Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

TMMY Scale Composites 27% (120") Cessna 182 TC Skylane.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

TMMY Scale Composites 27% (120") Cessna 182 TC Skylane.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 06:03 PM
RonTins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm now in a dilemma at this point before I glue the Cessna's elevators into the horizontal stabilizers. There are two Robart hinge pins glued into the leading edge of the elevator halves. I anticipate the plane to weigh in at around 45-47 pounds when it's completed and even though it will be flown in a scale-like manner, I'm a bit concerned that two Robart hinges may not be sufficient.

Any suggestions or recommendations to give a fella stuck in a rut like me?

Old 06-22-2023, 06:15 PM
RonTins

Hello ladies and Gents. I'm in search of a set of 4" main wheels with brakes and a 3.5" wheel for the nose strut. The dimensions of the hole the main axles will insert into should be at least around 7mm with the nose wheel hole being no smaller than 6.5mm. I have a preference for scale so if there are any out there, kindly let me know.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:24 PM
V35BFLYER

I've bought a lot of items over the years from ZY Hobby (contact and converse with "Zoey"). Very helpful and their products are
first rate. If your axle(s) are 7mm, ask her if they can make them with that size ball bearing inserted. Keep in mind that with your
wheelpants, you won't see much of the wheel/tire anyway.

Here------->https://www.zyhobby.com/collections/rubber-wheel-423

Your elevator hinges.....yes, three would make me a bit more comfortable but I don't think there's a flaw in the design, and I don't see
them fluttering, if you were to solder, say, a brass control horn to each rod then make sure the connecting "rod" to each horn is SOLID
and powered by individual high torque (160 oz in. min. each) high voltage servos. I think that the size of the elevators would most-likely
preclude flutter plus you're not going to be flying the plane at high speeds. If you attach everything solidly, I don't think you'll have any
problems. If you're still concerned about the elevators detaching or fluttering, add a third hinge pin in the middle, now.

Also, it's very cool you have an individual servo powering the Elev. trim tab! Tommy thought of everything!
Old 06-24-2023, 06:28 PM
RonTins

Default Response to scale wheels with brakes for Cessna 182

Originally Posted by V35BFLYER
I've bought a lot of items over the years from ZY Hobby (contact and converse with "Zoey"). Very helpful and their products are
first rate. If your axle(s) are 7mm, ask her if they can make them with that size ball bearing inserted. Keep in mind that with your

Your elevator hinges.....yes, three would make me a bit more comfortable but I don't think there's a flaw in the design, and I don't see
them fluttering, if you were to solder, say, a brass control horn to each rod then make sure the connecting "rod" to each horn is SOLID
and powered by individual high torque (160 oz in. min. each) high voltage servos. I think that the size of the elevators would most-likely
preclude flutter plus you're not going to be flying the plane at high speeds. If you attach everything solidly, I don't think you'll have any
problems. If you're still concerned about the elevators detaching or fluttering, add a third hinge pin in the middle, now.

Also, it's very cool you have an individual servo powering the Elev. trim tab! Tommy thought of everything!
Thank you for sharing where you buy some of your parts from. I will call Zoey first thing Monday morning to discuss the wheels I'm after. I also just got done drilling out a third hole in each elevator to glue in Robart hinges. I thing that will hold the stabilizer a lot better.
Old 06-24-2023, 06:31 PM
RonTins

Below are recent pictures captured after gluing in additional Robart hinges in each elevator.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:56 PM
RonTins

Default Elevator servos

My elevators will receive power from two Futaba BLS 175SV servos each capable of producing 291.7 oz of torque at 7.4 volts. The elevator trim tab has a Futaba S3777SV producing up to 36.1 oz at 7.4 volts. This is not what I had hoped for however it is the only servo I could find, small and slim enough to fit in the pocket.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:53 AM
RonTins

My plane unfortunately did not come with finished flap wells so that has been added to the list of items in my bucket list.

