Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Foamies hogging the runway ? >

Foamies hogging the runway ?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Foamies hogging the runway ?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foamies hogging the runway ?

There is a guy over on "Giants", who is making a case about foamies hogging the runway. Yes, we do have a similar problem here at our field. You can come out on a Sunday morning, and find 6 or more of them circling, or flying 3D within the width of the runway. They land briefly, stick in another battery pack, and fly again, over and over , and over again. It has come to a point where the guy with a giant scale aircraft finds it impossible to take off and fly, or is afraid to fly. Our club here is also looking for a solution ? No wiseass answers please. It seams like the electric foamie, and giant scale at our field have become incompatible. Are you seeing the same at your field ?

Ed
Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Default RE: Foamies hogging the runway ?

Not so at my field. We mostly fly fuel balsa models and those of us that do have foamies also fly them like aeroplanes and not helicopters
Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Foamies, helis, giant Extra 540's, it all the same. If you have to, deligate certain times for dertain groups to fly. Its no different with WWI and WWII planes, they just dont mix.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I know of one local club that has set up a field for electrics one for gas/nitro and one for heli's. I know most do not have that luxury. I do not fly at a club field so I don't have the problem or really know of a good solution. I fly at a private 50 acre sod farm.

If they are hogging up a small space in the middle of the field I would suggest to them to move to one end of the other and let some other people get some flying in or bring it up at the next club meeting. I keep thinking about joining a club but stories like this keep me 2nd guessing that thought.
Anthony
Old 04-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Very simple. Make everyone "fly the pattern" like the 40 size, 60 size, 90 size 120, 180, 1/5th scale. 1/4 scale and Monster scale planes fly.
or
Similar to a number of events, they set aside 15-20 minutes for foamies, 3-D, gaggles, warbirds, free fly, etc.
Bottom line, the "membership should invite all flyers to several meetings to discuss that the field is for everyone".
or
Ask each other if you can get your type of plane 15 minutes with others similar planes.

Any club that gets some strong members elected who will dictate to the masses, will start the destruction of the club and field!

Discuss what each type of aircraft group needs; work something out. Do not threaten to destroy each other's planes and lose the field for everyone.
Stay loose, help each other, remember that you are in a community of flyers, and that you need everyone's support to keep your field!

I've seen lots of "pattern", or "IMAC", or "Top Gun Scale" guys go to the field when it's too hot or late or early for the crowds. They protect their planes and investment and if they want the field to themselves, they have to make time to go when others can't or won't go. ( It is a price you have to pay to have the field by yourself.)
I've seen flyers respect the other's needs and give each other time and room to do their own thing.

I belong to a club with over 500 members and we seem to be able to converse with each other and enjoy each others needs with very few problems.
(I didn't say it's perfect, but we keep working at it.)
A number of guys with Giants and I am including several "Top Gun" guys with real expensive warbirds, and some nationally recognized "3-D" and "IMAC" and "Pattern" guys.
Also included are some really young flyers and or parents with trainers and foamies. (Let me remind everyone that some of those people with foamies have all their hobby/entertainment money invested in their much less expensive airplanes as well.) I fly foamies and trainers with these guys and have a couple of warbirds that I am still learning to fly.

It isn't perfect as we really could use another 3 or 4 fields, but we all know that ain't gonna happen.
We've lost several fields over the years and we understand that it is "get along or lose the last one we have!"

We try to enjoy the show, and participate in the categories we can all live with. Some of the "Top Gun, IMAC and Pattern guys have bought foamies and fly with the group.

Solutions;
1-Try to get along with each other and work out some solutions. (No one gets everything they want all the time).
1-a. run some warbird and big bird events if that's your thing. Help with some fun fly's etc.
2-Fight with each other until it breaks out into pandemonium and lose the field.
3-Go buy your own field.
My plan is to win Lotto, move to a more country area, buy 600 acres and fly till I die!

In the mean time, I will to try to fit in. I support many of the club's different flying events.
I even donate some money for awards, toys for tots holiday function, and more as my budget will allow.
I just wish I had more time to do more. But I do make some time to participate in the "Other members" interest.
It's amazing how much the "others" give space to those who try to help them have fun as well!

We belong to a large community with many interest. It's how most of us in Urban areas get to have a flying field.

It's called work at it. I have the good fortune to be able to participate in a club with some dedicated members (Including Board members!)
They are statesmen-do-gooders, with a passion for what we do. They work hard to keep up our safety standards as well as help all facets of our club enjoy our great hobby!

I hope my ramblings help you and others find a thought or two that can help you and your flying "Buddies" solve the issues so that everyone has a chance to have their fun.

Tom Bukaty
Corsair Brotherhood #69
Proud member of the Palm Beach Radio Control Association www.palmbeachrc.com
Past officer of the now defunct "Condors Remote Control Club"
Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

At my club we limit the time one has posession of the freq pin to 20 mins. With 2.4 it's not easy to track but I have a number of times reminded someone of the 20 min rule and have had nobody have issue with it as it is a club rule. We also deem the runway as a no fly zone except for take offs and landings.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Communication, If you all communicate your intentions you will not have any issues. Our club stresses this and it works. We could have a couple of foamies, and a 60 size as well as a 1/3 scale all flying at the same time. just call out what you plan to do.

