Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

50% Piper Aerostar

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM
RCflyboy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50% Piper Aerostar

OK guys,

Here We Go.... Its going to be a long eventful task. The team are meeting once a week for the day. Saturday's are the go...... BBQ, Beer and Building.....

The Trestles are set, the plans come back today laminated and the bulding starts on Saturday (for me 2 days time) Andrew is picking up some materials this afternoon.....

She is Big. We have a 4.8m Wingspan expected she will weigh around 20kg but could be off on that one.

Motors - 2 x DLE111 Twin Cylinder's

Electrics - FullAlloy digital coreless servos with a 15kg torque rating - have ordered 4 to fit to another plane to Test them........

Guys i want you involvement........... UPLOAD your Build projects.... Half built planes etcs..... i wanna see what your up to and make this thread about the build not about me.... I Want Your Involvement......

Here We go... Ill be looging on probably every night to chat but yeah..... every step you'll know about.....
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: 50% Piper Aerostar

Sounds like fun! Here is a half built plane for you. Turbo Commander that I started in October 2008. Maybe someday I will finish it?!? Good luck with your project and I will be watching!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81611.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1647302  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:23 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Let the balsa dust fly!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
UltraBob

I flew charter in a 601P back in the late 70's. A nice flying airplane. Fast ( but noisy inside).

Best of luck to you guys. It will be fun to follow your progress.

Bob
Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 AM
UltraBob

Jim Franklin used to do a cool routine in the Aerostar.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Rd0...eature=related
Old 08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
RCflyboy99

Yeah ive done some research on Mr Jimmy (ZAR) Franklin and his flying. The aerostar sounds great at that altitude and speed... All Good Fun.

JETFIXR - That is a sweet build... how long you been doing that one?

Gentlemen start your dremels........................................... ..............................

We have figured that we are going to template every rib and spar out of hardwood.... that way we have one template for each piece and once finished, the templates will go into a box.......

That way if she hits that ground due to a mishap of something, then at least i can use the saying "back to the drawing board" and i have all my templates ready to go again...

Does anyone know if anyone has manufacutured / engineered their own on-board starting system for the DLE 111......

We are playing with the DLE 55 to see if we can make that to start on-board.... (we on the bench at the moment.)

Happy Flying.

Does anyone HAVE A PIPER AEROSATR as a Model????
Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
UltraBob

If I may bring up one point about the full size Aerostar (then I promise I'll shut up)....... And I think this would apply to you guys because of the scale at which you are building.....There was no aileron trim on the airplane and it was quite sensitive to any imbalance in the amount of fuel in each wing tank. And I'm talking as little as 5 to 10 gallons...so you trimmed it in roll by cross feeding.
So I think it would be prudent to pay particular attention to lateral balance of the wings. In other words, weigh OFTEN each wing as the build progresses to insure their weights are equal.

Ok. Shutting up now. Let the fun begin!

Bob
Old 08-12-2011, 07:38 PM
All Day Dan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There were a couple of threads of on board starting devices for DLEs in the RCU forum. I don't know if they are being manufactured. Do a search and get in touch with the designers. Maybe they can help. Dan.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 PM
roncannell

Cool video Bob
Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 PM
RCflyboy99

hahahah no need to shut up Bob.... !!!!!!!!!!

But thats a pretty cool fact!!

what about elevator and rudder? Did it still have conventional trim tabs?

Fuel used as trim, thats pretty cool.

boys have just arrived for the first day of the build......

Now, Music, Beer, BBQ and Building.................... DID I MISS ANYTHING??

Haha ill be back online later tonight to give you the first update! hoping to get all templates cut out and sanded ready for making all the formers and ribs.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 AM
UltraBob

Rudder and elevators had conventional trim tabs. And the rudder and either elevator were interchangeable.....they were identical surfaces. Plus.....the airplane had pushrods and torque tubes....no cables.....virtually no slop in any of the flight controls.

Nose wheel steering was hydraulic via a rocker switch on the center pedestal below the throttles. For me it was easier having my left hand on the throttles and my right thumb on the switch for taxi. You could easily spot a new Aerostar pilot as they appeared quite intoxicated in their relentless search for the yellow center line of the taxi way......

Bob
Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 AM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: UltraBob

You could easily spot a new Aerostar pilot as they appeared quite intoxicated in their relentless search for the yellow center line of the taxi way......

