Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Batteries/ Charging - Large Scale Warbirds >

Batteries/ Charging - Large Scale Warbirds

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Batteries/ Charging - Large Scale Warbirds

Old 05-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries/ Charging - Large Scale Warbirds

I'm currently building a Top Flite giant Corsair and assembling a Top Flite Giant P47 ARF.

As recommended I'm installing 2 separate batteries (6V @2700Mah) for the receiver and a separate battery (4.8 v @2700Mah) for the gas engine ignition.

The questions are:

- do I need a separate charge jack for each battery or can I parallel charge the 2 receiver batteries? These are both NiMh batteries.

- what charger are folks using to charge batteries in large scale airplanes? I'm hoping to purchase 1 charger to charge all 3 batteries.

I've been flying 40 and 60 glo size aircraft for some time so large scale in a completely new world for me so any experienced suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary A

Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 PM
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Batteries/ Charging - Large Scale Warbirds

ORIGINAL: arsenaga

I'm currently building a Top Flite giant Corsair and assembling a Top Flite Giant P47 ARF.

As recommended I'm installing 2 separate batteries (6V @2700Mah) for the receiver and a separate battery (4.8 v @2700Mah) for the gas engine ignition.

The questions are:

- do I need a separate charge jack for each battery or can I parallel charge the 2 receiver batteries? These are both NiMh batteries.

- what charger are folks using to charge batteries in large scale airplanes? I'm hoping to purchase 1 charger to charge all 3 batteries.

I've been flying 40 and 60 glo size aircraft for some time so large scale in a completely new world for me so any experienced suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary A

If you can carry the extra weight or need it for balance i would go up to at least 3200mah packs then (depending how much you fly) you should be able to fly all day. I use the Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII. While it will not do all 3 of your batts it will do two at one time. Plus you should not have to charge your ignition batt that often being that not much is pulled from it. Hope this helps and have fun. And you will have so much more fun going to gas from the slimies.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary,
1 Do not charge batteries in parallel.
2 Charge the batteries at 1/10 their rated value for 12 to 16 hours depending on their state of charge when you start.
3 Cycle the batteries once every three months if you are using them on a regular basis.
4 Cycle the batteries once a month if they are not being used.
5 Discard the batteries when their capacity has reduced 20% from their initial value or they are three years old, which ever occurs first.
6 Monitor the batteries frequently at the flying field, preferably before each flight.
The Triton charger is a very good one that will provide you with all the capability you need.
Dan.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

One more thing for the OP; DO NOT charge the two rx batteries at the same time with them still connected to the rx unless you have a charger capable of dealing with what is known as the "common ground issue" and most chargers we use for our hobby stuff won't deal with it. Only a charger which uses what is known as "high side sense" can deal with the common ground issue and those tend to be pretty spendy.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:16 AM
My Feedback: (159)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use and recomend the HITEC MULTI CHARGER X4.It has 4 ports and cancharge lipo life li ion ni cd ni mh and pb. It can charge 4 batteries at the same time.Each can be different type batteries and diferrent voltages.
It is a professional grade balance charger and discharger.