Presently working on changing the fowler flap attachment to the skin of the underside of the wings.
I worked on fabricating a base in which the nylon piece of the fowler assembly inserts into a slot which will then be glued into the cutouts in the wings as shown in the pictures below.

Left outboard fowler flap assembly

Left inboard fowler flap assembly

Right inboard fowler flap assembly

Right outboard fowler flap assembly

Right flap well. Considering making flap wells for my wings

Right wing with flap attached

Left wing with flap attached.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:55 PM
RonTins

Originally Posted by Austars
Thanks all for sharing the information
To be clear for the information we collected recently for intl shipping from Thai to worldwide, the customer can contact your local freight broker and see how they charge. It is not cheap. For sea freight to New Zealand, the sea freight cost for 157" Cessna 185 is over $1000 USD which was charged by the freight broker. The production team and Austars only want to help and get the lower cost for you. if you can find a lower cost, just let us know.
Cheers
Teamaustars
Does anyone have Tmmy's new number or way of reaching him?
Old 07-18-2023, 07:24 PM
V35BFLYER

Website - https://tmmy.pantown.com/

Email address for Tommy from April 2021 - "TIRAWIS TERAWANIJ" <[email protected]>

That's all I have for him.
Kim
Old 07-19-2023, 06:29 AM
RonTins

Website - https://tmmy.pantown.com/

Email address for Tommy from April 2021 - "TIRAWIS TERAWANIJ" <[email protected]>

That's all I have for him.
Kim
Thanks Kim. I sent an email about two weeks ago and have had no response yet.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:56 PM
RonTins

I have ordered 3.75" wheels with 8mm axle ball bearing on Ebay to use as the mains and I hope to find brakes that can be fitted to work together but so far I am struggling to find a set. My ideal brake setup will be pneumatically operated and not electric. Are there options out there to consider with the wheel hub where the brake will install on the side and measuring 41mm?

Last edited by RonTins; 07-24-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 06:32 PM
planenutzz

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Guys,
has anybody got access to the info for external nomenclature and internal placards for the 182T? I'm putting together the bigger TMMY 35% 182T and would like to add these details.

thanks
cheers
Peter
Old 08-13-2023, 08:45 AM
P210Nagain

Absolutely gorgeous.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:50 AM
P210Nagain

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty has the actual exterior placards...

Old 08-13-2023, 08:51 AM
P210Nagain

Whoops, I meant interior. They've got those as well!
Old 08-13-2023, 11:55 AM
V35BFLYER

A little off topic, can't help myself....
Saw your screen name - "P210N" and was wondering if you've ever seen anyone hand-prop a
Continental TSIO-520 on a P210? Back in the 1990s, a buddy of mine and I flew somewhere for
breakfast in his P210. Came back out to the plane after breakfast to find that the battery was almost
dead. (I have a PPL license w/instrument rating). I hopped in the left seat and stood on the brakes
while my friend pulled the prop through until the engine fired! Must have taken him 15 to 20 tries before
it came to life! He had worked up quite a sweat too. True story!
Old 08-14-2023, 01:11 PM
P210Nagain

I've done it once myself with a 520 on the left side of a Baron sometime around '93. It'll get your attention, that's for sure. I was working the line shack for an FBO a hundred or so years ago. It was the dead of Winter and the owner of the aircraft said he "had to go." So I said something to the effect, "watch this!" After pulling the prop through a few times, he hopped-in, made the mags hot and away he went. He must've tried for ten or fifteen minutes to get that engine running before hand.

PSA, Don't try that at home.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:59 PM
V35BFLYER

My first one was a '66 Deb w/225hp IO-470K.
Had an IO-520 in my '70 V35B. I loved that airplane! Sold it many, many years ago.
Almost, almost bought a Baron after selling the Bo. But not one with a pair of 285hp 520s. I think the 260s (IO-470N) were a better engine....
Old 12-06-2023, 07:33 AM
hannah76

@Rontins.... How's it going? Were you able to finish the Cessna?