Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Aeroworks 50cc Ultimate wing failure >

Aeroworks 50cc Ultimate wing failure

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Aeroworks 50cc Ultimate wing failure

Old 06-27-2011, 07:01 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroworks 50cc Ultimate wing failure

Well I am going to let the cat out of the bag here. I had a wing failure on the 50cc Aeroworks Ultimate during simple pattern sequence. Watch the little strip of covering that covers the upper wing halfs joint. I noted after a flying session that this little strip of covering would have wrinkles in it as if it had been stretched. I could iron it back down but after the next flying session the wrinkles would be back, I thought it was normal. The aircraft had about 30 flights on it when the upper, I guess the upper, wing failed, both left side wings departed the aircraft in level inverted flight and ALL hardware was intact after the crash. Impact was very hard, bent the crankshaft on the DA, batteries exploded and burned, tank clunch was thrown thru the side of the tank etc.

I fly IMAC / pattern style stuff, no 3D, no high speed snaps.

I took lots of pictures, sent them to Kim @ Aeroworks asking for a new kit under warranty. I guess Aeroworks did all they could, I mean they don't know me or how this aircraft was treated,so they offered 30 % or $210 off of a new kit. I declinde their offer and expressed my integrity as a FAA licensed A&P mechanic was worth more than that. Aeroworks suggested I left some bolts out or loose<- this was the second flight of the day. I my mind taking the 30% would admit that I was lying about the cause of the airframe failure and philosophically couldn't go there.

Anyway , this post is not about Aeroworks warrant but rather a "heads up" on watching those wings and consider carefully before you buy the Ultimate. I have several other Aeroworks mono planes and love them.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Default RE: Aeroworks 50cc Ultimate wing failure

Having an A&P license means you have a gubberment certificate to learn. It means zilch in Model Aviation, and sometimes nothing in full scale. Being an A&P mechanic, are you sure you torqued the wing bolts to the SRM spec? Did you follow all the AD's per manufactures instructions? Was there an NTSB crash investigation? Maybe you should've take AeroWorks offer, its better than nothing. If they did that for every crash, they'd be out of business.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those little hints are easy to overlook. Ihave a Cermark SU-31. I got it second hand and it had a lot of flight time on it. My first flight wasn't so good, couldn't get it onto the runway, Third attempt, I stalled just short and crunched in the cowl and bloke the muffler. Fixed that and my next fly day, Iwent dead stick at about five ft. It was either into a barbed wire fence or try a turn that wasn't going to work, Itried the turn and it stalled, wing it the ground and a couple cart wheels later ripped out the landing gear. Iwas surprised at how well the wing held up Patched the cowl up again, rebuilt the landing gear and fixed a couple torn patches of covering. Next day some of my best landings. Cleaning things with a big smile and I noticed the wing was smiling back. The seam between the halves was winking at me as Iwas wiping the wing down. A closer inspection showed the only thing holding the wing halves together was some shredded balsa on the root ribs. My cart wheel had broken the hardwood joiner and there were cracks in the LE sheeting top and bottom. If Ihad been an aggressive flyer that day, I'm sure my plane would have met the same fate as yours. If the sun hadn't been just at the right spot as I was cleaning up, the next flight or two would have resulted in your planes shoes. Ialso discovered some cracked wood joints in an elevator and one on the rudder while going over everything. Those only showed as little pucker on the covering, but a little tension on the elevator and the pucker would go away. The covering can hide a lot of problems until the catastrophic failure.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

Having an A&amp;P license means you have a gubberment certificate to learn. It means zilch in Model Aviation, and sometimes nothing in full scale. Being an A&amp;P mechanic, are you sure you torqued the wing bolts to the SRM spec? Did you follow all the AD's per manufactures instructions? Was there an NTSB crash investigation? Maybe you should've take AeroWorks offer, its better than nothing. If they did that for every crash, they'd be out of business.

