Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

G.P. Yak

Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G.P. Yak

Due to health issues,I was laid up most of the winter , I had a local long time Giant scale flyer assemble my G.P.Yak. I just got it back from him and was going over it, just making sure every thing was tight and checking it out.
I should mention it has a 43 Fuji engine and a Dx7-7000 radio.
I pulled the cowl and found he had mounted the throtle & choke servo's on the engine box and used metal rods as linkage. He did install RX filters on the servo leads by the rx.also the rx and satalite and battery packs are mounted in velcro not foam padded. every thing was done neatly and looks good.
This is my 1st 1/4 scale plane with gas engine so I dont know how much of a problem this is or isn't.
I know this guy for many years and seen him fly. His planes look and fly great. I did talk to him about my issues and he said 2.4 don't hear the noise and the rf filters would take away any noise the servo amplifiers pickup. He said all his planes were assembled the same way,and said he would test fly it for me .
Do I have anything to worry about? if so let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G.P. Yak

2.4 is supposed to immune from "electrical noise", however I prefer not to take any chances. Isolate metal pushrods with a nylon/plastic clevis etc. On a gasser I always use foam rubber for the RX and battery. Maybe not necessary, but why take a chance?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Don't ever depend on a radio frequency device to be immune from radio frequency interference.
2. There is no such thing as a perfect RF filter or shield.

Layout the electronics properly and enjoy flying the plane for a long time. I bet it will accelerate your recovery. I'll try to insert some reading material for beginers to gas. Dan.

http://www.rcaer.com/userfiles/file/...20Aircraft.pdf

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...tm.htm#8673009
Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would disagree that it is immune. Theres a couple of guys here quite awhile back that had rf issues due to setup. Its still good to use standard separation practice. However, I know several guys that put servos on the engine box without any troubles. If he has examples that he flys regularly, I wouldnt be too concerned. It obviously works for him.
Edwin
Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Edwin, here's a little missive I put together on this subject. Once again, it's good to hear that those guys have been successfull violating good RF layout techniques. It is still not an advisable thing to do. Dan.

Your engine generates a spark around 100 times a second. Each one of those has the potential of containing radio frequency components that fall within the band that your radio is operating on. They radiate around the ignition system as an electromagnetic field and are conducted within all its wires going to and from its batteries and spark plug. By bringing the control wire to the switch from the receiver you violate all the advice from the radio manufacturer to isolate the radio components from the ignition system by eight to 12 inches or as much as possible. It is possible to pick up this RF through conduction and radiation. A lot of the guys ignore that by doing what is convenient or less expense and get away with it. This gives them a sense of security that is very false. This is good because I hate to see guys go in but all you need is a few seconds of sparks that are on your frequency and you will lose control. A ground check is also irrelevant because those nasty few sparks on your RF may not occur at that time.