Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Pushrods or Cables?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:33 AM
yamaharley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrods or Cables?

Hi,

I'd like as many opinions as possible on what modellers prefer regarding internal control mechanisms.

Pushrods or closed loop cables?

On giant scale models I've noticed all sorts. Some people have their servos mounted right near the tail and use pushrods, and others mount them near the CG and use cables. Iunderstand that it does depend on the type of aircraft being modelled and other factors, but what is the general consensus?

Old 11-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Coxxie

Default RE: Pushrods or Cables?

Cables are the way to go especially with more than one servos required unless you have a CG issue and need some extra weight near the tail. My 5 cents worth...
Old 11-25-2011, 04:47 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Any more, when I'm figuring which to go with, it's a CG issue. I'll have the plane assembled as far as possible prior to making this call, then go with the method that will help balance the plane as much as possible. Too frequently you hear about a pound of lead on the firewall or tail to balance - and find out servo location may have made a considerable difference or eliminated the need all together!!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cables are lighter so less worries about mass inertia issues with 'abrupt arrivals'. Routing cables is the only answer for some aircraft.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:57 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

My last and the two IMAC aircraft are set up with pull pull on rudder and elevator. Control is very positive and it is the lightest way of going about it.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

My current favourite is the method TopFlite use on their warbird kits.

This is to use Sullivan golden rod outer tubes with piano wire pushrods. The piano wire is
supported at about 100 mm intervals with short pieces (about 15mm long) of golden rod inner.
Next to no friction & no temp related problems.

But for me it's horses for courses & I use what's the most suitable.
My last model used arrow shaft pushrods on the elevators, cable on the rudder and direct wire pushrods to ailerons & flaps. - John.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:29 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

My current favourite is the method TopFlite use on their warbird kits.

This is to use Sullivan golden rod outer tubes with piano wire pushrods. The piano wire is
supported at about 100 mm intervals with short pieces (about 15mm long) of golden rod inner.
Next to no friction & no temp related problems.

But for me it's horses for courses & I use what's the most suitable.
My last model used arrow shaft pushrods on the elevators, cable on the rudder and direct wire pushrods to ailerons & flaps. - John.

Boomerang1, You brought up temp related problems, I have a T/F mustang that uses the push/pull you described. I find that when it's cool I have to put up trim, when hot, down trim. I am using the stock 4-40 wire. I know what piano wire is. Are you replacing the stock stuff with piano wire?
Kelly
Old 11-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I've used both methods on my giants, and I have no preference.
Either, when done right, work well.

For smaller airplanes, pushrods are so much simpler and trouble free, not to mention that installing a cable system in a small plane can be a nightmare.

But for giants, as long as you know all of the working properties and vagaries of both systems, just install whatever you want and make allowances for how either works.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Boomerang1, You brought up temp related problems, I have a T/F mustang that uses the push/pull you described. I find that when it's cool I have to put up trim, when hot, down trim. I am using the stock 4-40 wire. I know what piano wire is. Are you replacing the stock stuff with piano wire?
Kelly
Didn't even think about the differnt types of wire. What I meant was wire versus plastic pushrods.
I have a jet with very long wire pushrods of this type (about 4 feet long) & haven't noticed any big
trim changes. I just use the wire from the K&S stand at the LHS as it comes in long lengths.

What colour is your model? If it's olive drab or something it may be getting much hotter inside in the
sun than my white jet. - John.