Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Lanier 35% Giles 202

Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier 35% Giles 202

I just bought the Giles 202 kit. Looking back 5 pages Ido not see any threads regarding this model. Iam not yet ready to start the build as Ihave a Mustang to finish. And Iwas thinking of leaving the 202 for a fall project. Anyway, this will be my first giant scale, first foam core wings, first gasser. Maybe a few other firsts, but those are the biggies. Iwas hoping to see a build thread to get some tips. Iguess any thread with foam wings will work for that part. Ihave been reading up on gassers for awhile plus my club has a few guys with alot of gas experiance. But any advice on which engine to use for this particuler model would be appreciated.
If there is anyone out there who also has this model and would like to share a build thread just lemme know. I could probably be convinced (just say the word) to start the build around August 1st versus later in the fall.
And if anyone has some pics to share that would be very cool also. See ya.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:02 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lanier 35% Giles 202

Steve, Read this;
http://www.rcaer.com/userfiles/file/...20Aircraft.pdf
and this;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...tm.htm#8673009
Dan.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.gsal.org/reviews/lanier_35.htm
Do a search for Lanier Giles and you'll find some info. This kit hasn't been made for several years, so I doubt there is much newer talk about it on the forums.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Dan, that first link is gone.  But the second link is a very good tool.  Thanks.

Texas,  my kit actually came with that review in print form.  I read it yesterday.  I  will definatly refer back to it when I start the build.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, Try again on the first link. I can still get it. Dan.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Lanier Giles is a great flying plane. I had one that was built by a very experienced modeler who still used silk and dope for finishing. It was built stock, powered by a Zenoah Z-445 win. It weighed slightly over 30 pounds and flew like a scalded dog. Would not hover but did not lack in other performance.

This airframe can be built lighter if you choose to do so however it won't get near today's 3D ARFs but it won't be as fragile either. With film covering I think 25-26 pound flying weight is realistic which is about the same as my 85cc powered Hangar 9 Sukhoi (the orignial one).

It is a good airframe, strong and different from today's must have ARFs.

I sold it to a friend who took down two large power lines on a long, low approach. Destroyed the airplane but it illustrates how strong it was!

I have another NIB along with Lanier 33% Staudacher, Extra 300, Laser 200 plus a 40% Staudacher. Great kits, snagged them cheaply when Tower was blowing them out.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

I built one a few years ago and lightened it up a bunch. It was 21 lbs with a 3W 70 twin. I think with moderate work and with todays engine/electronics tech you could easily get it in at 23-24# with an 80cc single. Be careful because mine was so nose heavy I had to put a 2000 mah nicad RX battery all the way in the tail. If I was to build another I would lengthen the fuse about 4-5" to help balance and improve flight performance.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Great info.  Thanks fellas.  I have a week in Jamaica and when I get back I still have to finish my Stang.  But I see myself moving toward getting the shop ready for this build.  I always get this way when I have one in the box.  I say I will wait but I never do. 
I was also able to open that first link.  I went ahead and printed it out just in case. 
Old 03-12-2012, 03:34 PM
My Feedback: (35)

stevenmax50, did you ever get a start on building this plane?

I just picked up one of these kits that needs some minor finish work and then is ready to cover covered.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Giles 202 cg?

Originally Posted by stevenmax50
I just bought the Giles 202 kit. Looking back 5 pages Ido not see any threads regarding this model. Iam not yet ready to start the build as Ihave a Mustang to finish. And Iwas thinking of leaving the 202 for a fall project. Anyway, this will be my first giant scale, first foam core wings, first gasser. Maybe a few other firsts, but those are the biggies. Iwas hoping to see a build thread to get some tips. Iguess any thread with foam wings will work for that part. Ihave been reading up on gassers for awhile plus my club has a few guys with alot of gas experiance. But any advice on which engine to use for this particuler model would be appreciated.
If there is anyone out there who also has this model and would like to share a build thread just lemme know. I could probably be convinced (just say the word) to start the build around August 1st versus later in the fall.
And if anyone has some pics to share that would be very cool also. See ya.
. Would any one know where I could find the cg for a Giles 202 35% 90 wing span not sure how to use this site and Im new to flying any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:39 PM
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

CG for almost all giant Lanier kits is center of the wing tube. Wing tube width is the recommended CG range to start out.. Adjust for preference of flying style.