Bob

LOL, that's a good one.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:07 AM
RCflyboy99

Well, that went well for the first night....

Templates nearly done for fuselage. Havent even looked at the wing

Oh well another night....

One thing i have to sort out it this - The Original plans have a FOAM CORE WING

The enlarged plans are obviously still the same. So we arae sitting down next weekend to draw the ribs and spars in where they need to...

Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 AM
AmishWarlord

Less yak, more photos!

I know what you mean by the foam core wings. Hate those things. So many good airplanes plans have been with foam core. LOL just kidding but really I have a 40 size Strikemaster that has to be redesigned because of it's foam core wing. Thank heavens for Compufoil http://www.compufoil.com/index.shtml
Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 AM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

I started the Commander in October of 2008, but I have had some really long breaks from building it. I am hoping to get back on it soon. I thought it would fit right in to this thread since it had the same designer as the Aerostar. Can't wait to see some pictures!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:09 PM
RCflyboy99

Lol.... Alright ill get ay some photos. lol

at this stage..... take a lookt at a piece of ply wood. bahahahaha thats where we are at hahahahahahah.....

We are going to build a baby one at the same time... maybe a few steps ahead of the big one... to iron out any little floors we come across....

so that one will have the standard set up but we are going to build in retracts, flaps, light

and still design a balsa built up wing instead of foam
Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Good luck... sounds like fun.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
RCflyboy99

Guys,
             We have hit rock bottom!!   []

The plans got torn......... Gotta get them enlarged again..............   my fault..............   STTTTTUUUPPPIIDDDDD   Iriot i am....

Sigh well, they are off getting done again..

Meanwhile we are still building the Smaller version to learn off of with retract bays/doors. we have printed the plans on a material instead of paper.

With the big plans we are now doing that as well... so we dont have this problem again.
ill keep you informed. 

slight set back. but another week out of this 2 year project aint going to delay us much.

HEY KNOW ANYONE THAT DOES LARGE RETRACTS???

Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 AM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: RCflyboy99
STTTTTUUUPPPIIDDDDD Iriot i am....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Ir9pKL5zY
Old 08-25-2011, 04:33 AM
AmishWarlord

Um, you know with that scale of plane I think your about over the limit of building on top of full size plans. I don't think the hombuilt airplanes come with full size plans. They come with blueprints and you build the jigging then Measure your parts out. Building over plans is for 1/4 skill craftsmen who can't place 24, 1/8" ribs at 2.75" apart to come out with two 66 1/4" panels.

See if you can build that little one with jigging instead of over planes like a Four Star 40 to get the technique down.

I know this is a boat but a RC airplane fuselage is the same process. You see the plans are just 11x14". You make a jig. The jig is simple but has to measured precisely. Your building with a team so find the most anal retentive bastago of the bunch and have him do the measuring. A simple test is to look at your watch and at 2:58:03PM or so and ask the guys what time it is. Most say 3 oclock. Should be one that will say 2:58. That's your guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnHBuxUpaTg

Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 AM
AmishWarlord

What? No full size plan on that 4x12 plywood table?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfbAd5aab9s

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM
RCflyboy99

Thats nuts..................

Once all our formers are cut out and templated, then we will design a jig around it...  but your right about the time business.......

I reckon Ando is our man for that... he often corrects my approximations..... hahahahahahahah 

EG: i said to him the other day "ah its around 90 degree" he turned and said "no, its 86. something"

Yep Amish, He's our man for that job.... Give him a lump of wood and a tape measure... hahaha.
 Plans are getting back to us soon hopefully, the guy that did them the first time did a medioka kind of job and we were debating getting them redone again..... then i did the woopsy on them anyway. So we have changed printing companies and they want in on the Design build. so they are doing a complete copy and printout for $15.00Aus as Sponsorship.....

Once we get them back and re assess them, and if they are still not as good, We are going to organise them to be sent to LimeyBob for some help.
We want them PERFECTLY ENLARGED.
im not going to be mucking around with this anymore..... 2nd week with dramas already. hahahaha
Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey,

RCF, any chance you might post a few pictures of the original sized plans. I'm quite keen in following your project and would like to see what plans the model will be based on.

David.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 AM
RCflyboy99

yep too easy ill put some photos up now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52155.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1653906  
Old 08-27-2011, 01:53 AM
RCflyboy99

heres a photo of the Fuz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.