Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Adding reflex on Nosen Citabria >

Adding reflex on Nosen Citabria

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Adding reflex on Nosen Citabria

Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding reflex on Nosen Citabria

Just beginning construction on a Nosen Citabria. I have looked at some posting regarding beefing up the frame for a gas, and ran into a comment regarding adding in reflex. I am certainly a ways away from setting trims on flying surfaces. Thing is, any reason that I can come up with for adding in reflex could also be accomplished by setting the stab incidence correctly. That I can build into fuse frame, perhaps increase stab area. These are build time, not trim time considerations.

Someone familiar with the Nosen and this procedure? Can someone give me a definite reason for the reflex on this plane.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Adding reflex on Nosen Citabria

Not to hijack your thread but what servos do you plan for that plane? A friend gave me an old Nosen trainer with a gasser in the front. Was originally setup for 1/4 scale servos but am thinking we have come a long way and was wondering if i could get away with something in a standard size, but with a higher output.

Thinking it may save me a few $$$ on the servos that way.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM

I have some old JR 9000 series that I will use. Consider splitting the elevator, a servo for each side, just like you'd do with the ailerons. I do use my rudder, so a "biggy" is probably going to be used there. Even with the rudder, a dual servo set up is possible. Take a look at using 6 volts to power the servos, Torque is much higher. I say all these things based on using older analog technology, as this will hold down your costs, as you mentioned. The newer digital servos indicate a much improved startup torque, but you pay for that. Smart use of the old stuff works for me, but my flying style may not be yours, so consider that as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 AM
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: sdad

Just beginning construction on a Nosen Citabria. I have looked at some posting regarding beefing up the frame for a gas, and ran into a comment regarding adding in reflex. I am certainly a ways away from setting trims on flying surfaces. Thing is, any reason that I can come up with for adding in reflex could also be accomplished by setting the stab incidence correctly. That I can build into fuse frame, perhaps increase stab area. These are build time, not trim time considerations.

Someone familiar with the Nosen and this procedure? Can someone give me a definite reason for the reflex on this plane.
You are probably correct in this assumption. There is an older thread on this very topic with the Nosen Citabria.

When building mine years ago and hearing about the huge amounts of down trim required for zero trim level flight, I raised the stab leading edge 1/4". This proved to be perfect for my particular Citabria. I built it box stock and powered it with a Magnum 1.08 2 stroke and used standard servos (not high torque nor metal gears). Flying weight was between 11 and 12 pounds as it was Monokote covered with glassed and painted wood cowl and Sig molded Spacewalker wheel pants.. Flew very scale like including scale aerobatics.

Depending on your flying style this airframe does not need a huge powerplant unless overpowered aerobatics are desired. As fellows used gassers the weight went up due to engine weight and all the beefing of the airframe plus fabric and paint finish.

If I built another I would do the same as my original and use a 20-26cc gasser.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31180.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	1620202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61844.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1620203  
Old 06-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the input, Dick. I am quite obsessed with getting to a scale flight. I am just returning into the hobby after many years, and this Citabria is to become my daily flier. I want to approach as close as I can to a realistic flight envelope for this airplane. This is where vertical manoeuvres are proceeded by a dive because the motor won't pull it. This is the reason that I chose this plane. I will be overstepping things a bit, as I have an A&M 2.0 lying around. I think, though, that I can use a cut down power prop, limit the R's, and get a reasonable airspeed (I'd like about 40 TAS Max). I had thought that 12-15# for gross weight would be where I'd end up.

Photos of the plane are magnificent!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you are on the right track. The fuse front is pretty beefy so little additional is needed there. A thicker firewall may be in order.

The peanut gallery at fly ins used to razz me pretty good the pink color but it drew side comments about how pretty it was. At an IMAA fly in a photographer for their High Flight mag took numerous photos of it but it didn't make the photo gallery...not masculine enough for their pub I guess.

The little girl pictured is my neighbor's then 8 year old daughter just prior to a second open heart surgery to repair a defective valve. She is now a high school senior and Dance Team Captain. Great to see her become an adult after all the childhood health issues.