Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Brian Taylor Corsair Build >

Brian Taylor Corsair Build

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Brian Taylor Corsair Build

Old 05-29-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Taylor Corsair Build

Hi All,

I bought a Brian Taylor Corsair plan and parts at last year's BMFA Nationals at Barkston Heath (England) and have finally decided to start the build after visiting the RNAS Museum at Yeovilton and photographing the Fleet Air Arm (FAA) example. Not sure yet whether to build this or US F4U-1A version.

I have started with the tail wheel as I wanted to build a miniature sub structure first to gauge the difficulty of the build. Pictures to follow. For those who like to see quick progress, this is likely to be a long slow build.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:36 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Brian Taylor Corsair Build

Mate, Any Corsair build is great fast or slow. Take your time. I'm in. Dan.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look forward to seeing your build. Started on a 1/6 F4U-1A scratch group build 3 years ago and finally getting close to going beyond the tail retract and main wheel. Been doing lots of research, the results of which makes me believe that the BT kit is the closest to scale of the available kits. The group has mostly dessolved and I plan on starting a new thread once I finallize my full scale drawings.

Scott
Old 06-04-2011, 12:30 PM

I would welcome advice on whether to make the tail wheel oleo functional or not. I note that most of those that I have seen constructed thus far have a soldered joint at the front end of the upper arm and seem to rely on the "springyness" of the G10 (printed circuit board) and flexing of the oleo for suspension. My concern is that the soldered joint doesn't appear particularly robust in this regard. I could of course introduce a separate hinge pivot for the upper arm and rely on the full functioning of the internally sprung oleo - although every additional piece of metalwork/complexity at the back of the model will need appropriate ballast weight at the front to balance.

Brian Taylor's original design is for a rigid thin ply structure and false oleo for weight saving. Grateful for any experience of operating with the rigid v flexing versions.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:57 PM

I am going with an oleo style using an aluminum shaft. No need for steel. You do have to make it pivot at the top as well, or it will bind. I think it's worth the weight. Better than having to make repairs after a hard landing. Below is the one I made. I plan on remaking it to look a bit more scale now that I have a CNC router. Next time, I might try a two spring setup. A stiff spring to take heavier loads, and a longer lighter spring that will collaps under the weight of the plane itself, to give the plane a more scale stance when on the ground. Of course this means the same would need to be done to the mains, or it would only exagerrate and incorrect stance.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44701.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1619042  
Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Scott,

Thanks for the picture. Are the 2 arms able to hinge separately at the front edge (by the "crocodile clip")? This is the joint where most that I have seen are soldered such that the upper arm has to flex under load to allow the oleo to compress against the spring.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM

Yes.

I'll take a couple more photos.

Here's more

Scott

Name:	jh17056.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1620305   Click image for larger version

Name:	zu64281.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1620306   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb75474.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1620307   Click image for larger version

Name:	bu58722.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1620308   Click image for larger version

Name:	yj64514.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1620309   Click image for larger version

Name:	ar10828.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1620310   Click image for larger version

Name:	ik90666.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1620311   Click image for larger version

Name:	ec99438.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1620312  

Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM

If you build it this way, I would suggest that instead of the brass angles and washers soldered to them, make them one piece out of brass and use a small brake to make your own. as you can see, I've yet to hinge the cylinder to the top plate. Actually, I will be building a new one to be more scale and to encorporate the above suggestion. I'll have to design a set and see if I can cut it out with my new CNC router.

Scott
Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 AM

Scott,

Many thanks for your patience. Photos are exactly what I needed. Have assembled the first elements of my tail leg and will look to develop hinge system for upper arm this weekend - and build a suitable sprung oleo. Couple of initial photos below

Nigel

Name:	Db85688.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1620698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67407.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1620699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34672.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1620700  
Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 PM

Great progress. Looking forward to seeing your solution.

Scott
Old 12-25-2014, 01:59 PM

Saramos,

Did you ever get your BT Corsair built. Unfortunately other projects/ work etc caused me to put mine on hold. Looking to start up again in New Year. Having second thoughts though about articulation of tail wheel and use of metal,having heard how much nose weight is required to compensate for weight at tail. May start with Brian Taylor's original ply/dummy oleo version and rely on spongy tyre for load absorption..

Thoughts appreciated. Don't want to build in the ply version only to have it survive a few outings before replacement.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 PM

Hi HM,
I don't have a BT Corsair project. This is for a scratch build. I have not worked on the project for quite some time. I suspect that the survivability of a ply version may depend on one's landing skills. Guess I'll stick with the metal version.
I can understand the concerns about weight. There's a lot of plane aft of the CG on a Corsair!

Scott
Old 12-30-2014, 10:17 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello H Mate , i have this kit from BT , and there's two problems to ponder with it.
one is the retracts , the other is the size of the firewall and how much you want to cut the cowl.
good luck with it and have fun