Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Back in the hobby after 15 years >

Back in the hobby after 15 years

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Back in the hobby after 15 years

Old 04-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the hobby after 15 years

I just got back from flying for the first time in 15 years. To say I was nervous would be a vast understatement. I was petrified. I figured I would remember how to fly as i did have 12 years or so experience before.
It was a long way back for my almost 20 year old Stinger taking about a year with upgrading my old super seven to a T7C, changing all fuel tanks and plumming, installing new battery, not being able to start the engine, and then finally overhauling the carb. Flying again!!!!!!!
I had forgotten a lot more then a lot of people know in this hobby and had a bunch or questions and concerns having been away for so long.
So rather than posting questions that have been repeated on RCU many times I have been searching and reading for over a year to relearn everything.
So thank you to everyone out there whos' posts i have been reading, T.O.M., Rcken, Jedijody, and the list goes on.......
Great to be back.

The Pamster
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40457.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1598435  
Old 04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Back in the hobby after 15 years

thepamster ,
Welcome back and congrats on a succesful re-maiden.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, welcome back.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Hi,

Yes, welcome back to this great hobby!

Just out of curiosity, why did you leave for 15 years? Also, did you find that much changed ??

John
Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 PM

I started dating someone new, moved in with him and put all my stuff in storage. Interests changed. I started playing tennis, which occupied most of my weekend time. I have always loved airplanes so it was always in the back of my mind.
There have been a lot of changes in 15 years especially with batteries. Nicads used to be the norm and mostly 4.8v. Nimhs were just starting out. Lipo? What the heck is a Lipo?  And servos, anything that was over 100oz/in were considered sail winches. And now there is 2.4ghz. and what happened to kits? Well, they are mostly arfs now.

The Pamster