Aeroworks has been having wing failures for years! It was about 4 years ago I was on the phone with them about the wings on my 150cc Extra 260. I was fortunate enough to have not crashed. I followed Aeroworks modification reconmendations as per Mark Dennis as they did have a recall on the wings. After 6 flights all the wing ribs forward of the spar on one wing had split along with the wing top wing sheeting. When I opened up the wings for the second time, I replaced everything forward of the spar and added a second row of shear webbing between the spar and leading edge. When I contacted Aeroworks I was told no warrentee as I was the second owner of the airplane.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Having an A&P license means you have a gubberment certificate to learn. It means zilch in Model Aviation, and sometimes nothing in full scale. Being an A&P mechanic, are you sure you torqued the wing bolts to the SRM spec? Did you follow all the AD's per manufactures instructions? Was there an NTSB crash investigation? Maybe you should've take AeroWorks offer, its better than nothing. If they did that for every crash, they'd be out of business.
Stuka,

In this public forum you certainly have your right to your opinion, that being said, your opinion really has nothing to do with anything as it pertains to my business relationship with Aeroworks or how I view my responsibilities as an A & P mechanic. Furthermore, I thought I made it quite clear I didn't fault Aeroworks in their warrant position in this matter.

In closing ,your juvenile comments about torque values, SRM,ADs and the NTSB of course have no revelance to RC aircraft, but does quantify your point of referance.

Remember Jim Ryan?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: FBaity

Stuka,

In this public forum you certainly have your right to your opinion, that being said, your opinion really has nothing to do with anything as it pertains to my business relationship with Aeroworks or how I view my responsibilities as an A & P mechanic. Furthermore, I thought I made it quite clear I didn't fault Aeroworks in their warrant position in this matter.

In closing ,your juvenile comments about torque values, SRM,ADs and the NTSB of course have no revelance to RC aircraft, but does quantify your point of referance.

Remember Jim Ryan?
You made it "quite clear this is'nt a warranty issue", but you "sent pictures to Kim at Aerowoks asking for a new kit under warranty". Hmm, seems pretty relevant to me, or was that revelant, but thats just my point of reference or was that referance? Whos Jim Ryan?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring back kit building. Then the only person to blame is ones self. Aero-Works may have sold the plane but some person in a Chinese factory built it. In the day of "faster cheaper" is a wing failure really that suprising?

Good heads up for those who have the plane and I applaud you for staying true to yourself after being blamed for the crash.

IMHO

SunDevilPilot
The following users liked this post:
jahatton (06-02-2020)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Default Wing failures in areoworks 50cc ultimate

Well it seems the wing issues continue on the Areoworks 50cc Ultimate biplane.
I just purchased one in this year, 2013 and after about 20 flights the dowels that hold the bottom wing are half worn away and the holes they fit into have grown about 40% in size. Not good and a failure waiting to happen.
This plane has never bee crashed, not even a hard landing and as I am not a hot pilot it is used for IMAC practice and light acrobatics. No high stress, high speed maneuvers as I am not that hot a pilot.
I have stopped flying the plane until I figure out how to correct the stress issues. Pity as it is a great flyer and good fun in the air.
Very hard to believe these issues continue after so many years. Is anyone at Aeroworks listening to customer's field experiences?

This is my first Areoworks plane and I was very impressed with the kit quality but now put on hold any second Aeroworks plane.

While going over the Biplane carefully after noting the failing bottom front wing attachment points I have also noticed that the top wing front metal attachment point is very loose. No idea how to fix this issue without pulling the whole wing center section apart.
Looks like this bird is not flying any time soon.
So much for the new plane experience. Pity I was having so much fun flying this one.

Does any one have pictures of the wing insides? I sure would like to see what is there before I start to cut them open to fix the issues. Will make the work much easier if I know what is where before opening it up.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a long thread about the Ultimate wing failures on F****g G****s.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

LOL, yeap,, that's what we get for letting Kids in China build our models.,, starting to think they design them too.