltage prior to the next flight. In fact the battery fail safe in the Futaba receivers is set to 3.8 volts.

I do believe that LiPos fail as an open circuit. That is equivalent to turning off your switch. Besides that, I treasure my plane, house, car and anything else where LiPos may reside to use them.

Thank you Mr. Moderator. My attitude was developed after analyzing the trash my flying buddies where bringing back to the pits. I could not believe the failure points they were adding to their planes. And according to them, "I lost it!".

Redzilla, the NiCad’s are from cermark.com.. They use Sanyo batteries which are the same ones that Futaba uses. Their part number is 4KR-1500AUL.

Dan.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM
My Feedback: (84)

The info missing from the video link that Chris923 posted is at that particular field if you fly often enough you will get hit using DMS2. Also missing is the fast that he was using TX telemetry and had no brown out of power, DMS2 is location sanative! The pilot has used both Futaba and DMS2 equipment and is flying everyday for several hours a day. If you do not believe me you are welcome to come out and try flying at our field with DMS2. I have not tested the new DMSX at this field because I sold all my DMS2 (except for BNF foamies) I would guess that the DMSX is not going to work at our field. Since I lost a bunch of money on DMS2 and one plane, I am never going back.
Guys, it is not the power system, you cannot keep blaming the installation. I would fly any of my Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics 2.4 systems on a 4.8 Nicad with complete confidence. Power systems are great and just use what works for you and a system that you maintain and trust. The video shows exactly want can happen with the DMS2 system. He was the only pilot at the field so it is not the over 40 user issue that the DMSX is supposed to fix. Very good video.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
My Feedback: (84)

gboulton, is the smoke from your Lipo's? Just kidding...GREAT plane
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: REDZILLA

[/quote]

What receiver do you use for the 1/4 scale and 1/3 scale?
[/quote]
I got three AR7000 receivers when purchasing the DX7. I thought that was a good deal for $310.00
Old 04-07-2011, 12:59 PM

I have to admit, if I ever need entertainment I know where to come. This is better than any movie! We have comedy, analysis, fights and irony. We just need some blood and we would have it all! Maybe the blood will come when I start my plane up for the first time. [X(]

Thanks for all of the input guys!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.