Cant we all just get along?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

We have a few that like to play in our club as well, myself included on occasion. We encourage them to fly in the center of the "race track" formed by people flying more conventional planes in the pattern? That seems to work ok for us, but we generally don't have more than maybe 6 or 8 guys at the field at any given time. On occasion when the weather is really nice, we may have 20 or more there. Honestly though, I get to fly often enough where when it does get that busy, I enjoy just sitting back and enjoying the show - or instructing. I also subscribe to the idea that if I want the field to myself for whatever reason (there are a few), I'll come when I know the field won't be busy. FWIW
Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 PM
My Feedback: (53)

Ed,

The new president of our club (AN ELECTRIC ONLY FLYER) and his buddies on the board, decided to change the clubs flield rules to allow up to 8 planes in the air at the same time (previous rules
was a limit of 4). In the new 8 plane rule, only 4 can be fueled planes. The problem we have had for serveral years now is that 6 or more electric come out with multiple batteries per
plane and take over the air space for 30 to an hour. If you wish to fly a fueled plane, you now have to ask the eletric guys to stand down. By the time you ask each guy to stand down
more go up. If you don't get there permission, and fly anyway, they get very hostle! There general answer to this is " fly electric and you can fly anytime" or "be green, pass on the gas"!

I have serveral foam planes, but and have 5 warbird gassers too! They want fueled planes to yeild to foam, but won't yeild them selves.

This problem will resolve itself as soon as a gasser makes a low pass thru the hovering foamies at centerline of the field!

Chris923
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Foamies are the least of our worries at the main field I fly from. (they are squishy and most of the guys that fly them crash them pretty fast )

One of the problems we have is the Pattern guys (F3a and IMAC) hogging the flight area. One moment they are flying along in a straight line through the middle of the pattern, the next moment they are pulling up, diving down then flying in the other direction along the same line. Wouldn't be so bad if it was a decent spectator sport but - well - - - It isn't to most.

Of course they like to fly from the middle of the runway too
When they stop their play time, then heli guys like to go fly above that runway instead of in the designated heli area (Luckily the heli guys at our field are all good guys and tend not to fly for very long so it isn't much of an issue - plus heli crashes are decent spectator sport).

Having not flown for a while for health reasons, I had a heck of a time finding time to fly a simple circuit to practice things such as lining up on the runways etc just to get my thumbs working again. It got much easier for me when I figured that I had lots of big planes at home so a mid air wouldn't be too devastating to me. Of course I try to avoid such things but if the mindset becomes one where it doesn't really matter if you have one - they are much less of a worry
Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more foamies circling around the better, I say.
Imagine the excellent precision excercise in trying to take them down with a 50cc or a 100cc.
When you reach the stage you can pretty much chop up every foamie flying at the same time as you are, your accuracy and precision is extremely good !
Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: apalsson

The more foamies circling around the better, I say.
Imagine the excellent precision excercise in trying to take them down with a 50cc or a 100cc.
When you reach the stage you can pretty much chop up every foamie flying at the same time as you are, your accuracy and precision is extremely good !
Luckily Hobbyking / Falcon have cheap carbon props these days so it isn't as expensive as it used to be when using Mejzliks to shred depron.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 AM

Tough problem. When individuals and/or groups do not have respect for others, how to you force them to change? They are probably not the type anyway. Everyone has to share the field, the runway, the pattern. Just because someone is not into foamies, 3D, warbirds, pattern, whatever, doesn't make them a lesser flyer or have a lower priority for flying.

Where I fly, there is a small group that roughly flies like they are in a pylon race using the runway area for fast low passes. They all fly together and they don't fly but maybe 20-25% of the total air time. Easy to work around. They know that they have taken over the field when they fly and they give plenty of time for the rest of us to get our air time too.

We all get along and fly just about everything.

Bedford
Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Good lord.
<div>
</div><div>It's called KINDERGARTEN</div><div>
</div><div>Share things, leave some crayons for the other people, put things back where you found them, don't cut in line, say yes ma'am and no sir, and play by the rules.</div><div>
</div><div>The rest of this is just a bunch of power-man hogwash from people who want to think they're important because they get to tell other people what to do.</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>
Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM

Take turns.  I am happy to put a flight in then wait an hour.  It is better than crashing into a trainer.
A lot of these guys with foamies are new to teh hobby so you need to be tolerant of tehm, the same foame plane in the hands of an expert flies the pattern no problem.
But they all pay dues so they all have the same right to fly, just ask them to stay on the ground for a bit so you can fly your nice scale plane.
Its the same as thirty years ago, I do not want to fly my scale plane when there is a trainer in the air, so I wait.